Rage NC for elk? Thoughts?

Kevrod3

FNG
I have used Slick Trick Originals in the past and regular Hypodermic +P Rages,( didn't shoot an elk with the Rage)
The NC are 2" cut, where the +P is 1.5 but you don't have to worry about the collar...
Kinda torn, what do you guys think?
Shooting 28.5" at 70lbs. 435gr arrow out of a Hoyt Carbon Defiant 34

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
Green light. I'll be using the NC this year for elk. It's all about using what you're confident in and shot placement anyways.

Lytro

WKR
2” cuts are sweet, but I’d rather shoot a fixed blade at an elk and punch a hole through both sides. A fixed will give you a lot more opportunity without needing to wait for a broadside shot as well (ie. quartering towards). I deflected badly off a rib with a rage on a whitetail on a slight quarter away a few years ago that left a pretty bad impression. I have no doubts that same shot with an exodus would’ve exited out the far shoulder, resulting in an extremely quick kill.

Go for it. I use trypans and last year on elk it was devastating. The blood trail was incredible. Expandable heads are night/day between just a few years ago.

I know the guy that co-designed the new Rage NCs, and co-designed the old Rages. I talked to him recently and he was never the biggest fan of the old production Rages for elk but he likes the new NCs much more. He recommended only using them for elk if shooting above 65lbs and a fairly heavy arrow.

I think it really comes down to personal preference of fixed vs mechanical. If you are ok using mechanicals I wouldn't hesitate to use a Rage NC. I personally prefer fixed.