Rain jacket

NEhunter

WKR
Looking for a rain jacket for a Colorado mid September elk hunt. I currently own the Cabelas rain suede stuff but it is heavy. I am currently looking at the Marmot Precip, Marmot Oracle, and Cabelas rainy river paclite. I am leaning towards the Precip due to the price and fact that it has pit zips and comes with a great price tag. My next choice would be the Cabelas gore tex paclite but it does not have pit zips, however, it is on sale now for about 75 bucks. The Marmot Oracle is at the top of my price range for now, I would really like the Kuiu jacket but it just isnt in the budget for rain gear this year. Looking for opinions from you guys and any other suggestions that I may be interested in.

I have used the precip for a few years for backpacking and I really like it. I have a climbing 3 layer hardshell that I take on most hunts now. For the money the precip is a good choice when you know you aren't going to be facing constant rains.

You may want to double check if Kuiu's first generation rain jackets are still on sale / outlet. I wear Marmot gear but that gray Kuiu Chugach is multipurpose. If you are hunting in pines it is way too light in hue, although it works for open country.

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
I would also take a look at the RedHead® Pro Light GORE-TEX® Camo Rain Jacket at Bass Pro Shops website. It is a Gore-tex performance shell rather than the Paclite shell. It is a bit heavier but still very packable (packs in its own pocket), and has pit zips. Very happy with mine.

OP
NEhunter

NEhunter

WKR
I would also take a look at the RedHead® Pro Light GORE-TEX® Camo Rain Jacket at Bass Pro Shops website. It is a Gore-tex performance shell rather than the Paclite shell. It is a bit heavier but still very packable (packs in its own pocket), and has pit zips. Very happy with mine.
Thanks for the replies guys. Biggs, do you know what the weight is on this jacket? I didnt see it listed on there.

sk1

WKR
not sure what your budget is, im pretty impressed so far with the core4element torrent gear, when it goes on camofire the top and bottom are $99 each. although i cant say how it performs in field use as it is brand new...so far i am glad i bought it.

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
The Redhead (size XL) weighs in a 1lb. 2oz. according to my trusty Shimano scale which I re-calibrated before weighing.

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Chugach mostly but have used the Marmot Precip for backcountry fishing trips for a few years as well. I really like the weight, pit zips and shell performance. Can't beat the price tag for what you get. I think they redesigned them a couple years ago so they may be even better now.

Mckinnon

WKR
I just picked up a brand new Marmot Precip at an REI garage sale for $22, it's lightweight for sure. I really like it so far. Have only used in rain once so far though, but it did great, I am happy to get it for such a good price, will be a great pack jacket.

ShootToKIll

Banned
I use chugach, they are expensive but you get what you pay for. Keep an eye out on the kuiu for sales. I have seen some good deals for the first generation ones like mentioned above

I just picked up a brand new Marmot Precip at an REI garage sale for $22, it's lightweight for sure. I really like it so far. Have only used in rain once so far though, but it did great, I am happy to get it for such a good price, will be a great pack jacket.

Super deal! Marmot is quality stuff, lifetime warranty to boot.