Rage Trypan for Elk?

Lpmeyer1

FNG
I drew any any elk tag in a decent area this year, so I’m optimistic that I’ll get a shot. I’ve been thinking of running the trypan this year, but wanted to get some feedback. My set up is: 28.5 draw, 67 lb, 445 grain of total arrow weight. I appreciate the feedback. Additionally, as a backup plan I my run the new Kudu Point with the bleeders.

Zac

WKR
I would say no, however this is probably a good question for nphunter. I'd send him a DM on here. He has alot of experience with that head on elk specifically.

Dvidos

Lil-Rokslider
I would say no, however this is probably a good question for nphunter. I'd send him a DM on here. He has alot of experience with that head on elk specifically.
+1
prod.jpg

wapitibob

WKR
You'll be just fine if you can hit what you're aiming at. There's a long post on archery talk, western forum on that head and Elk specifically.

waldo9190

Lil-Rokslider
I know multiple people who have killed elk with them, and they will be in my quiver in Oregon this year. Haven't seen a blade/ferrule break on any of the heads that took elk.

I hadn’t considered the +p/NC. Thoughts?
With elk I want all the penetration I can get. They can be thick! 2 holes better than one. I won't use a mech that needs a collar/band since I always loose them :LOL:. So the NC solves that. the +P is 1.75" vs the 2". That is plenty to kill anything, and will help with penetration, especially on a bigger animal.

Ucsdryder

WKR
4 blade kudu out of your setup sounds pretty sweet. I might give mechanicals a go this year but I have momentum to spare.

yoopshoot

Lil-Rokslider
I plan on running them this year on my elk hunt- never shot an elk though. Really like their devastation on white tails/bear, but I’m running a heavy setup. 80lb/31” draw and 550 gr. arrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TxxAgg

WKR
Mechanicals have thin, weak blades. Shoot something with some meat to it.

Gearqueer

Lil-Rokslider
Trypan worked for me last year on a 6x6. The bull ran 50 yards, but it wasn’t much of a test because I hit him in the pump station. I am a big believer in Rage broad heads from whitetail and turkey experience. That being said, elk seem to be a stretch for them, and I’m going to fixed blades this year.

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
I had 125 grain trypans last year - didn't release an arrow so no results yet. I will probably use them again this year for an antlerless elk hunt because I don't have time to pick a broadhead and tune due to overwhelming work schedule from now until hunt - BUT, I will be switching to fixed. At any given time, I had at least one broadhead in my quiver where the band slipped off. Once, I knocked an arrow and noticed later that the band was loose.

When I start a stalk, I don't have time to check the arrow head. Once it happened once, we kept checking but it was a recurring issue.

SoDaky

WKR
I wouldn't with my set up but definitely read the AT thread referenced by W Bob.A lot of support for using them there-with pics and proven elk hunters.

whaack

WKR
Full disclosure I’m a whitetail guy. Been elk hunting in CO the past couple years and I took Rage Trypans with me.

After reading the Archerytalk thread Im convinced that a sturdy mechanical head is a great option for elk.

I’ve watched hundreds of elk hunting videos and over 90% don’t have a pass through with all sorts of heads. So then if that’s the case I want the biggest single hole I can get with as much damage as possible.

I might be wrong, but some long time elk slayers on AT agree with me so who knows?

Zac

WKR
With elk I want all the penetration I can get. They can be thick! 2 holes better than one. I won't use a mech that needs a collar/band since I always loose them :LOL:. So the NC solves that. the +P is 1.75" vs the 2". That is plenty to kill anything, and will help with penetration, especially on a bigger animal.
Definitely not the head you want to use for the most penetration. IW S100 would still fly very well and out penetrate any mechanical, as well as any other 100 grain head on the market.

I have been using the Trypan on elk the last 2 years. I have killed only cows, one at 30yds and one at 70yds and both tipped over within eyesight. I double lunged both cows without a complete pass through. I will have them in my quiver again this year, very capable broadhead.