Rain gear for early September montana elk

WMag338

WKR
Kuiu Chugach is super light, stretchy, and breathes well. Might be a little thin for the late season, but for top notch packable rain gear, I'd highly recommend it.

S.Clancy

WKR
Dude, I would just get the best rain gear you can. 2 years ago we got over 10" of rain in September, I was wearing "light" rain gear that is normally fine and ending up near hypothermic and had to hang out under a tree with a raging fire for 6 hours. My bro does Sitka Cloudburst, I have Mammut. Just get the best you can

j33

WKR
I went through the same thing as you last year, bought some cheap rain gear and never even used it, will keep packing those on select hunts... This year I'm going sheep hunting, so needed to up my rain gear since mine kinda sucks for hiking in and I can't rely on it for a week out. If you have no intentions on doing any hunting other than Elk in Montana I wouldn't go too fancy on rain pants, jacket though.

This year I went with a Patagonia Torrentshell 3L jacket, hiked with it in two downpours and was awesome. Comparable to the Sitka Dewpoint, Patagonia's own spin on Goretex at 1/3 the price. Ended up with Kuiu Chugach pants, surprisingly quiet and the side zips & stretch is unbelievable, should have bought expensive rain pants a long time ago. I hate noisy pants like my Marmot Precips or even the Patagonia jacket is noiser than Chugach so I wouldn't buy Patagonia pants.

take5

FNG
I went through the same thing as you last year, bought some cheap rain gear and never even used it, will keep packing those on select hunts... This year I'm going sheep hunting, so needed to up my rain gear since mine kinda sucks for hiking in and I can't rely on it for a week out. If you have no intentions on doing any hunting other than Elk in Montana I wouldn't go too fancy on rain pants, jacket though.

This year I went with a Patagonia Torrentshell 3L jacket, hiked with it in two downpours and was awesome. Comparable to the Sitka Dewpoint, Patagonia's own spin on Goretex at 1/3 the price. Ended up with Kuiu Chugach pants, surprisingly quiet and the side zips & stretch is unbelievable, should have bought expensive rain pants a long time ago. I hate noisy pants like my Marmot Precips or even the Patagonia jacket is noiser than Chugach so I wouldn't buy Patagonia pants.
I just received my Patagonia Torrentshell 3L today and I was surprised at how noisy it is. Does that go away at all or do I need to look elsewhere for a rain jacket for hunting in the whitetail woods?
Ideally I’d like a jacket for whitetail and open country so any advice is appreciated.

j33

WKR
I just received my Patagonia Torrentshell 3L today and I was surprised at how noisy it is. Does that go away at all or do I need to look elsewhere for a rain jacket for hunting in the whitetail woods?
Ideally I’d like a jacket for whitetail and open country so any advice is appreciated.

I wouldn’t keep it if you want to hunt white tail in your rain jacket. I have Chugach pants and those are noticeably quieter, wouldn’t wear Patagonia pants that’s for sure. I’d start a thread to ask folks who have more experience than me for that.

It’s quieter than some other jackets I have but def not stalk quietly to short range when it ain’t raining quiet.

I found a set of new browning speed rain slayer (or whatever they are called), on sale at Sierra and have used them multiple times. They’re not loud, have thigh and pit zips, all taped zippers, etc. I am still surprised how durable and water proof they are. I put them on when I got them and tested them in the shower. They did not leak at all. I’ve worn them in ID, MT, WY elk hunting and fishing.