Rain jacket replacing mid layer

Muleyslayer14

Lil-Rokslider
I am in the market for a new rain jacket. I would like to hear people’s opinions on getting a heavier jacket, like the Sitka thunderhead or Kuiu Yukon and replacing my First lite mid layer for archery backcountry hunts with the rain jacket. I will still carry a Kifaru lost park parka for my warmest layer.

How warm do you guys find the rain jackets to be?
How noisy are the jackets?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Personally, I hate wearing rain jackets. I would never replace my midlayer (fleece) with one. I might throw one in the pack, but it wouldn't replace anything that I currently use.

bitbckt

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Yukon and I can't think of a midlayer I'd replace with it. I use it as my outermost layer during Dec-Jan. Otherwise, it stays home.

[edit] To clarify, I usually put it over top of a puffy, a fleece, and a heavy merino next-to-skin.

OP
Muleyslayer14

Muleyslayer14

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Yukon and I can't think of a midlayer I'd replace with it. I use it as my outermost layer during Dec-Jan. Otherwise, it stays home.

[edit] To clarify, I usually put it over top of a puffy, a fleece, and a heavy merino next-to-skin.

Would you recommend ditching the lost park parka and running a heavy mid layer and the rain jacket on top? I’m trying to prevent packing 3 jackets, but even in August it can get down into the low 40’s and always windy in mornings.

Also have you enjoyed the Yukon? Any complaints?

bitbckt

Lil-Rokslider
Would you recommend ditching the lost park parka and running a heavy mid layer and the rain jacket on top? I’m trying to prevent packing 3 jackets, but even in August it can get down into the low 40’s and always windy in mornings.

Also have you enjoyed the Yukon? Any complaints?

Yes, if the weather isn't looking wet, I would use insulation to stay warm, and prefer grid fleece over a puffy to break the wind. If it's wet, or the fleece just isn't cutting it, I would add a light rain jacket over top.

The Yukon works well. My only complaint is with its weight - that's why it stays home most of the year. It's only worth lugging around when I'm expecting heavy rain or ~0F cold.

SoTxShooter

Lil-Rokslider
Personally, I hate wearing rain jackets. I would never replace my midlayer (fleece) with one. I might throw one in the pack, but it wouldn't replace anything that I currently use.
I sweat like a $5 whore on nickel night in rain gear...I couldn’t imagine swapping it for a fleece!

bhylton

WKR
archery season? baselayer, LPP and lightweight rain jacket would be my go-to if you need a rain jacket. no need for a heavy duty rain coat.

elkduds

WKR
My waterproof/breathable rain jacket (Core4 Torrent) has become my outer layer before daylight, after dark, and for heavy wind and/or rain during Sept. in CO. I'm above 10K so its chilly early and late, also during storms. I was carrying the rain jacket all the time, taking off a soft shell about 8 am, for the rest of the day. It was sprinkling before dawn one day so I left the SS in the pack and started off wearing the Torrent, all vents open for a brisk climb. It worked well enough that I leave the SS in camp most days in Sept.

OP
Muleyslayer14

Muleyslayer14

Lil-Rokslider
My waterproof/breathable rain jacket (Core4 Torrent) has become my outer layer before daylight, after dark, and for heavy wind and/or rain during Sept. in CO. I'm above 10K so its chilly early and late, also during storms. I was carrying the rain jacket all the time, taking off a soft shell about 8 am, for the rest of the day. It was sprinkling before dawn one day so I left the SS in the pack and started off wearing the Torrent, all vents open for a brisk climb. It worked well enough that I leave the SS in camp most days in Sept.

Elkduds where would you rate that jacket compared to Sitka and kuiu?

This was along my line of thought. I have had lightweight jackets fail me three separate times leaving me miserably soaked. I also don’t appreciate how loud most rain gear is, especially for stalking. Granted I would like to never wear a jacket on a stalk but they are so compact that they fit into a final approach bag well.

1-I would like to try rain jacket as mid and puffy for serious warmth
2-warmer mid with rain jacket for outer shell

I think I will test out both combos this year depending on expected temps, yes it really does get that chilly during archery. I’m just tired of packing three jackets.

Macchina

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going to go way out on a limb here and recommend an ECWCS surplus Level 6 Goretex parka. I have used mine on my last 2 hunts (1 week winter island hunt for Whitetail and a fall Wyoming hunt for Pronghorn/Mule Deer). On the island hunt especially I found it's extreme winds resistance to be excellent and the huge pit zips are great for dumping humidity. It packs big so it has to replace 2 layers for me but I find it perfect for rain/wind if the temp is between 25° and 60°.

The island hunt it pack around 8 miles in and pack our deer out so weight is critical.

In Wyoming we were hit with a surprise storm with lots of snow and a 20° morning where I had a 30 minute quad ride to the mountain I wanted to hunt. I was so grateful for my ECWCS kit in that wind! The hood can really be cinched down and the ride proved it's worth in 30 mph winds.

Other rain gear work great but the ECWCS kit is so many times more durable. This is the only rain jacket I use as a general layer as well as my outer shell. I live in the thing for a week if it's below 60°. I don't stalk in it if it's quiet out and not raining but find I can stay out all day comfortably in the rain as long as my boots hold up.

Macchina

Lil-Rokslider
Also, I've found the stiffer Goretex jackets are far less humid to me when really moving than the lightweight flexible jackets. When really waterlogged after a week of rain the thinner jackets stick to me if I'm damp at all and their breathability is shot. The stiff jackets never cling and seem to maintain their breathability forever.