r

i bought a 15' long cable and pad lock. wrap around a tree and call it good? at least that's my thought. I'm kind of in the same boat as you.

Not familiar with the area in question or the rules, but could you pull it off trail 10 yards into some thick brush? Throw a camo net and natural vegetation on it?

The ATV nobody sees is the one that doesn’t get stolen. Pad locks are easily defeated.

TheCougar

WKR
Probably not the most legal answer, but I try to hide my quad by parking it a little off the trail. I’ve also toyed with setting up a camera on it. Not for prevention, but for retribution.

Grumman

WKR
If thieves are there they will likely get it even if cabled. I’d second the insurance advice and consider getting a gps tracker to put on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting topic. Never given it much thought to be honest.

Off trail with camo netting seems like a solid idea. GPS tracker could have multiple utilities but I wonder what it costs.

I wonder about those bike cables and ulocks. You would need a lot more than a set of bolt cutters to remove those.

Has anyone here actually had their ATV stolen or messed with while parked at a Trailhead? If so, where, and what would you do differently? I have never had any problems in Colorado, nor have I heard of anyone having theft issues here in the National Forest. I'm sure it happens but if it were common I would think news of that would circulate more on a local level.

Ranger619

WKR
I have used the cable/padlock option and also have left it unlocked. I haven't had a problem yet, but am concerned that it will be there when I come back. I could probably wrap the winch cable around a tree and tighten it too.

Insurance. If someone really wants it they will take it. That said a lock of some kind may deter the opportunistic thief. One of those motion alarms may help.

My buddy (this is So. California mind you) hides his in brush then removes a spark plug and replaces it with a busted one. One time he heard some asshat trying to start it and he fired a shot when he was 20' away. The guy nearly had a heart attack. My pal had shot into the ground but this guy didn't know that...and then told the would-be thief he had twenty seconds to get outta range. Was probably tough to run in jeans filled with BM but he moved pretty quick. LOL

davsco

WKR
funny stuff right there. literally scared the crap out of the would-be thief.

davsco

WKR
yeah i sure would hate being 5 miles from the truck and find no atv where i left it.

I also just pull key also and leave it. But again like others have stated that’s why i have it insured. But i also feel the areas I’m leaving my UTV there isn’t going to be much activity around anyways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I winch nice and close to a good sized tree. Not gonna stop someone determined though. Thought of pulling a tire and stashing it. Definitely get a locking gas cap, dont wanna make it that easy for someone to mess with your fuel system. No fooproof way that ive seen. Keep us posted if you find any GPS alternatives.

K

Kootenay Hunter

Locks only keep honest people out and a bolt cutter is a common tool in the thief's toolbox, along with cordless grinders.

What about a hidden kill switch? Too easy to find with some time?

I'd assume it's far enough off of roads to require someone to drive it out, so disabling it to be driven out, whether it be the spark plug trick, remove and hide a wheel, hide another critical part would work pretty good.

Pretty tough to hide an atv off a trail without making some sort of track to where it was stashed unless you spend time repositioning bushes, etc.

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
I keep mine locked in my shop during hunting season but on other trips Iv disabled it plug wires battery cable something light and easy to throw in the pack. Also disabled one I found a couple miles into a wilderness area game warden chewed my arse pretty good when I gave him the plug wires but also thanked me for the waypoint and tip off.