Rain gear for Alaska moose?

I’m planning a Alaskan moose hunt and I’m in the market for rain gear, normally I wear firstlite stuff...was looking for input if anyone has used the seak system up there or should I be looking elsewhere for Alaska worthy rain gear?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m usually in waders so those are my rain pants too. I used the stone glacier rain jacket and a grinders jacket the past few years.

Homer

FNG
Grundens Neptune’s or Helly Hansen imperetechs. Reasonably priced and completely waterproof. I’ve used Kuiu Yukon rain gear and it’s pretty decent stuff but the rubberized rain gear is about 1/4 the cost and will out perform breathable rain gear in super wet conditions.

If you're not backpacking, and depending on the terrain you'll be in, I'd also recommend something along the lines of HH Impertech. Its not super heavy (nor is it super light - hence maybe not first choice for backcountry backpack hunt), but tough, 100% waterproof, and economical. It won't breath, but it also won't wet out after several days of rain or slogging through wet 4ft grass or alders. It also won't break the bank when you tear the pants all to hell and have to patch them with duct tape.

I've got good breathable gear I also use for some hunts, but I always have some impertech in the gear room.

Scott/IL

Lil-Rokslider
I’d say it’s dependent on the area you’ll be in, but I lived in chest waders and a HH jacket for 2 weeks last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abbrown

Lil-Rokslider
Stoney Creek (New Zealand brand) Glaisnock jacket - geared to handle Fiordland, wettest place ever.

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
I have used many products and still feel 3-layer gore tex remains the best waterproof fabric you can buy.

Wingert

FNG
If you'll be hunting in a location where waders aren't needed......I use a First Lite Seak Stormtight rain jacket and Helly Hansen Impertech rain pants (with suspenders). The rain pants are able to take a beating in the brush and the First Lite jacket is more comfortable.

Aginor

Lil-Rokslider
I use the First Lite Seak system and live/hunt the Olympic Peninsula. If you’re going to be out day after day in extensive rain, it’s not the answer. I prefer it to GoreTex because it dries so quickly, but it certainly will wet out in extended rain

I use the First Lite Seak system and live/hunt the Olympic Peninsula. If you’re going to be out day after day in extensive rain, it’s not the answer. I prefer it to GoreTex because it dries so quickly, but it certainly will wet out in extended rain
You prefer seak system to goretex, but seak is still not the answer because it eventually wets out? Am i reading that right?

Aginor

Lil-Rokslider
You prefer seak system to goretex, but seak is still not the answer because it eventually wets out? Am i reading that right?

Yep. GoreTex always wears out as well and in my experience more quickly. The First Lite stuff also doesn’t require DWR to be reapplied either. If I lived anywhere else, I would probably be satisfied with the Seak system, but if you’re in a situation like our modern elk season last year where it legitimately poured 8/10 hunting hours every day and just rained the other two hours for ten days straight, it’s not going to work. Fortunately I could get it dried out in the tent every night though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
If you live in a predominantly dry environment, but need a rain set-up just for the moose hunt...then go with the HH Impertech. It is a price performer, will keep you dry from the outside, but you will get some moisture build-up from the inside, especially if you're doing any exertion while wearing it.

That said, my HH has been hanging in the closet ever since I bought my KUIU Yukon set when it first came out 5 or 6 years ago. I pretty much live in it in the field every year...it is patched-up and still going strong. It is the best rain gear that I have ever owned...period. Not the best option if mostly riding in your back-pack because it is comparatively heavier than other short-use options...but if wearing it day after day, it's my choice...vents well, dries well, and keeps me dry.

Last edited:

Aginor

Lil-Rokslider
If you live in a predominantly dry environment, but need a rain set-up just for the moose hunt...then go with the HH Impertech. It is a price performer, will keep you dry from the outside, but you will get some moisture build-up from the inside, especially if you're doing any exertion while wearing it.

That said, my HH has been hanging in the closet ever since I bought my KUIU Yukon set when it first came out 5 or 6 years ago. I pretty much live in it in the field every year...it is patched-up and still going strong. It is the best rain gear that I have ever owned...period. Not the best option if mostly riding in your back-pack because it is comparatively heavier than other short-use options...but if wearing it day after day, it's my choice...vents well, dries well, and keeps me dry.

I’ll have to look into the Kuiu kit. Thanks for the tip

mcseal2

WKR
I used Simms G3 waders and a Seak jacket most of my hunt.

I had a Sitka cloudburst jacket and Kuiu yukon pants along too. As soon as I got to camp at the end of the day the waders and Seak got flipped inside out and put in the tipi to dry any moisture inside. I put on the other raingear to wear around camp over my puffy layers. Worked well for me.

I used Simms G3 waders and a Seak jacket most of my hunt.

I had a Sitka cloudburst jacket and Kuiu yukon pants along too. As soon as I got to camp at the end of the day the waders and Seak got flipped inside out and put in the tipi to dry any moisture inside. I put on the other raingear to wear around camp over my puffy layers. Worked well for me.
I’m confident that we will mess up the clothing aspect. I’m cool with rest of it.

mcseal2

WKR
Going to a new environment, getting dropped by a transporter is an experience. You never know what you will encounter.

I’ll take 2 rain layers to AK top and bottom if weight limits allow. I don’t take any other outer jacket or pant, just the rain gear. The HH stuff I sweat to much in to like personally. I use it for work at home some and its easy for me to overheat.

I took a Mytrailco poncho tarp last trip that weighed 6oz instead of extra rain gear. I figured in a terrible sideways rain it could protect my breathable studf for a while. Made a good windbreak while glassing one day. Never used it as a poncho.

Attachments

• EBBF496E-D9CA-4441-9A25-541BE3403B37.jpeg
    EBBF496E-D9CA-4441-9A25-541BE3403B37.jpeg
    439.8 KB · Views: 41
Going to a new environment, getting dropped by a transporter is an experience. You never know what you will encounter.

I’ll take 2 rain layers to AK top and bottom if weight limits allow. I don’t take any other outer jacket or pant, just the rain gear. The HH stuff I sweat to much in to like personally. I use it for work at home some and its easy for me to overheat.

I took a Mytrailco poncho tarp last trip that weighed 6oz instead of extra rain gear. I figured in a terrible sideways rain it could protect my breathable studf for a while. Made a good windbreak while glassing one day. Never used it as a poncho.
Wow. Cool product. Will look into that