Rain gear for early season CO

FlyTheW

FNG
Going on my first Sept elk hunt this fall in CO and looking at rain gear. I have Kryptek for for my other pieces so I was leaning that direction but would be open to other options. We will be day hunting / staying in a cabin. One member of our group uses/recommends Cabela's MTO50 and uses it as his only jacket which got me thinking about which way I'd want to go for a day pack:

1) Lightweight rain jacket (Poseidon) with soft-shell (Dalibor, already have)

2) Heavier rain gear as only jacket (Koldo)

I'm open to other brands as well but don't really want to spend much more than I can get the Koldo for (<$200)

Heavy rain gear that time of year is a no go for me. Soft shell will breath 10x better on cool morning and evening hikes. It’ll probably only rain 45 total minutes on your hunt anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CJF

WKR
I generally don’t carry rain gear...I’ll sit it out under a tree (which can stay totally dry even in a downpour), throw up a tarp if I need to, or just get wet and dry out. All depends on time of day, where I’m at/what I’m doing.

I also agree with above that a heavier rain jacket would be a definite no go that time of year

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I rarely ever use rain gear in CO in September. Maybe a jacket......if it's already raining when I head out. Otherwise, I can dry my clothes when I get back to camp......or in your case "cabin".

Gapmaster

WKR
Normally don’t carry any unless I’m packing in. And then I opt for the Camo Frogg Toggs. They are light, fairly cheap, breathable, and if I rip a hole in them I’m only out a little $.
Made a lot of hunts in CO during September and don’t remember really needing rain gear but a few times.

crich

WKR
I agree with above that you probably wont use it. A well reviewed dwr jacket could be more of a dual purpose piece in your kit.

That said I dont go back in more than 2 days without a FL Vapor Stormlight jacket. Light and packable but holds up really well in a downpour. I like to move in the rain unless its really bad. Its small and light enough I'd rather have it and not use it than need it and be screwed. Much like a down puffy in the late season; it's just incase.

The Stormlight is out of your listed price range but check the classifieds often youll find a good jacket at a good price.

tdhanses

WKR
Rain gear isn’t really needed, I hunted CO many years without it but do have it now. Don’t get any of the heavy stuff, keep it light because chances are you’ll not use it.

KyleR1985

WKR
Another vote for a DWR dual purpose jacket. At most, an ultralight thin rain jacket that stuffs in a pocket.

I carried my suit one day last year, shed the pants the next day, and shed the whole thing by day three. It rained on me for at least 30-45 minutes each day. I didn’t notice any change in my comfort without rain gear. Except a pep in my step for losing a couplepounds of unnecessary gear. Obviously if you’re staying above the tree line The whole time for some reason, or have forecast of 20 degree weather rolling in, your tactics might change.

Backyard

WKR
Light packable SKRE jacket and gaiters is all I’ve ever needed. I always have my tarp for heavy downpours if it even happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk