Rain gear suggestions? Rockies

Hey folks - I am in the market for a new set of rain gear. Most of my kit is Kuiu so my default is just to get something else from them (Chugach probably). Before I pull the trigger are there any other brands I should be looking at?

The majority of my hunting is western big game in Colorado, with trips to Wyoming/Montana. I am typically pretty far back from the trail, backpack hunting so something packable and breathable would be fantastic. I do have an invite to go hunt a friend’s ranch in the Oregon Cascades, so it would be nice to have something handle real rain.

Short list suggestions?

Thanks!

68Plexi

WKR
KUIU, Sitka, First Lite all offer excellent rain gear. If it’s mostly going to ride in your pick and you want to save some $, watch for backpacking brands on sale (Arcteryx, Rab, Mammut, Mountain Hardware) etc.

I just went through this with a buddy. He started with the Chugach and ended up with a 3L rain jacket from Backcounty.com for under $100 on sale. Just depends how much you’re going to use it IMO.

Pacific NW is a whole different ball game. Yukon, chugach or first lite Seak.

Personally I use the Yukon because it’s not much heavier than the Axis I had before and it’s pretty bombproof. I don’t worry about busting brush in it at all. Also hiked in it last fall when it wasn’t wet (just really windy) and just opened the pit zips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j33

WKR
I’m going through the exact same thing but only difference for me is I wanna use it around town and I also moose hunt every fall which means rubbing up against brush. I’m also starting up sheep hunting so need something better than my cheap Eddie Bauer gear.

The Kutana is 1.6oz heavier than the Chugach and much more rip resistant. From what I’ve read the Chugach is pretty tough but can rip easier but more breathable/stretchy/package and cheaper. If you ain’t doing significant brush busting go Chugach.

Marmot Precip is decent, I’ve got the pants but for a jacket want something better than 10000mm rain resistant, Kuiu/Stone Glacier are 20000-30000mm.

Last edited: