Rain Gear Advice

huntkansas

Lil-Rokslider
Recently purchased Sitka Flash pullover for rain/wind protection for mountain hunts. Not sure if it is reliable enough for downpours. Considering sending the sitka pullover back and getting an actual zip off ultralight like first lite's vapor jacket. Any experience or recommendations is appreciated. Not very brand loyal so all options are welcome. This is primarily for high altitude archery deer/elk. Looking for dual rain and wind protection.

Last edited:

ewade07

WKR
I have the Sitka Cloudburst jacket and pants and I can say they honestly saved my life. These things are bombproof. They are heavy duty and a little on the heavier side weight wise but in my opinion 100% worth it.

I was looking into grundens stuff. Not the lightest but seems pretty tough.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back in the late 1980’s, I spent 3 months in Grundens on a commercial fishing boat in the Bering Sea, and as far as I’m concerned, you won’t find heavier duty, more waterproof rain gear than that. Flash forward 30 years later, and I am still using that exact set of rain gear.That said, I would never take it on a backpack hunting trip.
afcd1fe190689d79dc1a45acd25e89a4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmeyer214

FNG
Back in the late 1980’s, I spent 3 months in Grundens on a commercial fishing boat in the Bering Sea, and as far as I’m concerned, you won’t find heavier duty, more waterproof rain gear than that. Flash forward 30 years later, and I am still using that exact set of rain gear.That said, I would never take it on a backpack hunting trip.
afcd1fe190689d79dc1a45acd25e89a4.jpg

Due to weight and breathability? I was thinking that way also due to price...going on first backcountry hunt and coming from Nebraska didn't have a lot of the stuff needed. What would you go with?

Kuiu chugach for backpack hunts.

Sitka Cloudburst for truck hunts/spring steelhead.

Grundens for fishing/crabbing boats.

The Kuiu holds up well and dries well. Especially good for short duration afternoon storms.

After a full day rainforest monsoon the cloudburst never really does fully dry out but will keep you warm and (almost) dry during subsequent full days of monsoon with decent mid layers.

Grundens may be the best outdoor gear I’ve ever purchased. My set is 30 years old. Once a decade they’ll get so nasty and stinky I’ll take them to the laundromat where they come out looking and working as if brand new. Wonderful product that no backcountry hunter needs or wants unless they plan to lose every ounce of water weight and die.

Due to weight and breathability? I was thinking that way also due to price...going on first backcountry hunt and coming from Nebraska didn't have a lot of the stuff needed. What would you go with?

Kuiu Chugach or Yukon depending on the amount of bush whacking you’ll be doing. More than likely the Chugach will be plenty durable enough.

Recently purchased Sitka Flash pullover for rain/wind protection for mountain hunts. Not sure if it is reliable enough for downpours. Considering sending the sitka pullover back and getting an actual zip off ultralight like first lite's vapor jacket. Any experience or recommendations is appreciated. Not very brand loyal so all options are welcome.

Bow or rifle hunting? Some of the Sitka Gear (as well as other mfrs) rain gear is loud. Not an issued if you are in a loud storm but problematic when trying to get very close to game (like traditional archery). I own Sitka's Dewpoint & Thunderhead sets. The Thunderhead is quiet and heavy, designed for the nastiest wet places. The Dewpoint is an UL shell ideal for packing...I use it during monsoon season in places like AZ where the rains come & go. I won't wear it for trad hunts though, too noisy to move in. The Thunderhead is my choice if I'm gonna see cold rain all day. The brushed exterior is silent.

The shell of the Dewpoint and other (heavier) Gortex shells do make noise. Here's proof.

Last edited:
OP
huntkansas

huntkansas

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input everyone! Ended up seeing the FL Vapor ASAT on sale for $109 on Sierra Trading so I grabbed one and will try it out. Kuiu has always done me right in the past but this deal was hard to pass. The Sitka Flash pullover is short and tight in the waist or I may have given it more of a chance.

OP
huntkansas

huntkansas

Lil-Rokslider
Bow or rifle hunting? Some of the Sitka Gear (as well as other mfrs) rain gear is loud. Not an issued if you are in a loud storm but problematic when trying to get very close to game (like traditional archery). I own Sitka's Dewpoint & Thunderhead sets. The Thunderhead is quiet and heavy, designed for the nastiest wet places. The Dewpoint is an UL shell ideal for packing...I use it during monsoon season in places like AZ where the rains come & go. I won't wear it for trad hunts though, too noisy to move in. The Thunderhead is my choice if I'm gonna see cold rain all day. The brushed exterior is silent.

The shell of the Dewpoint and other (heavier) Gortex shells do make noise. Here's proof.

Thanks for the input! It's more for early season archery back country hunts.. use it to layered over a puffy for wind protection, but also wanted something I trusted if it was rainy or wet.

Thanks for the input! It's more for early season archery back country hunts.. use it to layered over a puffy for wind protection, but also wanted something I trusted if it was rainy or wet.
I have the same jacket for security on early season hunts with not a lot of rain expected. Awesome for packing, pretty good for keeping you dry, not good at cutting wind. Wind will slice right through it, Kuiu’s peloton stuff will cut wind better. Still a good ultralight option, just thought I’d let you know.

CCooper

WKR
I have both the rain sets from F/L. That being said, don’t waste your money on the light duty stuff. In a downpour it soaks through quick. The heavier duty jacket does better, but eventually shits the bed. The only real rain gear is PVC coated (Grundens) but you will sweat to death and be wet anyway. I live in western Oregon, and have fished, hunted, and worked outside in rain the majority of my adult life. The F/L heavier weight is about the best gore Tex I have found thus far. My .02 for what it’s worth

OP
huntkansas

huntkansas

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same jacket for security on early season hunts with not a lot of rain expected. Awesome for packing, pretty good for keeping you dry, not good at cutting wind. Wind will slice right through it, Kuiu’s peloton stuff will cut wind better. Still a good ultralight option, just thought I’d let you know.
Thanks, that's helpful to know!