Rain gear: Kuiu vs. Sitka

sneaky

"DADDY"
I’m blown away by their dwr treatment
Water just beads up and flies off the jacket but it’s also still new. But it’s better than any Sitka or kuiu I’ve had.

Plus they do use gore Tex pro. Not sure if it’s any better but Sitka is just starting to try it.
If you think that dwr treatment is nice, you should see the treatment on the Altitude stuff from Kryptek. It's unbelievable.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

...........the kuiu yukon is good stuff for specific uses, and durable no doubt but comes with added weight. Plus I’ve found it to take a while to dry out.
Thanks for the insite. Will choose something else as an all-rounder
Others say something similar, they have other suits or brands for certain uses

bates

WKR
yeah, i wore a yukon jacket up in the brooks for sheep.

it was overkill, we didn't see the sun and it stayed kinda damp, didn't leak but felt it was too heavy for that situation

also wore yukon pants on Kodiak, it was a wet 10 days, and they stayed wet, guy in camp had Katana and it dried out much quicker, so i have sold all my yukon gear. it did shine up in Bc on a moose/bison hunt where we returned to camp/lodge/house each night and rode horses everything has a place

like others said for non exersion hunting rubber gear like HH cant be beat

i have kutana ready for my return to brooks next fall

jikkyo

FNG
I actually had an Arcteryx Beta AR that I got on exchange for a Gamma MX hoody that was sent in for repair. Comparing it to the Kuiu Chugach, it sounded like I was crunching plastic bags. Very loud. I ended up trading that in for a Cerium puffy. Super warm and a really nice puffy

Sitka makes several rain gear options and I own a few of em however, the Dewpoint meets my needs most of the time. It's lighter than KUIU, has all the features you want (like pit zips) and you can wear it without overheating like most others. I carry the Dewpoints for insurance, they zip on over my clothes easily but i would not select them for busting thru timber in the NWT. Mine have held up nicely and never leaked. Your mileage may vary.

Bigbull

FNG
The new Kuiu stuff is nowhere near the quality of the original kuiu clothing or rain gear. Rubber is the ONLY waterproof material, but you get wet from the inside more than the outside. No "breathable" fabric from any manufacturer is going to be 100% waterproof all the time. HH Impertech if you want completely waterproof, otherwise you are just waiting for the material to wet out and leak.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I guess I would have to agree with your sentiments.

I unfortunately had a pair of attack pants and a peloton hoodie get thrown away last fall, so I ordered a new one of each. I have had problems with some of the zippers on both items to the point where the zippers are unusable.
My previous attack pants and peloton hoodie had zero problems over three years of use.

I know a lot of AK guys and guides don't bring any pants but yukons on their hunts. I couldn't do it, i sweat way too much. My guide last year on a Brooks Range dall sheep hunt wore yukon pants WITH YUKON GAITERS over the top of them and we had very little precip. Seemed crazy to me but i'm sure he's had some miserable days that made him feel it was worth the swampy legs to not deal with extra layers or taking on/off. Hell i left my gaiters in the supercub because I hate how swampy my feet/calves get with just them on.

Over the past few years i've used a couple different Arcteryx alpha (FL and AR) jackets, alpha pants, chugach pants, and sitka dewpoint jacket. I think they are all top shelf for backpack options. Chugach is most comfortable and quiet and performs better than you'd think it would being stretchy and quiet compared to the gore tex shells. Arcteryx pro shells seem the toughest. The Dewpoint was a good option for the weight but my Alpha AR shell weighs about the same and has true dedicated pit zips and is a little burlier.

All of my Arcteryx stuff has been off Steep n Cheap or on LEAF closeout sales. At full price to full price it would be a hard sell over Chugach.

Last edited:

Kotaman

WKR
I've wore Chugach, Yukon, Dew Point, Storm Front, FL Storm Tite and Kryptek Takur in some pretty wet environments. For me KUIU is no where near the top with the Chugach or Yukon. I can't speak for the Katana. Of the one's I've tried, the Kryptek stuff has been the best by quite a margin. I still use the Dewpoint more for it's packability but when I want to stay dry, I take the Kryptek. The Yukon gets wet and stays wet. My Chugach stuff leaked like a sieve. I've shredded the FL on more than one occasion. My "go to's" now are the Kryptek Takur and the Dewpoint depending on the hunt.

tonedover

FNG
Ive had the same patagonia goretex coat for fishing for 10 years - never any problem. Very surprised at guys saying they leak in 2 years - that gotta be due to heavy brush right?
weird

i bought a discontinued sitka cloudburst set - hope its good. I sent back my FL SEAK due to poor fit and a zipper seam that was coming apart out of the box

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
I switched from gore-tex to Kuiu and it was a big mistake. Both my chugach (lighter weight) and yukon (heavier duty) rain gear would saturate if exposed to even a light constant rain in 2 hours or less. These items were new and should have been in their prime for water repellency. No, this was not body sweat, and kuiu agreed their products were defective and replaced all items. I ended up selling them and went back to gore-tex. From my experience gore-tex is still the best fabric on the market second to rubber for staying dry. The best is a 3-layer pro shell, imo.

KHNC

WKR
Anyone care to comment on the Takur pant and Jacket from Kryptek? It is highly touted by them as being 100% waterproof and able to withstand Alaskan elements. Anyone tried it?