rain gear

live4him

FNG
Looking at upgrading rain gear. Thinking FL seak or kuiu options. I really would like pit zips but doesn’t look like seak as that. I currently run the kuiu guide in damp days and a cheaper pack top/bottom for the wet days. Hoping to ditch the guide with a good all around rain jacket to go over base layers and my puffy. Anyone have recommendations?

fatlander

WKR
How much brush are you busting?

I mainly hunt out east, with one western elk trip a year. The Kuiu north ridge is perfect for me. I’ve worn it on all day sits of rain that I should have had my head checked for sitting in. After the hunt, I was bone dry underneath. My hunting partner bought a set after soaking through his military surplus goretex one day while I stayed bone dry.

If I was busting brush all the time, I’d go with one of Kuiu’s heavier sets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
An alternative to consider.

OR Furio is an outstaning jacket with the best pit zips I have seen. Though no camo and not always possible to find a coyote tan one.

The OR Foray jacket has the same ventilation and is lighter. Mine has held up well for 4 years, but I would not bust brush all day in it due to the thinner fabric.

A buddy of mine took Sitka rain gear on a SE AK hunt and it held up well to some pretty stout abuse.

I’ve had good luck with all the Kuiu rain gear, but I mostly just use the Chugach line. I’m also really interested in the Stone Glacier stuff, but I’d like to see a few more reviews before committing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlgc20

WKR
I finally broke down a couple of years ago and got the Kuiu Yukon jacket. While on the heavy side, he thing is bombproof. It breathes well. Alnd does great going through the brush. It was expensive, but I'm glad I did it. One of my few pieces of gear that I never question or look to replace.

OP
L

live4him

FNG
How much do you actually hunt and what type of hunting? It’s very important to justify if you really need it or it’s just wish.
Great question. I typically do a 10 day elk hunt in N Idaho. So it depends on the year, this year we had 3 days of good steady rain. Which is the reason I’ve decided to upgrade. I also do 7 days or so mule deer hunting in sometimes raining and sometimes freezing cold winds or snow. My base layers and mid layers are good. Just hoping for a better outter layer

NEWAoutdoors

Lil-Rokslider
Ive been searching for the perfect waterproof pants and was settled on the yukons (sent back sitka Thunderheads too short). But i just got the stone glacier de havilands and love em so much i ordered the m5 pant

highstepper

Lil-Rokslider
I've had good luck with the Kuiu Chugach, including hunts where a fair amount of brush thrashing was part of the deal (AK peninsula, Wrangells on horseback, southern bottomland swamps). No leaks, minimal wet out., haven't ripped them yet.
I had heard good things about the SEAK, but a guide on a recent AK hunt said his jacket leaked from the get go and that he "hated it". Maybe I'm lucky, but even the fairly light Kuiu has held up really well for me.

slvrslngr

WKR
Hope the OP doesn't mind me asking, as he may be interested in the answer as well. One issue I have with most rain gear of any kind, is water wicking up the sleeves and legs from the cuffs. How do the Sitka/Kuiu/FL/Seek products compare as to this issue?