r

I use 8x binos in combination with a light weight 55mm spotting scope.

Binos help me scan to locate animals. Spotter helps me figure out if animals are legal targets, and also helps me check out bedding areas, where I might not be able to see an entire animal with my binos, but could possibly see a flicking ear or antlers with my spotter.

We had a Nikon ED50 I believe it was and my 20-60x80 on a hunt. I spotted a group of deer a few miles away with my bino's. You could tell 1 was a buck with the Nikon. You could tell all 4 were bucks with the bigger spotter and that one was worth going after. Only time I have really compared them in the field was on that hunt.

EastMT

WKR
I carry a Nikon ED50. The original factory eyepiece (13-30) is pretty poor. I purchased the 13-40 MCII eyepiece and it is phenomenal. It is not as bright at daylight and dusk as a large scope, but it is clear all the way to 40 power. I think the body is 350 or so on ebay, and the eyepiece around 270, not cheap but at 21oz and compact, also don't need a 4lb tripod to stabilize it. I don't want to say this out loud on the interweb, but I just sold my Swarovski ATS that I purchased because of this scope. I cant justify the cost difference for the increase in image quality.

Yes I know the advantages of swaro, don't derail the thead(preemptive strike) this is about 50mm which they do not offer at this time. Ive heard the new prominar 55 is amazing, but again, more than I want to invest.

mcseal2

WKR
I have a Nikon ED50 that has served me well. I used it as my only spotter for a few years and got by pretty well. I eventually bought a Swaro ATS 20-60x80HD primarily for the low light advantage of the bigger scope. The Nikon still went in my pack most times and the Swaro was mostly used on the window mount. I really liked having the small spotter along rifle hunting elk when I needed to see if a bull I spotted with my binos was broke up or not before committing to going after him up or across the canyon.

Last summer I bought the new Kowa 55mm spotter and it is amazing. I have decided to sell both the Nikon ED50 and the Swaro and just run this spotter for all my use. I'm using 15x Swaro binos for so much of my glassing the spotter is seldom used for anything other than sizing up game found with the binos. I'm already packing enough weight if I take my 10x42 Leica Geovid HD-B's in my chest harness and the 15x binos without taking the big Swaro spotter. Also I have more invested in spotters than I should for how limited my use of them is now. If I'm walking a long way elk or antelope hunting I'll just take the Leica Geovids and the Kowa with tripod mounts for both. Muley hunting the 15x Swaros go too. Anytime I'm not walking to terrible far I'll take all 3.

The downsides to the Kowa are the field of view and cost. I didn't look up the numbers, but I know from playing with both side by side the Kowa seems to have a smaller field of view and a bit touchier eye relief. I think its due to the increased magnification range. The ED50 with the 11-33 eyepiece (which I actually like) is easier to find and follow game with. The Kowa has a sharper image and is significantly better in low light, but the ED50 is no slouch. I've always been impressed with what it does for it's size/cost. For me the Kowa is better since I'm seldom locating game with the spotter, but if I was finding game with the spotter I might not say that.

Send me a PM if you are interested in the ED50. It's not as good as the Kowa, but it is darn good for what it costs and 9oz lighter than the Kowa with protective cases on each of them. I use the factory case for the ED50 and a Vortex 50mm Razor case for the Kowa.

Last edited:

Dakhunter

FNG
Nikon spotter

Hey....I'm new to Rokslide and enjoy the content. I did my first backpack hunt last year and don't own a spotter. I've been sort searching for a Nikon 50ed....if interested in selling, let me know? I'd also be interested in knowing what eye piece it has too?

Thanks
Darin