Rain Gear for Newfoundland

Opening rifle week, mid September, what kind of rain gear do I need? I have never been there, and have no idea of the terrain, or weather patterns, etc. Not even sure if I need my heavy winter camo for sub freezing temperatures..

Speedbump

FNG
Chance of warm weather is far higher than cold weather. Last fall, the September season did get a few days with frost at night, which improves the hunting as bullwinkle doesn't move much in warm weather.
Rain gear should be good stuff as it can rain hard and rain sideways. Its more important that your rain gear be quiet and actually waterproof than anything else. Camo is NOT necessary.
I got my bull on one of these rainy days during the second week of the season. My rain parka had Florida Keys blue, the guide was wearing dark blue work gear. We walked/stalked from about 250 yard up to about 65 yards, all in front of the bull, before shooting. The wind was in our favor, blowing hard, making it rain sideways, as I mentioned.
Be aware that there is no hunting on Sunday until October.
Good hunting!

adamkolesar

Lil-Rokslider
I second speed bump. No self respecting Newfie guide would be caught dead in camo. Breathable is nice, but secondary to waterproofness. Boots are really important too. Muck, Lacrosse and the like. They should be 18" minimum. While you can't break them in, fit with socks you intend to wear is a detail you'll want to pay attention to.

Think along the lines of what the deckhands where when fishing for crab out in the Bearing Sea. That should get you in the wheelhouse for staying dry. I had myself a fancy pair of designer camo. I was soaked in less than an hour. Get the good stuff that they use out on the ocean and make sure you have enough material to keep that gun dry and oiled too!

Trial153

WKR
I am bringing a set of Sitka cloudburst pants and jacket for Newfoundland this year. I will hunting the last couple days of sept and the first week of October. Last trip I had set of light weight Filson rain pants and dewpoint jacket, both worked just fine. Pants in Newfoundland will take beating from the tuckamore. Lots of guides wear HH bibs all the time, works for them wouldn’t work for me.

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
Good rubber boots and a set of light weight rain gear from Cabelas got me through everything when I hunted there. I usually started with a light weight fleece in the morning when we were getting to glassing spots, and then layered up depending on weather/wind. I always kept my rain gear in the top pouch of my pack to get to easily if rain moved in.

I'll be using this same set up when I head back this October.

Trial153

WKR
How about Sitka Downpour gear? Ok or overkill?

Thx,
John

It will work fine, especially if you already have it. most NL hunts you have th chance to dry stuff out at night so a brushed face goretex will not be an issue over the duration of the hunt

Last edited:

john2

FNG
I have the jacket, still need to pick up a pair of pants, thanks for reply!
John

tntrker

WKR
I'm going 1st week in Oct of 2021. Hoping the tuckamore doesn't fillet my Cloudburst pant, CB jacket should be fine, but hoping those high $ pants can take the beating out there.

OP
Short Track
I brought the Sitka stormfront outfit. Very very durable. But Noisy as hell. Are Moose that sensitive to Noise ? You can NOT walk with being heard from 200 yards away.
Not sure if I should return the expensive outfit.

Trial153

WKR
I brought the Sitka stormfront outfit. Very very durable. But Noisy as hell. Are Moose that sensitive to Noise ? You can NOT walk with being heard from 200 yards away.
Not sure if I should return the expensive outfit.

Your rifle hunting I wouldn’t worry about it. Bowhunting it maybe an issue ..maybe. For what it’s worth if your guide is in rain gear it will most likely be in HH or some fishing bibs ...so it’s probably a moot point