Rage Trypan for Elk?

Full disclosure I’m a whitetail guy. Been elk hunting in CO the past couple years and I took Rage Trypans with me.

After reading the Archerytalk thread Im convinced that a sturdy mechanical head is a great option for elk.

I’ve watched hundreds of elk hunting videos and over 90% don’t have a pass through with all sorts of heads. So then if that’s the case I want the biggest single hole I can get with as much damage as possible.

I might be wrong, but some long time elk slayers on AT agree with me so who knows?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have only seen a handful of arrows not go thru and thru on elk. I wouldn't go off of those videos. You want an arrow that can easily pass through broadside. Sometimes you need a follow up shot under less than ideal conditions. I'm not really saying not to use a mechanical, I have killed quite a few elk and witnessed even more killed with a spitfire. I am saying if your not getting a pass thru most of the time on a broadside elk I'd re-evaluate my setup. In my experience with elk you want two holes for blood trailing. An arrow stuck partway in is going to lessen the blood trail and likely cause the animal to run further. You get one lung on an elk and your talking an animal that will pretty easily go 3/4 mile if not double that.

I have helped pack probably 30+ elk. Several of those killed with a compound in the area of 55# and a 400 grain arrow coc head (60# and mechanical). No issues with pass thru with that setup when broadside. I'm not saying that's an ideal setup, I'd be shooting more weight if possible, but he is 70 with shoulder problems, and still kills one most years, with a pass thru.

Definitely not the head you want to use for the most penetration. IW S100 would still fly very well and out penetrate any mechanical, as well as any other 100 grain head on the market.

yes I know that, and have killed with the iron will v 100. The response was for the OP, who was asking about the Trypan. My suggestion was to reconsider the Trypan and look at the NC +P which would giver better penetration and increase the likelihood of a complete pass through.

Reactions: Zac
Mechanicals have thin, weak blades. Shoot something with some meat to it.
That’s a very general statement that isn’t true. The mechanic mentioned here have .035” blades (NC+P) which is thicker than most replaceable fixed blade options! Like all things over time there have been improvements.

Last edited:
That’s a very general statement that isn’t true. The mechanic mentioned here have .035” blades which is thicker than most replaceable fixed blade options! Like all thing over time there have been improvements.

Blades are actually listed as .039. But there is more to strength than just blade thickness. I'm sure this is a different rage than their early models, hope it is anyway.

The OP was asking about using a Trypan for elk which is a few years old. I am just bringing to attention that new for this year is the Rage NC (no collar) +P (penetration) which addresses a lot of my previous issues with o-rings/bands/collar/clips. And also the too wide of cut for elk (1.75" vs 2"), and a better blade angle! If someone wanted to use a mech for ELK I am saying this NC+P would be a better option
E94BC4ED-1CF5-48C4-9FD8-7263F527683D.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
Lpmeyer1

Lpmeyer1

FNG
I like the NC +p, but since it’s new this year is there an added layer of risk of the unknown? What was the experience with the 2” NC?

nphunter

WKR
The Trypan has thicker blades than the NC. I’ve only put two Trypans through elk but they were both in good shape when the came out and would be able to be sharpened and shot again.
The blade angle is also steeper on the Trypan than it looks in the pictures, the plastic collar holds it out when taking pictures but when shot it smashes out of the way and allows a steeper blade angle.
To the OP I wouldn’t hesitate to use a Trypan with that setup, honestly I’d give the NC a year or two to prove themselves personally. The Trypan is a super durable head and proven elk killer.

Here is a picture with the collar off which simulates the actual angle the blades would be at work a broken collar. Not as much as the +P but a lot steeper than they look like in the pictures.
1BB988B5-8FF3-4A09-9211-B52843D5DDA4.jpeg
EC3D0994-3415-41E6-9C7C-6193D9B16A05.jpeg
Here’s one that went through my bull last fall. Can’t really see anything wrong. One blade may have a slight bend. Honestly if I’d clean the blood off and put a collar back on I would not be able to know which one it was.
7437BDFD-92BF-4A52-B9CA-B25A6FA000F8.jpeg
457B28A8-0825-4C00-B1AC-33A848673C57.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
Lpmeyer1

Lpmeyer1

FNG
Wow great info. Trypan it is! I’ll report back if I get one. I shot buck last year with the Rage hypo and that’s what got me on the Trypan thought process. I forgot to add that I’ll be using an Axis 5mm with 4 fletch AAE hybrid vanes.

Ace12

Lil-Rokslider
Haven’t used on elk yet, but wouldn’t have a problem trusting them

Attachments

• B7EA0779-74C7-4994-916A-6095B67D2C7F.jpeg
    B7EA0779-74C7-4994-916A-6095B67D2C7F.jpeg
    683.5 KB · Views: 30

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
I can't find the packaging but I"m pretty sure I bumped up from 100 gr to 125 gr. I'll dig for a receipt. I either bought them online or Sportsman's Warehouse because that's my options.