Camo or non camo rain gear

• Camo

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • non camo

Votes: 25 83.3%
  • camo top with non camo bottoms

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters
Im wanting to add a set of rain gear for Alaska and be multipurpose too. I have a HH guide jacket now. But want someoning more for the active hunting and outdoor activities.

I ski, hunt, hike, and fish. Would be nice to use more than hunting. I have a fall hunt in Alaska for caribou and need to get my moose hunt on the books.

But, Im fighting the idea that a camo jacket will help break up my outline for up close.

Looking at Kuiu, First lite, Sitka, Stone Glacier, and Arcteryx.

Thoughts

Hoodie

WKR
I don´t think it matters.

If you´re rifle hunting it matters even less. There´s no sense in buying two sets of rain gear, two puffies, etc. for the sake of having a camo option.

I think a guy wearing different solid colors that match the local vegetation and/or plaid is every bit as difficult to see as a guy wearing most commercial camo. Especially if he´s sitting still.

Solids for me.
When turkey hunting I pull a leafy suit over my rain gear.
I got good rain gear from kuiu and sitka gear in earthy tone solids. I figured I'd rather have good quality rain gear than good camo rain gear.

OP
Corey Paulsen (teamkabob)
I don´t think it matters.

If you´re rifle hunting it matters even less. There´s no sense in buying two sets of rain gear, two puffies, etc. for the sake of having a camo option.

I think a guy wearing different solid colors that match the local vegetation and/or plaid is every bit as difficult to see as a guy wearing most commercial camo. Especially if he´s sitting still.
I agree that why my puffy is a artereyx atom ar, base is solid Conifer kiln hoody, and kiln Conifer pants. When bow hunting my outer layer is camo. But that being said my brown bibs have done fine when is cold whitetail hunting.
Solids for me.
When turkey hunting I pull a leafy suit over my rain gear.
I got good rain gear from kuiu and sitka gear in earthy tone solids. I figured I'd rather have good quality rain gear than good camo rain gear.
I like the leaf idea for the few time you need to get close and Toss over the solids like Turkey

dapesche

WKR
I decided on camo. I wanted a stand alone rain jacket and pant for hunting only and if I'm hunting it might as well be camo.

I was looking at arcteryx zeta sl because I also like the idea flof solids.

Figured that I'll get a long long time from a pair of camo rain gear vs solids. I know if they were solid I'd use them for hiking, biking, bush whackimg, playing outside with family and I'd wear them out very quickly.

That was my thought process and why I went with a nice pair of camo gear.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Werty

WKR
In Alaska, I will not take gore tex or like products. They eventually leak. After living there, it just rains to dam much. When I go back, I take my HH solid rain gear. My 2 cents!

OP
I decided on camo. I wanted a stand alone rain jacket and pant for hunting only and if I'm hunting it might as well be camo.

I was looking at arcteryx zeta sl because I also like the idea flof solids.

Figured that I'll get a long long time from a pair of camo rain gear vs solids. I know if they were solid I'd use them for hiking, biking, bush whackimg, playing outside with family and I'd wear them out very quickly.

That was my thought process and why I went with a nice pair of camo gear.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Which ones did you decide on? I agree and solid pair will see everything.

OP
In Alaska, I will not take gore tex or like products. They eventually leak. After living there, it just rains to dam much. When I go back, I take my HH solid rain gear. My 2 cents!
I have a HH guide jacket that I’m still taking. Probably will drop my soft shell jacket for a rain jacket and pants.

I have a HH guide jacket that I’m still taking. Probably will drop my soft shell jacket for a rain jacket and pants.

What is HH? I'm sure it's a brand name, but I'm not familiar with it. What is the exterior material?? How noisy would it be for bow hunting?

OP
What is HH? I'm sure it's a brand name, but I'm not familiar with it. What is the exterior material?? How noisy would it be for bow hunting?

Sorry, Yes Helly Henson makes sailing and commercial fishing gear. The material is a poly fabric that can stretch and is abrasion resistant to cuts. Since the fabric is poly nothing gets in and also nothing gets out. I’ve had great luck with it as a rain jacket in lower activities in Alaska such as fishing, hunting, and rafting in down hard rains.

I personally don’t thinking its any worse than any rain jacket when bow hunting. It’s heavier so you might have less rain voice hitting it. I’ve never really noticed the swoosh sound when wet.

The cost of the guide jacket is nice at $95. You can find it on sale for less too.

Rock-o

WKR
I voted non-camo. But I'm a non-camo kind of person - with everything, not just rain gear.

Also, what's the deal with people talking about solid bottoms and camo tops??? I don't know that I see people talk about camo bottoms and solid tops.

OP
I voted non-camo. But I'm a non-camo kind of person - with everything, not just rain gear.

Also, what's the deal with people talking about solid bottoms and camo tops??? I don't know that I see people talk about camo bottoms and solid tops.
I ordered the Fusion seak Jacket and dry earth seak pants

DEB79D59-29CA-483A-A263-343BF70BB2FF.pngA5ADAFB2-E4CB-4EA7-9E34-17B2D9809A1D.png

I thought hard about the Arcteryx Alpha AR jacket and Beta AR pants with gore-Tex pro. That is why my solid question came up.

OP
Both quality items.

Why camo top and solid bottom? Why not camo bottom and solid top? Or camo both? Or solid both?
Exactly, just me that can’t go full solids yet for a jacket. I’ve taken archery Kansas deer with carhartt bibs on. But it I soak those in Alaska I can’t toss them back in the dryer. Most are voting non camo. Really all my camo is jackets and a few pair of pants that won’t die.

dapesche

WKR
Which ones did you decide on? I agree and solid pair will see everything.
I won a sitka dewpoint set. Extremely lucky. Had the pick of whatever I wanted and went subalpine.

I had been looking for rain gear for a while so I'm pretty fortuante. My plan was either Sitka or the Kuiu Chugach as I like a little stretch to my gear.

In the solids, I was waiting for OR Foray to go on sale but the fit is just too strange.