Radial head fracture

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
Have you had anyone show you some exercises for it? If so, you can disregard...Active range of motion exercises to maintain full elbow extension and forearm supination would be in order, but if there's a fracture there (even non-displaced) you need to keep activity pain free while it is healing. Take the joint to the edge of the motion, but don't stretch into the restriction and cause pain during the first phase of rehab. Bone pain will sneak up on you more than soft tissue pain. Push it too hard and that night/the following morning is when you're going to feel it. So progress slowly to avoid pain and inflammation. You're main goal right now should be to keep your elbow, forearm, and wrist moving enough to keep it from tightening up and losing range of motion, while avoiding inflammation.

RLGrats

FNG
Had close to the same deal. A bit more distal - closer to the neck. No role for immobilization here. Above poster is spot on, stay active, but you will know when you need to stop - the pain will limit you. You’ll get better at knowing what movements are OK and which ones aren’t, and with the pain from the fracture you’ll learn quick. Use ibuprofen for low grade aching pain, that should subside in a few weeks, you will get zingers of pain with movement that loads the radial head (pushing and a certain amount of probation/supination) but as it heals your pain free range of motion will improve. Usually it’s about an 8 week deal. Hang in there...you’ll be ok for this fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
justin davis
Have you had anyone show you some exercises for it? If so, you can disregard...Active range of motion exercises to maintain full elbow extension and forearm supination would be in order, but if there's a fracture there (even non-displaced) you need to keep activity pain free while it is healing. Take the joint to the edge of the motion, but don't stretch into the restriction and cause pain during the first phase of rehab. Bone pain will sneak up on you more than soft tissue pain. Push it too hard and that night/the following morning is when you're going to feel it. So progress slowly to avoid pain and inflammation. You're main goal right now should be to keep your elbow, forearm, and wrist moving enough to keep it from tightening up and losing range of motion, while avoiding inflammation.

Thanks for the advice.
Yea the Dr showed told he wanted me to try and straiten it. Also rotate my hand
But said not to bend my arm in less than 90 degrees

I go back on Tuesday to get an X-ray to see if it’s Healing.

OP
justin davis
Had close to the same deal. A bit more distal - closer to the neck. No role for immobilization here. Above poster is spot on, stay active, but you will know when you need to stop - the pain will limit you. You’ll get better at knowing what movements are OK and which ones aren’t, and with the pain from the fracture you’ll learn quick. Use ibuprofen for low grade aching pain, that should subside in a few weeks, you will get zingers of pain with movement that loads the radial head (pushing and a certain amount of probation/supination) but as it heals your pain free range of motion will improve. Usually it’s about an 8 week deal. Hang in there...you’ll be ok for this fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ok thanks. The question I have is.. 6-8 weeks is about the average for healing it seems. Once it’s healed does that mean it’s just healed..or like
Can I resume bow shooting?

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
By 8 weeks the fracture should be healed pretty well. Older age, poor diet, smoking, and inflammation at the fracture site can all slow healing and extend that time though. The tissue at the fracture site will continue to change and adapt to the stresses of your normal activities for quite a while though, so you should plan on working back into normal activities over several weeks when the time comes. There are too many variables to give you a more definite timeline than that from across the internet.

Ultimately I think the recommendation of when to return to certain activities should come from your doctor, they have the imaging and can make the call better than we can. Write down your questions and take them to the follow-up next week, that way you won't forget anything while you're there. Questions I would want to ask would be: When can I start stretching to reach full motion? When can I start bearing weight through that arm? When can I start resisted strengthening exercises? When will that fracture be able to handle the traction forces needed to draw my bow?

prm

WKR
Justin, get well soon my man!

That’s one of the few things I have not broken so I can’t be of much help. But you’ve got youth on your side so you’ll heal up quick!

Gus_284

FNG
I broke mine a few years back mountain biking. It was my right (drawing) arm. I was in a cast from my wrist to my shoulder because everything was being held in place by a tiny sliver of bone, doctor advised if that broke off surgery was my only option. It wasn’t fun, hurt like hell for two days when I did it, itched like hell for three out of my eight weeks in the cast and physical therapy was torture to try and get range of motion back. I had to borrow a bow tech fuel and set it to it lowest setting and work my way back up to a full 70 pounds. Good news was I broke it in late April was out of the cast by late June and was packing out a bull I killed with my bow by mid September. Just be patient and ease back into activities.

OP
justin davis
By 8 weeks the fracture should be healed pretty well. Older age, poor diet, smoking, and inflammation at the fracture site can all slow healing and extend that time though. The tissue at the fracture site will continue to change and adapt to the stresses of your normal activities for quite a while though, so you should plan on working back into normal activities over several weeks when the time comes. There are too many variables to give you a more definite timeline than that from across the internet.

Ultimately I think the recommendation of when to return to certain activities should come from your doctor, they have the imaging and can make the call better than we can. Write down your questions and take them to the follow-up next week, that way you won't forget anything while you're there. Questions I would want to ask would be: When can I start stretching to reach full motion? When can I start bearing weight through that arm? When can I start resisted strengthening exercises? When will that fracture be able to handle the traction forces needed to draw my bow?

ok thanks. I will ask those questions. Yea the Dr didn’t seem to impressed by the break ha. Made
It sound like it should heal pretty quick. But I will defiantly ask those questions.

OP
justin davis
I broke mine a few years back mountain biking. It was my right (drawing) arm. I was in a cast from my wrist to my shoulder because everything was being held in place by a tiny sliver of bone, doctor advised if that broke off surgery was my only option. It wasn’t fun, hurt like hell for two days when I did it, itched like hell for three out of my eight weeks in the cast and physical therapy was torture to try and get range of motion back. I had to borrow a bow tech fuel and set it to it lowest setting and work my way back up to a full 70 pounds. Good news was I broke it in late April was out of the cast by late June and was packing out a bull I killed with my bow by mid September. Just be patient and ease back into activities.

Oh wow! Yours sounds much worse than mine. So that give me hope that ill be hunting in September

OP
justin davis
Well it’s been 7 weeks. I went to the dr and got an x ray. He said the fracture looks like it has healed up nicely. Said I can get back to normal. My elbow is stiffer than it should be and lost a lot of range of motion. So I have to work on That.

@justin davis I'm recovering from the same injury and curious to hear how you fared long term? I am 8 weeks out and cannot straighten my arm, but am fairly close at this point.

I haven't shot a bow yet, but confirmed I can draw 60# at least once without too much pain. I have also lifted some heavy furniture and junk clearing out a storage shed. Probably not my brightest idea, but I have since had an XRay that verified nothing changed. I'm optimistic that I will be able to hunt opening day this year.

OP
justin davis
@justin davis I'm recovering from the same injury and curious to hear how you fared long term? I am 8 weeks out and cannot straighten my arm, but am fairly close at this point.

I haven't shot a bow yet, but confirmed I can draw 60# at least once without too much pain. I have also lifted some heavy furniture and junk clearing out a storage shed. Probably not my brightest idea, but I have since had an XRay that verified nothing changed. I'm optimistic that I will be able to hunt opening day this year.
I’m doing good with my arm. I lost some range of motion (Bent closed and arm strait). But I think there is always some loss of range when it happens. I was able to hunt that fall. And my arm seems to be back to normal. Sounds like you will Be too.

ElkNut1

WKR
Justin, wow! Man take it easy out there bud! You're a persistent guy, you'll do fine & be back in the saddle in no time! Just don't rush it!

ElkNut

Scoot

WKR
Well that sucks! Glad to hear you didn't do any really catastrophic damage to anything, but still that stinks. Good luck in recovery and I have no doubt you'll be drawing/shooting your bow soon.