Raft/motor options for fly in

cardiac5

Lil-Rokslider
Trying to figure out what boat and motor to get for a fly in hunt. I’ve looked at almost everything using the search function in the moose section using boat, motor, jet, and raft as key words. We are looking at flying into a lake as our first option. Yes, we do have a pilot. We are very familiar with zodiacs. I’m looking to see if anyone has used jet tech, chugach rafts, or any other preferred inflatable. I’m also open to motor preferences. We have a 6hp and 40hp kicker. Going to be selling the 40 for something else. Most everyone has only floated for moose so fly in will be new. I see a lot of people using alpacka rafts but we thought a motor would be nice depending on the size of the lake. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Might look at a kaboat with a 10hp kicker on it. A canoe with a transom might be nice too. I can’t imagine flying into a somewhere with a 40hp motor.

40 is a big pretty big piece. Good call ditching it on fly in. I don’t know much about the rafts, but I can’t imagine One that flys in well and hangs a 40. That’s a damn boat.

OP
cardiac5

cardiac5

Lil-Rokslider
We’re selling the 40 for a different motor. Looking at getting a jet for river use. That thing is like 300lbs, no way we would fly it in lol

Good deal.

I don’t Know what a 40 four stroke weighs, but I’ve got a 40 etec on a river boat and I doubt its 300#. Could be wrung though.

OP
cardiac5

cardiac5

Lil-Rokslider
Good deal.

I don’t Know what a 40 four stroke weighs, but I’ve got a 40 etec on a river boat and I doubt its 300#. Could be wrung though.

You’re correct I just looked it up. It’s 240lb, this one is an etec also.

ppumil

FNG
Kaboat can fly easily enough but they will add 125-150 lbs with motor (6-9 HP and is light but you can also just rent a bigger motor up there). I have flown mine without the motor and had enough weight to take a 50-75 lb motor no issue in a Beaver with 2 guys. Weight will be your limiting factor and your transporters plane. You can make more trips in a smaller plane I guess.
Keeping the motor running and gas logistics was my reason not to take motor. You want a 2 stroke also in my opinion and in the opinion of renters up there. They can be turned any which way and will start but a 4 stroke is notorious for being put on the wrong side and you are screwed(well I am cause I am not a good mechanic). HA!
My 2 cents - NOT AN EXPERT FOR SURE!!! Just some life experiences.

Dbevans

Lil-Rokslider
Hey, I have a 2 stroke 25hp jet I might be down to sell or trade with cash for the 40hp. The jet weighs 125 pounds. I also have a chugach mountain raft which is a pretty sweet setup

I’ve only flown in a boat w/ motor on two of my hunts. Both times had an Inmar raft with a 5 hp merc. Worked great for two guys. It’s the same setup I plan to take this year. Would never claim it’s the best option as it’s the only motor combo I’ve used for this scenario, but I was happy with it.

Mercury now makes a 5 hp propane. That’s worth looking into. Just bring one tank for Arctic Oven and boat and not deal with gas at all!

E3C4D4FB-E549-461D-B3E5-F3EAAFEC10F5.jpeg

OP
cardiac5

cardiac5

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry, I just figured out Tapatalk completely quit sending notifications to my phone . I’ve been researching some of those motors that burn propane. They look very handy in the bush. Dbevans I’ll send you a pm.