Rain Gear for Adak

OP
B

blazingangel09

Lil-Rokslider
Would it be worth packing in a set of the Wiggy's waders or should I just stick with rain pants+gaiters+duck tape?

Viper*6

FNG
Hunted Adak Caribou in the fall of '76. Adak does live up to the "Birthplace of the Wind" reputation. When the wind blows hard sideways so does the rain. Lots of rain. Bring rain gear that "breathes". The key is staying warm when wet underneath. No trees on Adak where we hunted. Best to have a tarp for down pours while out hunting.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Don’t buy the stone glacier twin gear, I have it and I’m not impressed. It just seems to wet out which is normal I guess but what I don’t like is the pockets get wet. Any ammo or anything I have in the pockets gets wet. Worse, when the shit is really going sideways, you don’t even have a dry place to let your hands recover for a minute or two.

I had the kuiu Yukon and had no complaints but I was dazzled by the bullshit of a new rain gear system so I sold the Yukon set and got the SG.

I like sg packs and if their clothing works for you, great but but I’m not all that happy with my m5 stuff. I’d like to get another yukon set again, maybe the kutana.

As for no breathable rain gear, I like the grundens jacket and I often take one along but for rowing and moving a lot I still prefer breathable. Maybe I’m expecting too much from breathable rain gear but I don’t remember the pockets of my Yukon stuff ever wetting through.

URE_G

FNG
Kuiu makes some of the best breathable rain gear. I have been using the Kuiu Yukon gear for a while and they have worked amazing

HoneyDew

WKR
While it’s not AK I do live and hunt in the only rainforest in the lower 48 (west WA). I’ve been using the SEAK set for 4 years now and it’s worked well for me. You can usually find FL stuff on sale 20-30% at various times throughout the year. My only disclaimer is I don’t know if FL has changed the design or material since I bought mine.

OP
B

blazingangel09

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the replies!
I ended up buying a KUIU Yukon jacket from a fellow Rokslider and some Black Ovis Hailstone pants on sale. I'll report back with how well they hold up.

Bump79

WKR
I used the FL seak jacket and Kuiu Yukon pants on my AK hunts. Both worked well.

Be sure to get pants that fit like pants, some I’ve used in the past are oversized to much. Its no fun hiking in rain pants cut so the crotch hangs to your knees.

I don’t even take softshell pants to AK for the hunts I do, just a couple pairs of rain pants. Next trip it will be Yukons and Kutanas. My caribou hunt I took the Yukons and Chugach. I got the Chugach a size larger and mostly wore them around camp over my puffy pants while giving the Yukons a chance to dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How would you compare the material on the Seak, Yukon vs Chugach? Stretch, breathability and quietness is most important to me as I'm not hunting Alaska.

mcseal2

WKR
Chugach has way more stretch and is probably slightly quieter. None are really quiet like a softer face, but that makes them more effective as rain gear. My opinion they are plenty quiet for rifle hunting. I don’t bowhunt anymore so I will not say on that.

OP
B

blazingangel09

Lil-Rokslider
I just got back from my hunt so I thought I would give a follow-up on the gear we brought.

I used the Pnuma 3L Element Proof Rain Jacket and Black Ovis Hailstone Rain Pants.
My wife used the Kuiu Yukon Rain Jacket and Prois Dionla Rain Pants.

Overall, we were both very impressed with the performance of all of the pieces. We had unusually good weather for Adak but still saw lots of wind, rain and general wet conditions. We never had an issue with any of the clothing leaking or wetting out while we were in the field. The wind definitely helped to dry any surface moisture but the rain layers served as pretty effective wind blockers as well.

My only complaint was that the Black Ovis pants did not have any built in pockets. I knew this when I purchased them but thought I would wear other pants under them and utilize those pockets. As it turned out, I was in base layers and the rain pants for 100% of the trip and really missed having dedicated pants pockets. That is more a knock on my strategic decision rather than a failure of the design but go into it with eyes wide open.

buzzy

WKR
I just got back from my hunt so I thought I would give a follow-up on the gear we brought.

I used the Pnuma 3L Element Proof Rain Jacket and Black Ovis Hailstone Rain Pants.
My wife used the Kuiu Yukon Rain Jacket and Prois Dionla Rain Pants.

Overall, we were both very impressed with the performance of all of the pieces. We had unusually good weather for Adak but still saw lots of wind, rain and general wet conditions. We never had an issue with any of the clothing leaking or wetting out while we were in the field. The wind definitely helped to dry any surface moisture but the rain layers served as pretty effective wind blockers as well.

My only complaint was that the Black Ovis pants did not have any built in pockets. I knew this when I purchased them but thought I would wear other pants under them and utilize those pockets. As it turned out, I was in base layers and the rain pants for 100% of the trip and really missed having dedicated pants pockets. That is more a knock on my strategic decision rather than a failure of the design but go into it with eyes wide open.
How did the hunt go? Would love to hear the story and see some pictures of the terrible you got.

ppumil

FNG
Kuiu Yukon failed on Moose hunt last year Togiak Alaska. Hunting Partner had SEEK and that held up great with no issues. Might be a little heavy compared to those others but a solid layer that holds up. We had 30-40 MPH winds which I think you will be likely to encounter.
Sounds like a blast