Rain gear for western Washington?

Colt72

FNG
I’m wanting to buy some rain gear this year I’d like to stick with Sitka gear because I have some of there stuff and I love it any advice for rain gear for western Washington black tail hunting

I have had a couple of their sets of rain gear (down pour and stormfront lite) and they were both pretty bad... down pour was impressive for the first 3 days, then it was a downward spiral, haha... seriously, day 4 I was soaked, they got pinholed up quick.

the stormfront lite was just slightly better, but not good. The down pour was given to me by a buddy when I took him elk hunting, I could have sent them in but I knew the same was going to happen again, it just didn’t hold up to coastal brush.

I think Sitka does make some good rain gear, but I’m not spending 1200 bucks on their tougher stuff after my experience.

no matter what, rain gear is sort of a disposable item on the coast, just how it is

first lite makes fairly durable rain gear, but not great, and it’s the most damp high end rain gear I have experience with.

I don’t like much from kuiu, but for the money, their rain gear is great. I got over 2 seasons out of their Yukon and kutana, and a solid 2 seasons out of chugach (have had 2 sets of that)

the Yukon is the best bang for your buck IMO

that being said, I just ordered the kryptek takur and have high hopes for it, reports seem good, we’ll see.

my best advice is you don’t need matching camo, it doesn’t matter even a tiny bit... every thing I have is mismatched because no company makes the best everything for me... being brand loyal doesn’t make sense unless they are giving you free stuff.

if you are hell bent on sticking with Sitka, my advice is spend a lot of money, buy their toughest rain gear, it’s probably great gear, I just can’t stomach spending over a grand for something that won’t last very long... none of it will on the coast, and if it does, you probably won’t want to hunt in it.

I have been really curious about the takur, finally decided to throw practicality out the window, because kuiu Yukon is very solid proven rain gear, and I’m far from a kuiu fan boy... their rain gear is all I have bought from them in several years, I like first lite and Sitka better for the rest of the clothes.

kuiu puts out great rain gear and gaiters, but I would avoid their really light rain gear, it won’t hold up on the coast.

I do recommend gaiters if covering lots of ground in rain gear, you will wear out the lower legs without gaiters.

i think a chugach jacket and Yukon pants is a good all around combo... your pants take the biggest beating and the chugach has held up well for me through the brush... doesn’t get full of pin holes from salmon berry and devil’s club

I have had a couple of their sets of rain gear (down pour and stormfront lite) and they were both pretty bad... down pour was impressive for the first 3 days, then it was a downward spiral, haha... seriously, day 4 I was soaked, they got pinholed up quick.

the stormfront lite was just slightly better, but not good. The down pour was given to me by a buddy when I took him elk hunting, I could have sent them in but I knew the same was going to happen again, it just didn’t hold up to coastal brush.

I think Sitka does make some good rain gear, but I’m not spending 1200 bucks on their tougher stuff after my experience.

no matter what, rain gear is sort of a disposable item on the coast, just how it is

first lite makes fairly durable rain gear, but not great, and it’s the most damp high end rain gear I have experience with.

I don’t like much from kuiu, but for the money, their rain gear is great. I got over 2 seasons out of their Yukon and kutana, and a solid 2 seasons out of chugach (have had 2 sets of that)

the Yukon is the best bang for your buck IMO

that being said, I just ordered the kryptek takur and have high hopes for it, reports seem good, we’ll see.

my best advice is you don’t need matching camo, it doesn’t matter even a tiny bit... every thing I have is mismatched because no company makes the best everything for me... being brand loyal doesn’t make sense unless they are giving you free stuff.

if you are hell bent on sticking with Sitka, my advice is spend a lot of money, buy their toughest rain gear, it’s probably great gear, I just can’t stomach spending over a grand for something that won’t last very long... none of it will on the coast, and if it does, you probably won’t want to hunt in it.

I have been really curious about the takur, finally decided to throw practicality out the window, because kuiu Yukon is very solid proven rain gear, and I’m far from a kuiu fan boy... their rain gear is all I have bought from them in several years, I like first lite and Sitka better for the rest of the clothes.

kuiu puts out great rain gear and gaiters, but I would avoid their really light rain gear, it won’t hold up on the coast.

I do recommend gaiters if covering lots of ground in rain gear, you will wear out the lower legs without gaiters.

i think a chugach jacket and Yukon pants is a good all around combo... your pants take the biggest beating and the chugach has held up well for me through the brush... doesn’t get full of pin holes from salmon berry and devil’s club

I’d also second Kuiu Chugach gear. I live up here in PNW and have used the Chugach gear for about 10 years, and haven’t had any issues. I do carry gear tape just because of how thick it is here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clarktar

WKR
Refresh the jacket and pants each summer/fall. Other than that, be ok with being wet. I like wet.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

aorams

Lil-Rokslider
In the last 10 years I’ve tried Grundens, Helly Hansen, RAB, Sitka, First Lite, OR, Arcteryx and Filson in Washington State. What I’ve learned is that for any overnight trip where being wet and cold could have consequences, Arcteryx is the best gear by miles. The hunting specific products don’t event come close. That coupled with a warm synthetic sleeping bag(Kifaru Slik). For day hunts I’ve been most happy with Filson products. The Mackinaw pants and Jacket or a Tin Cloth Jacket with a liner will keep you dry and warm all day.

Jimss

WKR
Kuiu or Sitka if active or Helly Henson if sitting around. Make sure your jacket has pitzips.

Elkangle

WKR
Alot of these brands use the same fabrics for there rain gear....keep an eye on the fabric uses for a given brand

I like gortex pro

+1 for Kuiu -- I love the Chugach set as well, but I personally have ripped two jackets within a week in the field, so I only use the pants now. Yukon jacket is a tank, going on year 6 myself without refreshing or applying any new DWR and it still doesn't wet out.

If sitting still, hard to beat HH but it gets hot. Grundens if you want to buy local, but I don't find their stuff nearly as durable.

If you don't mind being wet and miserable, or heavy as hell when soaked, then wool will keep you alive at least. Old school style, don't think many/any of us would really recommend it but it's always an option. WeatherWool or Micklagaard are good brands.

MR5X5

FNG
Axle grease - Will keep you dry and warm... and works for cooking!

Long Island off the coast in December, oh joy....

CCooper

WKR
Get used to being damp unless you can hunt in orange PVC rain gear. I've even tried the high end first lite storm-tight pants and jacket- 1/2 day steelhead fishing and I was wet. rain gear sucks period- if it keeps you dry in the weather we get you will sweat to death until your wet anyway. Love gaiters though.

Sitka cloudburst is the best I’ve found. But after a few days you’ll be wet regardless. Don’t forget the water proof socks. Life changing when you live in a rain forest.

HoneyDew

WKR
I live and hunt west WA. First lite SEAK has held up for the three years I’ve been using it.

Liljozie495

Lil-Rokslider
Been beating the piss out of my KUIU Yukon rain gear for a good 5-6 years now from October thru may every weekend in the thick stuff for hunting and shed hunting... hasn’t failed me yet (and I go in some nasty thick stuff and walk thru the soaking wet Christmas trees ALOT) it’s good solid stuff that you won’t regret buying

NorseNW

FNG
I'm with Liljozie495. Hunt western WA and been running Kuiu for last 3 years. Has worked much better than other brands I have tried.

Lwing

FNG
Hunt, Vancouver Island Canada, my greatest vice is rainwear, tried just about everything for work and hunting,
depending on budget, nothing will beat Arcteryx leaf alpha for breathable rain gear, sold all my high end hunting brands.
If on a budget and not climbing mountains, sitting, mild walking can’t beat Helly Hanson lightweight impertec. If the put pit zips And side vents, that stuff would be even more usefull

406life

Lil-Rokslider
I'm late to the Convo, but I spent a week in Centralia, rained all but 4 hours. I had my Sitka Cloudburst jacket and pants, added in gaiters. Zero complaints. Three years later, still using the gear with no issues.

I would tell you to think about upsizing so you can layer under.

I'm with Liljozie495. Hunt western WA and been running Kuiu for last 3 years. Has worked much better than other brands I have tried.
i don't like much kuiu stuff, but they have great rain gear (yukon gaiters are excellent too) i did buy a set of kryptek takur to use this season.... i don't trust reviews on rain gear (PNW/AK are where raingear gets truly tested) but the takur seems well liked.... it's more chugach weight, so i don't see it being as good as yukon, but i'm excited to try it.... been meaning to, but got sidetracked by the kutana line last time i needed rain gear.

i do think kuiu messed up a little changing the chugach line.... the first gen chugach was better than the NX version... i would have probably never tried anything else if they had left it alone, it was tougher and had better stretch... i think the stretch makes it more "self healing" with pinholes from salmonberry/devil's club/blackberry bushes... that's what it seems anyways. the raingear with less stretch pinholes out faster, i think there's something to it. both sets of sitka raingear i had looked in great shape still, but leaked to the point it wasn't worth wearing in short order

Brush busting/multi day hight to low price
Arcteryx Alpha or Beta
Kuiu Chugach
Grudens

Anything will work for clear cuts day hunt