Rain Cover/Fly or Not?

Do you carry a Rain Cover/Fly as an essential item in your pack?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lcpaul22

FNG
I always take a rain cover out in my pack. Mountain weather changes in the blink of an eye and having wet gear makes for a lousy trip

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

D wine

FNG
Hey Roksliders, as always, we appreciate any feedback you can give us as we develop and improve our products, so we have a question for you:

Is a Rain Cover/Fly an essential part of your pack system?

Please take the single question survey shown above (full-site mode only, Tapa-talk doesn't support polls) and feel free to comment on the thread with your thoughts.

View attachment 165328

Good poll question. I’ve debated this for some time, but currently do not run a rain cover.

OXN939

WKR
I'd imagine if you limited this same poll to respondents that hunt in Alaska, it'd be even more one-sided. Almost every hunt I've been on up there has involved rain that would soak anything not specifically waterproofed, not only increasing the weight of what you're carrying by 1/3-1/2 but also creating a safety issue.

OP
Team Initial Ascent

Team Initial Ascent

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Question... for those with rain flys, will they work with pack overload shelves extended and full of meat? Or do they really only work for when the pack is not utilizing the expandable overload shelf?
Great question! Most are designed to be used in the standard mode otherwise they would end up much too large. Others might want to comment on other experiences with pack covers.

Just piling on, but I agree that its worth the weight to be able to keep everything dry. My current pack soaks up water so it gets a lot heavier when wet.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Bowhnter

FNG
Backcountry hunting in Alaska, I don't leave home without one. Light weight tents don't always provide a lot of vestibule space so having a pack cover to leave pack outside in whatever elements get thrown at me is essential. I know a lot of guys who don't use them and to each their own, but for me I enjoy not having a saturated pack to hike with.

Bearsears

WKR
I always had one and used it quite a bit until xpac bags came along. I've never used one since and it's so much nicer. No dry bags no covers and no wet items. Xpac is a total game changer in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

16Bore

WKR
Blaze orange fly weight cover is a multi-tool. Weighs nothing and the size of an apple. No big whoop. I’m sure some flatbrim will cry about the weight.

300wmxcr2

FNG
Both my packs have rain covers, weight is nothing don't always need it but always have it. Blaze Orange for my deer/ moose pack and camo for the sheep pack. Wet gear at the end of the day when trying to make camp and eat really sucks.

Poser

WKR
I have one, but seldom carry it in SW CO. I do keep relevant gear in dry bags inside my pack, but, after September, its snow at the elevations I hunt. Even in late September, it’s often hail or freezing rain. Now, a multi day trip during monsoon season, I’d take it with me.

Always have it. Seldom use, but there when I need it and can serve as dry spot to sit or a clean mini-tarp to put stuff on with not much weight penalty