Rain Gear Recommendation for Newfoundland and future hunts

awaldro7

Lil-Rokslider
I am going to Newfoundland the last week in September and have most of my clothing figured out other than rain gear. I would like to purchase some decent rain gear that can be used in the future in backpacking Elk trips and hopefully Brooks Range Caribou. I do not have to have a matching top and bottom and I thought about getting a nice jacket and then a cheaper bottom.

So far I have looked at the following rain gear:

Cabelas Space Rain: This is in my budget, however, I am not sure if it will be sufficient. this is currently on sale 20% off and is one of the lightest and packable options.

Marmot minimalist rain jacket: This is 15oz and is gortex. I tried this on in REI and liked it, however, I read mixed reviews. It seems most are positive and it even won a back packing magazine rain gear of the year award but a few reviews said that it was not waterproof at all.

Kuiu Teton: I am wondering if this is much of an inprovement over the cabelas space rain?

Cabelas Rainy river with gortex pac-lite: I like this option because it is on sale until sunday with 20% off. It is around 15 0z also.

First Lite Vapor Stormlight Ultralight: This is my favorite of the bunch however it is a little out of my budget. The majority of my hunting clothing is firstlite and I would like to keep it that way if possible.

Any recommendations or comments on the jackets above?

Rwbrew3

WKR
I'm a kuiu and sitka guy, just my preference... but i like the chugach rain gear from kuiu, the Teton seemed a lot like the cabelas space rain to me as well, even though i never had it in my hand hand but the pics was enough. I like the first lite option and if it is a bit out of budget i would buy once cry once, or Waite and save until you can afford it, rain gear is extremely important, at least it is to me " I hate being wet " so if its a bit out of range it might be worth the extra money...

Best of luck on your hunt sir !

mcseal2

WKR
The space rain doesn't seem to work really well with pressure against it. I've used it in the boat and where I leaned against my seat my shirt got damp. It seems to be ok when just standing or walking in the rain. I think the Marmot Precip I got as an ultralight "might rain" jacket is better.

I am not sure but it sounds like you might be wanting two different rain jackets to me. An ultralight jacket wouldn't be my first choice for somewhere really wet. I haven't been to Newfoundland, but when I was in Ontario it was wet. I used the Space Rain and got wet. We were just fishing in August but it rained for 3 days. The ultralight "might rain for an hour" jacket I'd be more likely to pack on a drier climate elk or deer hunt isn't what I'd want for Canada or Alaska. I'd want something like the First Lite SEAK, Kryptek Koldo, or one of the other good companies heavier rain coats.

It isn't light or breathable, but the Helly Hennsen Impertech is waterproof. I use it on the ranch and it works as long as I'm not sweating to much. It's fairly cheap too.

I hear good things about First Lite's raingear, but they have different options for different climates like I described above. Read their site carefully before picking on as a do-everything option.

mcseal2

WKR
The raingear thread from a week ago here is exactly what I'm talking about, just saw it after writing the post above.

rfgreenwell

Lil-Rokslider
I have hunted moose, spring and fall bear, and caribou in Newfoundland in 2015, 2016. Go back last week Sept 2018 for a third moose hunt. It rains nearly every day. A good hardshell type rain gear is best for waterproofing, wind, and stands up to the alders. I use krytek koldo myself. All the guides with my outfitter pretty much have sitka stormfront gear. A few kuiu, and one in FL seak I think. Space rain will make you sorry.

OP
awaldro7

awaldro7

Lil-Rokslider
I have hunted moose, spring and fall bear, and caribou in Newfoundland in 2015, 2016. Go back last week Sept 2018 for a third moose hunt. It rains nearly every day. A good hardshell type rain gear is best for waterproofing, wind, and stands up to the alders. I use krytek koldo myself. All the guides with my outfitter pretty much have sitka stormfront gear. A few kuiu, and one in FL seak I think. Space rain will make you sorry.

Do you consider the last week in september a good time to go? That is when I am going. Also what outfitter did you go with? Thanks for the first hand experience. That is really what I need in order to justify spending the extra money.

rfgreenwell

Lil-Rokslider
Last week Sept is my preferred hunt date because calling in those bulls is what it is all about. Have been in Nov and killed then, glassing from a boat. Lake Douglas Outfitters, Sheldon Brown is owner. Great times.

Skip the Kuiu Teton for durability. It is light and packable, but not something I would rely on for a bunch of brush busting. Their Yukon coat is the cat's meow though.

Kilboars

WKR
Skip the Kuiu Teton for durability. It is light and packable, but not something I would rely on for a bunch of brush busting. Their Yukon coat is the cat's meow though.

I agree on the Kuiu rain gear.
I had the zipper on one leg go out during a casual 3D shoot in the rain rendering the pants useless.
Kuiu replaced it no problem but lot of good that would do me on a week hunt in the mountains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of the models listed don't sound very durable. Avoid 2 layer laminates like pac lite if you're looking for something that will last.

OP
awaldro7

awaldro7

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the recommendations. Its hard to spend big bucks on clothing that I cannot go see and try on in a store so it makes it easier when I can hear from non biased opinions.