Rain and elk

After getting back from unsuccessful 100 degree temp mule deer archery hunting this past week heading out for elk this weekend. Looks like some temp drops and possibly several continuous days of rain . Probably discussed previously , but do you guys change your strategy when hunting in the rain? Anything you've learned? Thanks

541hunter

WKR
I don’t change a thing but put on rain gear. I am hunting Rosies in the PNW and some years you would miss out on half the season if you didn’t hunt in the rain. This year is not one of those years though. Calling for 102 here on Saturday.

Jimss

WKR
It's been 90's where I will be hunting this year. Rain and cooler weather would likely mean more activity and the rut is on this time of year!

Sometimes the first day of rain is pretty quiet, after that the hunting is usually pretty good. Less people out and about most of the time as well.

Cloudy days with breaks between the rain seem to be the best where I hunt.

I don’t recall any memorable days where it just dumped rain the whole day.

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
Ive also had good success in years when we had rain. Never always killed and elk but my log shows more encounters on hunts when we've had some rain. Since I dont normally hunt elk near home, cant afford to waste any days so rain will not keep me in camp.

I suspect maybe the rain has something to do with masking scent, makes it very easy to move quietly (when trying to do so) and it does keep some folks out of the bush.

I was just looking at the weather forecast for the are i'll be heading into at the end of next week and its looking like a bit of a drop in temp and some rain.....PERFECT!!

I love hunting in the rain. Elk get active and stay out much longer. Scent is suppressed. Woods are quiet. As mentioned above, intermittent is the best, torrential downpours can keep them hunkered down a little, but still more active then when its 90 out.

rideold

WKR
If I'm carrying my bow I keep at it until it rains hard enough to challenge my blood trailing skills. Rifle hunting I don't worry as much about that. Being a hunter in Colorado I'll hole up somewhere and wait for the weather to change and then back at it. I can't say that my strategy changes....that said my success rate isn't anything to write home about. I do admit that I am guilty of pulling the covers over my head if I wake up to moderate to heavy rain at 4:00 AM!

I second/third/etc everything that has been said.. My favorite time to hunt is immediately after a semi-heavy/heavy rain passes through.. In my experience they will keep feeding/moving in a light rain if they're already moving. If its heavy they will sit it out until it slows or ideally quits, then buckle up because they'll double their effort to eat/move... Same with snow....

Only problem with rain midday, is its normally associated with fronts. Fronts= turbulent winds= busted elk.

I do like it when it rains, and passes around 6 PM and the woods are dead calm but I prefer not hunting when it rains, just makes everything miserable.