• Bass Pro Redhead Stretch

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gander Mountain TecH2O

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 22 84.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am a bit unimpressed with Space Rain. My buddy had some Redhead (Bass Pro) that looked about the same weight but perhaps a bit more rugged.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Some of the ultralight stuff from backpacking companies works very well and is more durable. I did not have good luck with my Space Rain stuff: very delicate.

Look at Earth tone 2.5 layer stuff from Patagonia, REI, Marmot, etc. I have a 12 ounce 3-layer eVent Kimtah jacket from REI, that I like a lot (especially the breathability). I also have some 2.5 layer rain pants from Patagonia. Both of these items have held up to some heavy use. Both have never leaked.

dotman

WKR
My issue is that in southern co i have yet to really need it and the nightly rain when it comes is usually late. Maybe one or two days straight of heavy rain that i have experienced. In the past i just used a garbage bag when needed but am thinking of upgrading.

I'm debating on even wasting the money on space rain and just putting that 160 towards the Kuiu Chugach set. I know my guide jacket and attackp ants bead rain very well, but if you're caught in a downpour I may get wet.

Dotman, you could probably get by with a garbage bag for the heavy heavy rains, or grab a silnylon poncho from backcountry.com I'm debating on the rain gear issue as well, I've got other things I'd like to upgrade first. And with the Kuiu stuff beading rain so well I might just stick with it for this year. Now I'm not saying sit in a downpour, but if you're in the trees you'll be fine in the Kuiu Guide Jacket and Attack Pants. I was hunting in steady rain for 2 days in Idaho and I didn't get wet in my Kuiu stuff, and that isn't even the CHugach gear.

dotman

WKR
Thats just it, todays standard materials do not get soaking wet and dry quickly. I used microtex outer layer and first lite as base, it drys quickly i think. I already carry afew 3mil bags that in the past worked ok for the heavy downpour but those usually last an hour and then moves on, light mist or drizzle just doesn't bother me.

OP
Brandon Pattison
Thats just it, todays standard materials do not get soaking wet and dry quickly. I used microtex outer layer and first lite as base, it drys quickly i think. I already carry afew 3mil bags that in the past worked ok for the heavy downpour but those usually last an hour and then moves on, light mist or drizzle just doesn't bother me.

What about with wool?

trevore

Lil-Rokslider
It's really hard to say for sure. I've been on hunts where I had 5 solid days of rain, almost 24 hrs a day. Then I've had hunts where it rained less than an hour on any given day and not at all on other days.

I used Cabelas Mt050 for allot of years. It did it's job and I was pleased with that purchase. I decided to upgrade to the Chugach last year. I look at this way: I have 10-14 days to drive to CO, hunt, and then drive home. I'm not going to risk being absolutely miserable on my hunt for the cost/weight of good rain gear.

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

dotman

WKR
What about with wool?

I think the wool baselayer dry good not as qiuckly as syn but when it really pours i'm under cover and in a garbage bag. Not really a great setup to continue hunting in, i'm going to get atleast a rain jacket and maybe some pants but definetly a jacket for this year.

BMB

Lil-Rokslider
old school Cabelas MT050..... it's worked great, but gonna try out the Kuiu stuff this year.

OR Archer

WKR
Look at the Under Armour Stealth rain jacket. I have a set of these and they perform exceptionally well. They also pack into their own pocket and are very light weight.

Kuiu rain gear is the way to go. I hunted in mine and never was wet for 1.5 days in NY. I think it is the best rain gear I have ever owned. I have and used many and think this is the best gear for me. JJ

idabow

FNG
I use a two piece packable rain gear made by ASAT camo its a lot like the cabelas rain gear only its $100 for the set. It is a little noisey until it gets wet but its great gear for the money.

strawman

Lil-Rokslider
I've had good luck with eVent shells and pants from Westcomb and Rab. eVent seems to breach much better than GoreTex or any of the 3rd party gear I've tried. Doesn't come in camo obviously, but that's a bonus as I can wear it everywhere.

B

bearguide

we need to do a wet test on different rain gear to see what works best/ place the gear over a 5 gallon bucket then pour a gallon of water on each garment to be tested then leave them and see which ones start to leak. best rain gear for heavy alders and heavy rain is helly hanson