Radioactive battery?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
If this works, I would love to have one. Curious how many others would be willing to use one (obviously provided it does not leak radiation) to avoid needing to carry battery backups.

I'm also going to hazard a gues that they would not provide high enough output for high drain devices such as headlamps. But, I wonder if they could be paired with a rechargeable battery.

Or, perhaps the capaciter could hold enough to take that role. Problem at the moment is capaciters are not nearly as energy dense as Li-ion batteries, so I wonder how heavy this would be to get one to a close aproximation of the output of an 18650 for 10-20 minutes?

All of those very popular granite countertops put off radiation along with many other natural materials. And to think, we fill our homes with some, open our windows and let it in via sunlight...

street

WKR
Wonder how quick they'll slap the Cali prop 95 sticker on that bad boy.

Sign me up for one of those.

22lr

WKR
Its interesting tech, if it can scale and be tested/proven safe it would be pretty interesting. Like all things new, will be uber expensive to start but could come down in cost with wide spread adaption. In my opinion (that doesn't mean much) they would be better served by targeting a larger product host like a laptop. Give them more room to work with, while developing it smaller and smaller. I dont see this being used in phones right off the bat... but I may be wrong...

Moserkr

WKR
Heard of that a while ago. From what i remember... A small amount (pea size i believe) of nuclear waste encased in a diamond would put out the energy of a AA battery with a half-life of 7500 years! The diamond virtually stops all radiation leaking out too making it supposedly very safe. Problem is you get enough together and remove the radioactive waste, you have materials for a dirty bomb... so dont expect to ever see this be available for common folk. Also, energy and oil companies would be pissed if you could pass down an energy source for 100 generations or more...

Love the idea. One problem is, how would we prevent the scattering of these batteries through all landfills? Maybe the amount of radiation they emit is very small, but I have confidence the human affinity for throwing shit away is high enough we'd be able to create some superfund landfills with these.

That'd be great if they could be adapted to electric car use. There's not much of an industry for lithium recovery from spent batteries. And I'm guessing it's pretty resource and energy intensive to do

My thought as well, how do you dispose of it?
And why make a battery that lasts 2800 years when most electronics can’t make it 5 years?

Instead of stealing catalytic converters, tweakers will be stealing radioactive batteries.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I don't think I've ever had to change my batteries on anything I use during a 30 day hunting season. After the season is over, I also take the batteries out and then use them again the next year. But if they ever expect me to buy an electric vehicle, this is the kind of battery I would need in it. That's the biggest limiting factor to an EV IMO. At a minimum I'd want a 500 mile range and instant charge capability, but a battery that would last a lifetime would be even better.

Wapiti1

WKR
I agree. To make an EV feasible outside of the power grid, even with fast charging, the power source would have to be more or less perpetual. Even on a 5 day hunt, I can put a lot of mileage on my truck after I'm there. Most of the time I have 10-20 gallons of extra diesel so I don't have to run to town.

It's an interesting technology. More evidence that we aren't there yet, though.

Jeremy