Rain gear for September Montana Elk hunt?

UWneptune308

Lil-Rokslider
What’s a decent rain gear for southwest Montana. I’m going for two weeks so I don’t want to cheap out completely but I am on a budget. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard good reports from frogg togg's but I personally run the vapor stormlight from firstlite and they have kept me dry and pack down pretty small

CMF

WKR
I went with the Kuiu northridge jacket and just frog toggs for pants. we'll be in Montana this sep. I really liked the idea of the zip vents on the jacket and there wasn't a big weight difference in pants.

I'm in the same boat as you, I got some BADLANDS BAIL rain gear that I'm going to try out in Montana this Sep seems to be good quality, I think is ran me about 250 for the set on amazon

j33

WKR
Marmot Precip, Patagonia Torrentshell are both low cost good options for Montana.

I have 6oz frog tog jacket, but personally I wouldn't rely on that for more than a short shower. I guess maybe if you're truck hunting it would be okay, but I would spend a little more for a set you could wear around town also.

OP
UWneptune308

UWneptune308

Lil-Rokslider
I live in SW montana and I don't have dedicated rain gear. Wear whatever you have, you'll be fine.

Okay. I have this. But I wasn’t sure if I would need more because I’m living out there for two weeks.
89e5fd223e76e112f945cd10566784d5.jpg

I have used the Nomad Hailstorm jacket and pants last couple years and they have worked well... they are durable and decently priced. September could be anything... last year it was 85 and smokey, year before was upper 20's and snowing/raining... most of my archery in SW/SC Montana is mid 70s in the day and mid 30s at night... with the occasional snow storm lol.

Geewhiz

WKR
Okay. I have this. But I wasn’t sure if I would need more because I’m living out there for two weeks.
89e5fd223e76e112f945cd10566784d5.jpg

Just do me a favor and don't listen to the people who tell you that you cant do what you want to do unless you spend a million dollars on gear first.

Sure its nice to have and it makes you look way cooler when you walk into town with your kuiu jacket on but if you can't afford it its not going to be the end of the world.

I'd rather be the person using crappy gear that's actually out in the hills using it than the guy that's got one of everything but sitting here on RS talking about weight specs of his new cuben fiber sheep tarp or whatever it is. (no offense to that guy, been there)

OP
UWneptune308

UWneptune308

Lil-Rokslider
Just do me a favor and don't listen to the people who tell you that you cant do what you want to do unless you spend a million dollars on gear first.

Sure its nice to have and it makes you look way cooler when you walk into town with your kuiu jacket on but if you can't afford it its not going to be the end of the world.

I'd rather be the person using crappy gear that's actually out in the hills using it than the guy that's got one of everything but sitting here on RS talking about weight specs of his new cuben fiber sheep tarp or whatever it is. (no offense to that guy, been there)

Roger That. This is my first hunting trip. I’m going with a friends dad for two weeks (archery)I’m balls deep already in this. Trust me I’m not gonna be that guy haha.

*zap*

WKR
Cabelas space rain is a good 'stay in the bottom of the day pack' rain set......size up. It also makes a good hard shell top for wind. Marmot precip is also good.

Watch the weather forecast. You’ll most likely be fine without anything. If high pressure is dug in you’ll be wishing for some rain. It’s the freak winter storms that will get you if you aren’t prepared.

With that said are you backpacking or have a home base like 5th wheel, cabin, or solid canvas tent setup?

Going in on horse back with a guide no other hunters in camp supposed to going into silver tip, iv hurd it's been hot lately

Watch the weather forecast. You’ll most likely be fine without anything. If high pressure is dug in you’ll be wishing for some rain. It’s the freak winter storms that will get you if you aren’t prepared.

With that said are you backpacking or have a home base like 5th wheel, cabin, or solid canvas tent setup?
Going in on horse back with a guide no other hunters in camp supposed to be going into silver tip, iv hurd it's been hot lately

I’ve got a set of Kuiu chugach NX I’m selling for cheap in the classifieds

What’s a decent rain gear for southwest Montana. I’m going for two weeks so I don’t want to cheap out completely but I am on a budget. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Marmot precip will get you by just fine.

OP
UWneptune308

UWneptune308

Lil-Rokslider

Canvas tent.