Rain Gear for Late September Brooks Hunt

I'm trying to get gear dialed in for a 2021 hunt on the south slope of the Brooks. Transporter suggested the last week of September as they start to winter up in that area. Now, I know I could drop $1200 on Kuiu/Sitka but after listening to Tyler Freel's Sitka ordeal while sheep hunting, I'm wondering if it's even worth it. Another thread I saw for a New Foundland had several suggestions for HH Impertech II. It's very price-friendly but not sure if it's what I should be looking at. Can anybody give me suggestions on other options?

oenanthe

WKR
Late September in the Brooks? You are likely to have a lot of wet snow rather than rain. I'd go with breathable raingear rather than Impertech, and I'd think about a hot tent.

mcseal2

WKR
I have not been in that area or yet hunted caribou so take my advice for what it's worth

I will have the weight allowance to bring both on my drop camp hunt so I plan to. I am going to take my 3/4 length HH Impertech jacket and my First Lite SEAK jacket. Rain jackets and rain pants or waders are things I figure will ruin my hunt fastest if they fail and get the layers under them wet so I'll pack spares if possible.

Having both lets me wear the HH if it's a really wet day or around camp and gives the breathable jacket more time to dry and less chance to wet out. I'm not sure if that's the right way to do it, but it's my plan.

The SEAK worked great on my moose hunt last year and we had a lot of rain. That trip I had a Sitka Cloudburst jacket along that I used around camp like I described to give the SEAK more time draped over my cot in the tent to have a chance to dry. I figured after if I'm taking 2 rain jackets one just as well be the HH for an extra 5oz over the Sitka so that's my plan for future AK hunts.

Also if I end up wearing my Simms G3 boots and Chota tundra hippies a lot instead of gaiters and hiking boots the 3/4 length jacket will be very nice to have.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
I just got back from the Brooks range the last week of Sept. I took my lightweight kryptek raingear, a set of Helly Hansen and also bought SItka Coldfront gear tops and bottoms. It rained, snowed and sleeted for most of the hunt and I wore the Sitka Coldfront gear exclusively. I have no doubts that the HH would have been fine, but the Sitka was really comfortable, warm and I never felt hot. Even if it is not raining, all of the brush will be wet from frost or previous rain, so expect to be in a wet environment all the time.

AKHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
Think snow, wet, cold, and wind in the end of September. Maybe dry snow. The most bombproof and comfortable and rain coat that I have ever used is a Simms guide jacket. Not exactly sure of the model, but it is 3 layer gore-tex and it kicks ass. You might check it out. Hunting clothing does not need to be camo color ;)

MNGaryB

FNG
I'm trying to get gear dialed in for a 2021 hunt on the south slope of the Brooks. Transporter suggested the last week of September as they start to winter up in that area. Now, I know I could drop $1200 on Kuiu/Sitka but after listening to Tyler Freel's Sitka ordeal while sheep hunting, I'm wondering if it's even worth it. Another thread I saw for a New Foundland had several suggestions for HH Impertech II. It's very price-friendly but not sure if it's what I should be looking at. Can anybody give me suggestions on other options?
I guess it all depends how far you have to walk....the impertech will make most people sweat with moderate movement. I think bringing two rain jackets would be best. Something more breathable while walking will be key

Think snow, wet, cold, and wind in the end of September. Maybe dry snow. The most bombproof and comfortable and rain coat that I have ever used is a Simms guide jacket. Not exactly sure of the model, but it is 3 layer gore-tex and it kicks ass. You might check it out. Hunting clothing does not need to be camo color ;)
Thread on this forum regarding; single best piece of equipment. Or similar title. My Simms guide jacket.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
base layer wool
middle layer wool
outer layer whatever solid rain gear you'd use in your home backcountry

wool gloves 2 pair (mitten style and dont go cheap)
wool socks

late september Brooks will bite you in the arse from all angles. everything you own will or can be wet, so wool is your best friend regardless of the temps when you leave Fairbanks.

OXN939

WKR
base layer wool
middle layer wool
outer layer whatever solid rain gear you'd use in your home backcountry

wool gloves 2 pair (mitten style and dont go cheap)
wool socks

late september Brooks will bite you in the arse from all angles. everything you own will or can be wet, so wool is your best friend regardless of the temps when you leave Fairbanks.

Take this as gospel. Coming from someone with an extensive background in maritime environments, a Brooks Range Caribou hunt will likely give you a new definition of "wet." Wool and quick dry synthetics are a necessity. Quality rain gear is probably the most important item you'll take into the field other than maybe a robust tent. Sitka Coldfront may not be cheap, but a $4000 custom rifle will shoot like a $400 Walmart special if you're cold and shivering.