Rage trypan 150 grains

River_Rat

FNG
I'm a big believer in the rage broadheads. Have seen way to many animals die with them not to be. I've seen anywhere to 4 to 500 deer taken with them with zero broadhead failure. I work at a hunting property that kills 100+ whitetails a year and 95 percent of the hunters use rage. My question is has anyone shot the rage trypan 150 grain crossbow broadhead out of a compound? I'm making the jump from whitetail to elk this year and I'm having a lot harder of a time deciding on a broadhead than I ever thought I would.

If it’s weight you’re after (because the cut is the same as the 100-gr.), you could always shoot the 100-grain head and add front end component/insert weight to effectively achieve the 150 grains of point weight. I think John Dudley shoots the 100-grain on an Easton Axis with a 50-grain brass insert, or something like that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Zac

WKR
I think your logic is really off here, your talking about two entirely different target mediums. Not saying you couldn't use a mechanical and have success. Would be helpful to know your bow specs. Also it may not be advisable to add an additional 50 grains to the front of your shaft.

I think your logic is really off here, your talking about two entirely different target mediums. Not saying you couldn't use a mechanical and have success. Would be helpful to know your bow specs. Also it may not be advisable to add an additional 50 grains to the front of your shaft.

Zac is right.

I didn’t mean to mislead you. I took it for granted that you apply the additional front weight to the proper arrow spine.

Whether or not to use a mechanical at all, much less the mentioned Rage, is another argument into which I did not venture. You seemed to qualify that you were comfortable with your position on using a Rage in the first place. So, I didn’t really try to move you off that point nor litigate its merits.

OP
R

River_Rat

FNG
I'm shooting a mathews halon 32 with 29 inch draw and 70 # draw weight. My arrow is a easton axis 300 spine. Arrow weight with a 100 grain tip is 467 grains. So arrow weight with a 150 grain rage would be somewhere in the ball park of 515 to 520 grains. Nor sure about fps but its not slow by any means. Im super confident in the rage broadhead on smaller thin skinned game like deer. Ive just never had the chance to shoot a bigger game animal before with the a rage. I have killed 15 to 20 hogs with rage broadheads with great luck but thats as far as it goes. I have been shooting the silverflames xl 150 grains and they fly great just are noisy in flight. O and my bow groups a lot hetter with a 150 grain tip than 125 or 100.

Reactions: Zac

Zac

WKR
I'm shooting a mathews halon 32 with 29 inch draw and 70 # draw weight. My arrow is a easton axis 300 spine. Arrow weight with a 100 grain tip is 467 grains. So arrow weight with a 150 grain rage would be somewhere in the ball park of 515 to 520 grains. Nor sure about fps but its not slow by any means. Im super confident in the rage broadhead on smaller thin skinned game like deer. Ive just never had the chance to shoot a bigger game animal before with the a rage. I have killed 15 to 20 hogs with rage broadheads with great luck but thats as far as it goes. I have been shooting the silverflames xl 150 grains and they fly great just are noisy in flight. O and my bow groups a lot hetter with a 150 grain tip than 125 or 100.
Man if you already have the 150 Silver Flames I'd say you are set. I'm not saying you can't kill elk with a 2 inch mech, but it's definitely not ideal.

I'm sure it will work fine. I shoot axis 300 with either a 50g brass insert and 125gr head or 75gr insert and a 100 gr head with good success on a few elk. With your current arrows it is easy to go with the 150g Broadhead.

For future arrows you can look at the brass inserts and use a more common head. You can always pull the inserts out of your current arrows and put in the the brass ones if you are concerned about using a "crossbow" head, but that's just marketing.

nphunter

WKR
Man if you already have the 150 Silver Flames I'd say you are set. I'm not saying you can't kill elk with a 2 inch mech, but it's definitely not ideal.

IMO there isn't a better setup out there than a Trypan for killing elk out of the right bow, with the OP's set up it will work awesome for him. Shooting a 500gr+ arrow out of a 70lb bow with a COC head you are taking all of that energy and putting in the dirt behind the animal. Now if your shooting lightweight arrows or a super short draw sure put a COC head-on. The last elk I killed with a COC head I shot with a 400gr arrow and that arrow zipped through the elk so fast and far that we never found the arrow, it also left a crappy blood trail just like every other elk i've ever killed with a small COC head. The only elk I haven't gotten a pass-through on was one I hit directly in the shoulder socket at 20 yards with a 67lb CST, Easton Injexion with a Slick Trick head, I got trail cam pictures of that bull two years later, I honestly don't think an arrow on the planet would have saved me on that shot.

River Rat, There is a great thread on Archery Talk in the Western Hunting section on the Trypan used specifically on elk, I can tell you from personal experience that they are devastating and very durable. Shoot what you are comfortable with and gives you the most confidence, the Trypan is more durable and well built than a lot of fixed heads I've shot and hold up just as well or better.

This arrow was shot as a follow-up shot, it was a hard quartered toward a shot at a dying bedded bull from 30ish yards, the arrow went through a pile of muscle, the front top of the shoulder plate, the very top of his ribs, his windpipe and stopped inside of the elk at the back of his vitals. The arrow was 480gr shot from a 74lb CST with a 27.5" draw. You can see the crease of his front shoulder right above my fingers in the picture, the first picture you can see where the arrow went into the upper ribs behind the front shoulder. I didn't get a picture of the shoulder when I was butchering the elk, this year I will take more pictures on the two bulls we kill with Trypan.

The first arrow was a pass-through but lower than I would have liked right where the diaphram meets the vitals, as soon as I hit you could see blood running out like a garden hose, the bull walked 20 yards and laid down while all 30 of his cows ran off. He would have easily died from the first arrow but I am of the belief that if they are still breathing and you can you should put another arrow in them.

03A24A36-1DFB-4C8D-ABB3-473919E91528.jpeg

The head still spins true and the only thing wrong is that the tips of the blades are slightly bent back, I am keeping it as a practice head and honestly, they are super easy to sharpen and I would have no issue shooting it again.
155E928A-9EC8-427F-A73E-CCA15B0B4037.jpeg
D0335208-F755-45B1-ABB4-E86541BFE788.jpeg
FA3365FA-A01E-44C4-8BD9-FE6DF9C9F692.jpeg

Last edited:

Zac

WKR
IMO there isn't a better setup out there than a Trypan for killing elk out of the right bow, with the OP's set up it will work awesome for him. Shooting a 500gr+ arrow out of a 70lb bow with a COC head you are taking all of that energy and putting in the dirt behind the animal. Now if your shooting lightweight arrows or a super short draw sure put a COC head-on. The last elk I killed with a COC head I shot with a 400gr arrow and that arrow zipped through the elk so fast and far that we never found the arrow, it also left a crappy blood trail just like every other elk i've ever killed with a small COC head. The only elk I haven't gotten a pass-through on was one I hit directly in the shoulder socket at 20 yards with a 67lb CST, Easton Injexion with a Slick Trick head, I got trail cam pictures of that bull two years later, I honestly don't think an arrow on the planet would have saved me on that shot.

River Rat, There is a great thread on Archery Talk in the Western Hunting section on the Trypan used specifically on elk, I can tell you from personal experience that they are devastating and very durable. Shoot what you are comfortable with and gives you the most confidence, the Trypan is more durable and well built than a lot of fixed heads I've shot and hold up just as well or better.

This arrow was shot as a follow-up shot, it was a hard quartered toward a shot at a dying bedded bull from 30ish yards, the arrow went through a pile of muscle, the front top of the shoulder plate, the very top of his ribs, his windpipe and stopped inside of the elk at the back of his vitals. The arrow was 480gr shot from a 74lb CST with a 27.5" draw. You can see the crease of his front shoulder right above my fingers in the picture, the first picture you can see where the arrow went into the upper ribs behind the front shoulder. I didn't get a picture of the shoulder when I was butchering the elk, this year I will take more pictures on the two bulls we kill with Trypan.

The first arrow was a pass-through but lower than I would have liked right where the diaphram meets the vitals, as soon as I hit you could see blood running out like a garden hose, the bull walked 20 yards and laid down while all 30 of his cows ran off. He would have easily died from the first arrow but I am of the belief that if they are still breathing and you can you should put another arrow in them.

View attachment 193851

The head still spins true and the only thing wrong is that the tips of the blades are slightly bent back, I am keeping it as a practice head and honestly, they are super easy to sharpen and I would have no issue shooting it again.
View attachment 193848
View attachment 193849
View attachment 193850
NP what is your opinion on the new No Collar vs the Trypan and standard Hypodermic?

nphunter

WKR
NP what is your opinion on the new No Collar vs the Trypan and standard Hypodermic?

I have only held a package of NC's not owned them, but I had the regular hypo's prior to the trypan and they do not compare to the trypans as far as blade thickness. The NC uses the same blade thickness as the original hypos which made them undesirable for me. Both can be removed and sharpened but the trypan blades are significantly thicker and easier to sharpen and they also have a steeper blade angle. I take all of mine and make sure you can shave hair with them.

I have had zero issues with the collars, it is a pain to change them after each shot but honestly, they are very reliable and keep the blades closed, some people have used small rubber bands for practicing to save on collars or dental floss wrapped around but I just use the collars, pretty cheap considering everything else I'm shooting.

I have a dozen Trypans already so by the time I kill a dozen elk with them there should be some pretty good feedback on the NC heads. They are really too new of ahead to get a lot of feedback on, similar to Sevr and the Hyde, you hear mixed reports on the heads, I will let others be the test dummies for them and shoot a proven durable, reliable head.

Reactions: Zac

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'll have a 150gr Trypan in my quiver this year. That doesn't mean that's the arrow I'm going to grab, but it will be in there and I've been wanting to try them out on an elk.........or maybe a sheep.

I'll have a 150gr Trypan in my quiver this year. That doesn't mean that's the arrow I'm going to grab, but it will be in there and I've been wanting to try them out on an elk.........or maybe a sheep.
I'm shooting 150 grain heads and having a hell of a time finding any mechs that size that aren't labeled for crossbow.

Does the diameter of the ferrule match up with the diameter of your arrow well?

Mmomn

Lil-Rokslider
This is the diameter of the washer behind the retainer on the 150 Rage

Attachments

• 20210529_163430.jpg
    20210529_163430.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 12

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm shooting 150 grain heads and having a hell of a time finding any mechs that size that aren't labeled for crossbow.

Does the diameter of the ferrule match up with the diameter of your arrow well?
I don't worry about the diameter differences regardless which is bigger because the blades are going to open up a hole larger than either. Also, the only difference between the regular Trypans and Crossbow Trypans is the color and stiffness of the cups. IMO that's not going to matter when the head hits an animal, although the stiffer ones might prevent the blades from opening in the quiver a little better.

I have some new in package crossbow 150's and 100's that I want to get rid of. I have an OCD habit of pushing my arrows into the hood foam even while hiking, so I can't keep Rage heads closed. They're not for me.