Rain Gear

My hunting buddy and I were going over gear and planning our fall trip this year and rain gear came up. I don't have any and he has just a cheap pair that leaks. We need some help figuring out what set to get. I have money going elsewhere (optics) so I don't have a lot of funding available for rain gear. All your help will be greatly appreciated.

Tried to send you a PM. I've got two sets of rain gear I'd be willing to sell. A set of Cabelas Space Saver packable rain gear, and a set of River's West...let me know if you are interested. (Or anyone else for that matter).

Ozz08

WKR
I've been using the cabelas space rain set the last couple years and have no complaints. I haven't used it in a hunting situation since I bought it but I've used it a ton while spring bass fishing in some good rains. It has kept me dry every time. It's super light and packs down to nothing. Its also pretty cheap compared to most other rain gear. Having said that many reviews have said its not the most durable rain gear out there. Like I said its really light, therefore it's also very thin and I can see it tearing fairly easy if you snagged it on the brush.

I've been using the cabelas space rain set the last couple years and have no complaints. I haven't used it in a hunting situation since I bought it but I've used it a ton while spring bass fishing in some good rains. It has kept me dry every time. It's super light and packs down to nothing. Its also pretty cheap compared to most other rain gear. Having said that many reviews have said its not the most durable rain gear out there. Like I said its really light, therefore it's also very thin and I can see it tearing fairly easy if you snagged it on the brush.

I can attest to this, I'd probably part with the set for about 75 bucks TYD. The jacket is perfectly fine, but the pants have a hole in the leg, and snagged on the bottom pant cuff the first time I took them out. I patched them with some black duck tape...they've worked just fine ever since. But honestly they've spent most of their life after that in my closet because I bought my River's West and love it. I'm sure someone who wanted to spend more then thirty seconds fixing them could do a better job.

I do a backpack spring bear hunt every year in hells canyon. Weather can be brutal from heavy rain to blowing snow. I have two sets of packable rain wear and one set of under armor rain wear. The packable stuff is fine if your careful with it. The under armor is about a half pound heavier but bomb proof in those conditions. I have a hunting buddy that destroyed the Cabela's space rain packable rain wear in one hells canyon trip. When your 5 or 6 miles in you think twice about that lightweight gear when you are in those harsh conditions. Now with that said I like the packable to carry in my day pack for those occasional thunder storms.

I use the Mto50 brand from cabelas. It is packable and good quality gear. Do alot of research before you buy, at many differant brands look at kuiu,cabelas brand, predator brand and the sitka.

jmez

WKR
Buddy of mine trashed his Space Saver raingear in a day on a Co trip. Stuff is fine until you have to use it. It won't hold up in the field.

I like the Kryptek raingear for packing. It isn't terribly heavy and has kept me dry so far. It doesn't hold water and is quiet. I've only had it a couple of years. Also have a set of MTO50 that has been to hell and back, still looks like the day I bought it over ten years ago. That stuff is bombproof. It is also heavy for packing and the fabric tends to hold a lot of water in the knap.

mdog

FNG
Great information on alot of good raingear. A couple of things to keep in mind when getting this advise are; (1) the season these guys are hunting. Bow season in September is different than rifle in mid-October. The weather later in the year deserves more respect/better rain gear. (2) Rocky Mtns are not the same as the Coastal Mtns. What works in WYO will not work in OR/AK. The rains on the coastal states is more intense and prolonged and this means more understory/brush/durable rain gear. When I read these theads, the advice seems "all over the place" and it should be-it's the internet. That said in Wyo/Co-bow season, I carry a 6 oz cubin poncho that I can slip over me, my pack, and my knees and wait out the downpour. I've had elk run right by me to get into cover. Once the heavy rain stops the DWR on good gear will be adequate. That said I have raingear in the truck just in case and would carry it if the 10-day forcast looked really wet. It's old Sitkagear Stormlite-hasn't been used in 3 years.

shaun

WKR
I have the kuiu stuff and it is great but it isn't really needed for early season I will be changing up to the cabelas space rain packs up super small is very light and offers great protection for early season rain

I have heard that First Lite has some pretty sweet new rain gear. I have not had it in my hands yet; waiting on that product to become available.

RUTTIN

WKR
You could also look at Core4element Torrent rain gear, I have been pleased with the quality, and the price isn't that bad either for quality rain gear.

littlebuf

Banned
marmot precip jacket and i dont carry pants. that jacket is super light and bomb proof. where i hunt eats rain gear too, and this jacket has held up. my lower half i just deal with getting wet and drying out. if it makes a difference im hunting mostly western washington, we see just a little bit of rain and they dont call it the jungle for nothing, plenty of gear tearing brush. i picked mine up off ebay for around 80 bucks new

OP
WyoBowhunter21
Thanks everyone. It has been brought up about what region I will be hunting. That was a great point. The only places in the foreseeable future that I will be hunting is co, wyo, Arizona, and Nevada. Wyo this fall. So for wyo we almost never get rain. I need something for wyoming, light, and cheap that prob won't get used very often.

Snipershirt

Lil-Rokslider
I use sitka stormfront and downpour series however I also have and recommend the cabelas for early season and budget minded hunts. Good luck!

bowuntr

WKR
I use the Cabelas Space Rain for lightweight backpacking. Not very durable but more than enough to wait out a summer thunderstorm. Lightweight aned packable... Ed F

Last edited: