Rain gear - Kuiu options?

I may be searching for the proverbial unicorn but I’m looking for a pretty tough packable rain gear. Something I can use here in South Texas where EVERYTHING has thorns on it from the trees to the brush to the cactus; but that I can also use when I’m backpack hunting in the mountains. I have a lot of Kuiu gear that I’ve really come to like - I’ve used Kuiu since it first started - but I’m not tied to them. I’m really looking for input on the durability of the following Kuiu products but I’m also willing to entertain other brands.

Teton Rain Jacket - Waterproof Hunting Jackets & Gear | KUIU

ULTRA NX Rain Jacket - Lightweight Hunting Jackets | KUIU

Chugach NX Rain Jacket - Hunting Rain Jacket | KUIU

I want something that can live in my daypack/hunting pack all year long without taking up much room and that I can throw on during a sudden summer downpour in Texas or over a puffy jacket and outer shell while glassing during a Idaho elk hunt.

What do y’all say?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rockey

FNG
From a durability and packability stand point for what you are looking for, I would recommend Chugach NX as the best all around for warm weather and shell versatility in colder weather.

robie

WKR
It's not on your list but I had a similar search and went with the Yukon jacket as an all purpose piece.

If it chilly out I wore it over merino, as it starts to warm up I just opened the pit zips, when temps dropped I added a puffy underneath it.

For me it eliminated the need for any other outer jackets. I paired that with Ultra NX pants that just stay in the pack until needed.

I own the original Chugach and like it. I bring it backpacking and use it quite a bit. I've done some pretty good brush busting with it and haven't had problems. You asking for something to throw on in a rain storm while glassing/sitting though, so the Chugach wouldn't necessarily be needed. Out of all 3, I'd go with the Chugach because of durability. The Sitka cloudburst would be another option as well. Only 2 ounces more give or take depending on your size.

I have the teton set and have used it in NM and ID on a few occasions. It works very well, is lite, and is always in my pack.

JP100

WKR
The ultra is paper thin, would not last long if you were actually wearing it much.
Chugach is probably the best bet,

Light weight and scrub bashing dont go together haha. If its going to be your pack most the time it should last well. Have had a Chugach for a couple of years and has been good. But I try to look after as I shredded the pants in maybe 2 trips.

OP
BrushyHillGuide
Hrm. Thanks y’all. Gives me something to think about. Realistically, we don’t get much rain around here so it probably doesn’t need to be that tough. But because everything around here is so rough on my regular gear, I’m gun shy. Lol.

Lemme ask y’all this....Is the Yukon similar to the Guide Jacket? I’ve been wearing the Guide Jacket for years and it’s what I typically wear right now in light to moderate rain. I guess what I’m asking is....is the Yukon a upgraded replacement for the Guide jacket, with total water repelancy?

Yukon 100% waterproof. Not quite as thick maybe a little more noise than Guide kind of heavy. Won’t breathe as well as the guide. Stiffer material and a little bit of an odd fit because it’s meant to be worn over heavy clothing.

warrior80

WKR
Hrm. Thanks y’all. Gives me something to think about. Realistically, we don’t get much rain around here so it probably doesn’t need to be that tough. But because everything around here is so rough on my regular gear, I’m gun shy. Lol.

Lemme ask y’all this....Is the Yukon similar to the Guide Jacket? I’ve been wearing the Guide Jacket for years and it’s what I typically wear right now in light to moderate rain. I guess what I’m asking is....is the Yukon a upgraded replacement for the Guide jacket, with total water repelancy?

The Yukon is bulky like the Guide. It has a larger cut too. So not a good choice if it's going to be in your pack most of the time. It's really for if you know it's going to be raining a ton and you will be wearing it all day. It is not insulated like the Guide. The Ultra is nice for the just-in-case rain gear that will be in the pack most of the time. It packs down very small and is super light. Chugach is good if you think you'll be wearing it quite a bit and busting brush, etc. Since I really only want to wear rain gear when it's raining, I would go with the Ultra and just be a little more careful with it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
BrushyHillGuide
Yukon 100% waterproof. Not quite as thick maybe a little more noise than Guide kind of heavy. Won’t breathe as well as the guide. Stiffer material and a little bit of an odd fit because it’s meant to be worn over heavy clothing.

Well, it’s not going to replace my Guide jacket then. As a bowhunter and a guide for bowhunters I like how quiet my Guide and Teton jackets are. I don’t mind noisy in the rain but it couldn’t substitute for me.

The Yukon is bulky like the Guide. It has a larger cut too. So not a good choice if it's going to be in your pack most of the time. It's really for if you know it's going to be raining a ton and you will be wearing it all day. It is not insulated like the Guide. The Ultra is nice for the just-in-case rain gear that will be in the pack most of the time. It packs down very small and is super light. Chugach is good if you think you'll be wearing it quite a bit and busting brush, etc. Since I really only want to wear rain gear when it's raining, I would go with the Ultra and just be a little more careful with it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I might just do that but I need to do some thinking on it. I wish I could afford to buy the Chugach AND the Ultra! Lol. I worry that, with the Ultra stuff, it’ll just take ONE brush against a mesquite limb or a catclaw branch and that $200 jacket or the $200 pants will be ruined. Then, all that weight savings was totally useless. It’s easier to be careful in the mountains than around here.

LaHunter

WKR
I've been to south Texas. There is no such rain gear made that meets the south Texas durability along with being light weight and packable, if you will be off trail and actually out in that stuff. Get some Filson Tin Cloth chaps and jacket or something like that. The thorns and cactus of the south Tx brush will ruin high dollar mountain / packable rain gear in minutes. I have the Kuiu Chugach rain gear and its very good for it designed purpose, but it will not last in the thorns and cactus environment very long, in my opinion.

Big Nasty

Lil-Rokslider
I have both the chugach and Teton pants. The tetons are paper thin but was amazed how much I bush whacked with them with no holes. They were waterproof the whole time too, that's only with 1 season on them tho. I will put them in my summer hiking pack for hiking trails and lighter use stuff and will run the Chugach in the mountain's for sheep hunting, they are just bullet proof IMO and do pack well too. My rain jacket is an arcteryx and I will not be replacing that with anything!

The Yukon is bullet-proof and will handle the thorns you are talking about. It is not real packable though. The Chugach is a great backpacking rain jacket. It's very packable, but I wouldn't run it through a bunch of thorns. If you can swing it, I would get both. If you don't mind slightly used and are patient, you can pick both of them up online for probably 30-40% off of retail.

LaHunter

WKR
The Yukon is bullet-proof and will handle the thorns you are talking about. It is not real packable though. The Chugach is a great backpacking rain jacket. It's very packable, but I wouldn't run it through a bunch of thorns. If you can swing it, I would get both. If you don't mind slightly used and are patient, you can pick both of them up online for probably 30-40% off of retail.

Have you ever been in the cactus and thorns in south Texas?

Nope. But I know a little bit about Kuiu rain gear. Out of their lineup, the only jacket that could handle cactus and thorns is the Yukon jacket. Their other jackets will not. The Yukon jacket was built to take on the nasty vegetation and rocks involved in sheep hunting.

Cactus spines and mesquite thorns will shred just about anything, even punch through a lot of boots. Unless you’re just trying to destroy your gear you’re better off to walk around them or pick your way through carefully. It’s not as if there are forests of the stuff without at least a small gap between. Sometimes you might have to get in there to retrieve an animal you shot, but you don’t have to charge in there at full speed.

If waterproof and durable leg covering is your priority, get some briar chaps and be careful with your jacket. Not high tech and sexy, but cheap and they work.

High N Dri Waterproof Briarproof Chaps | Dan's Briar Proof