Rain gear a must have?

weaver

WKR
I have a lot of the Russell clothing. Their outerwear is almost waterproof and I have stayed dry in light rain, never been in a downpour. Am I stupid to only wear this and not bring designated rain gear on a diy colorado elk hunt? If I need rain gear what are you all using?

Attachments

• 2017 Holton Bull.jpg
    2017 Holton Bull.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 971
I wear my Kuiu attack gear and it kept me dry in a steady rain as well. I don't think I'll spring for a full rain dedicated suit, I might just go with a sil nylon poncho and hunker down when the rain really starts coming down. Most of the time if the weather comes you head for the treeline and stay low. At least where I was in Idaho last year the weather comes in and leaves quick, so hunkering down under a small pine did the trick for me.

Honestly I ran the full KUIU system this year MINUS the CHUGACH. For the weather we had and the temps Here is what I would have run:

2 Merino 185 Tops
Guide Vest ( I am a vest guy )
Chugach Jacket
Attack Pants
Chugach Pants
Merino 185 Beanie
KUIU hat
Guide Gloves

This year was PACKED with rain where I was at and specific gear for rain would have been much appreciated above timberline.

Weaver,

Yeah, the Russell outerwear is awesome stuff and is water repellant but not what you would want when it rains for more than a few minutes. I would recommend getting some lightweight rain gear to have with you in your pack. Every time I have been on a Colorado bowhunt, I have needed good rain gear. Russell makes their own rain gear and its great; if you want to go a little lighter and save some money, I would recommend checking out Cabela's Dry-Plus Space Rain set. I used it last season and it worked out great. Not real durable if you are going to be doing some serious bushwhacking but it is really light and super compact. For me, giving up some durability is worth saving some weight and space when it comes to rain gear for early season Colorado bowhunting.

Attachments

• spdrman 2017 winner buck.jpg
    spdrman 2017 winner buck.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 1,985

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I had a Space Rain suit that ripped the first time I wore it and for no good reason ... just what happened to me. I pack a REI Kimtah eVent jacket now. That stuff is dead-nuts waterproof, and actually breathes! I heard a rumor that Kuiu uses their own branded eVent, but I don't know. I plan on trying a lot of Kuiu this year.

dotman

WKR
Everyone keeps telling me i need to add this to my pack list, i may break down and do it, my luck is bound to fail me and i'll get poured on. In the past i just didn't worry about it in CO and so far it hasn't been an issue. Lite rain just seems to dry quickly with the clothes out today.

vcb

WKR
Yes. It rains hard at times in the Co backcountry. Dedicated rain gear is a must imo. It can be light weight like cabelas space rain. But plan on a thunder storm every afternoon.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will NOT go into the backcountry without dedicated rainwear, and dang good stuff! 3 days straight in CO last year, I would have been stuck in the tent, versus chasing bugling bulls. NO WAY.

flytrait

Lil-Rokslider
I always have mine in the pack I carry the Browning thin shell similar to the cabelas Dry-Plus. It packs down small in their own bags and the weight is minimal.

BMB

Lil-Rokslider
old school MT050.....gonna be a change this year though

CritterGetter

Lil-Rokslider
No freaking way would i go into the mtns without high quality rain gear... I HATE being cold and wet. could be me softening up in my old age tho... ;)

AZCoues

FNG
Being in AZ, rain gear isn't as necessary as it can be in the north country. That being said, it rained for almost a week straight this last elk season and I still had my Russell gear packed. I hate getting wet and cold out in the backcountry and for the numerous times I never needed it, I was REALLY, REALLY glad I had it last year. Worked great.

OP
weaver

weaver

WKR
Thanks guys. I think I'm going to look into the Kuiu suff. I like my Russel gear but will be upgrading to Sitka or Kuiu when my Russell wears out.

I had some Russel last year but I left it in the truck and took my USGI poncho. What a mistake! I did return the suit and now I am trying to figure which one to get.

stephen b

WKR
I posted this in the other thread on "Cheap Packable Rain Gear"

As far as rain gear goes- I live and hunt in the temperate rain forests of Western Oregon- so I know a bit about rain. And I HATE rain gear; if I can get away without it by wearing DWR synthetic outerwear- then I will. I much prefer a soft shell, or a Graywolf Wolfskin outer jacket that may get wet, but does not get the next mid-layer wet. I have been out all day in the rain and not gotten my mid layer wet, by wearing the right outer DWR type layer. I will avoid wearing clammy rain wear at all costs sometimes. I almost never bring much in the way of rain gear on a back pack hunt- unless it is a Space Rain pullover, or a light eVent shell top.

But.... sometimes you need rain gear. Even though, for me if it is raining so hard that I need rain gear- it MAY be too hard for me to bow hunt in ( even though I am usually out in it all day long on a hunt- I just usually do not let it bother me). For cheap light weight packable rain gear- I usually always have a Cabela's Space Rain pullover in my pack- but I hardly ever pull it out. I usually do not use rain pants, other than some heavier Cabela's Rain Suede bibs for the late season November Blacktail hunts where I am mostly day hunting close to camp or vehicle and wt. is not a factor. usually I just use gators for my "rain" pants.

For durability issues with the Space rain ( I do not have the pants), I have put the Cabela's Space Rain pullover top between my mid layer and my outer thin layer and that helps when traversing through our jungle rain forests here. And then it holds up well and keeps you dry. If I was hunting in Alaska all the time, or I was a Guide that was using it 200 plus days a year- then my choice may be different. Then I would look hard at either the KUIU stuff, or wear some other outdoor manufacturer's eVent product for a top or a total set.

just my 2c. +

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Personally I don't get what is so great about soft shell style jackets like the Kuiu Guide and the Sitka 90% stuff. Its not that warm (puffy coats do better at that) and are worthless for anything more than a few minutes in the rain. I'd opted for the Chugach top/bottom from Kuiu and just run my puffy layer or just my base layer in conjunction with my rain gear to stay comfortable in different temps and exertion levels. Most of the time when hiking I am fine in just the base layer, if I stop ot glass out comes the puffy, if its super cold wear base, puffy, and rain gear.

Maybe I am missing something but I've tried to like soft shell jackets but they simply don't seem to do anything well and ended up just being in my pack taking up space/weight.

Personally I don't get what is so great about soft shell style jackets like the Kuiu Guide and the Sitka 90% stuff. Its not that warm (puffy coats do better at that) and are worthless for anything more than a few minutes in the rain. I'd opted for the Chugach top/bottom from Kuiu and just run my puffy layer or just my base layer in conjunction with my rain gear to stay comfortable in different temps and exertion levels. Most of the time when hiking I am fine in just the base layer, if I stop ot glass out comes the puffy, if its super cold wear base, puffy, and rain gear.

Maybe I am missing something but I've tried to like soft shell jackets but they simply don't seem to do anything well and ended up just being in my pack taking up space/weight.

To each his own luke, but my guide jacket kept me dry all day hunting in a steady rain in idaho in the timber. If its a downpour I dont think it would handle it, but bushwhacking soaked brush with the kuiu guide jacket made it a breeze with no water coming in. I like the soft shell because I stay warm in mine, and can wear it while hiking. The guide jacket is surprisingly warm for its size. It won't keep you warm like a puffy down jacket but it does the job for me. The system you describe seems like its tailor made for alaska! Rain wear with puffy insulation. It rains all the time up there doesn't it? haha

dotman

WKR

I have to agree, i wear the base, lite shirt and wool vest. If it is really cold i have a wool henley also. I don't even bring a jacket anymore.

a3dhunter

WKR
I would absolutely bring something. (just for the top, I don't worry about the pants they dry pretty quick)
Depending on weather, I have the cabelas ultra space rain gear (10 oz), a bass pro rain jacket (14 oz), or the russel raintamer (42 oz) which really had some weight and insulating value to it. I would be fine with snow in that thing.