Rain pants as your primary pant?

I met a fellow hunter not long ago that hunts in KUIU Yukon pants as his only outer layer, regardless of season. He also does a lot of big mountain peak summits throughout the year and again, Yukon pants. He claims it's all he needs and keeps him prepared for anything he might encounter while also saving the weight of wearing a more traditional pant and carrying rain gear. I hunted with him for spring bear and it was 85 degrees, he was in Yukon pants the whole time.

I think it would suck but he's all about it and has been doing it for years. Is this a thing people are actually doing or is this guy off his rocker?

id_jon

WKR
How long before they are worn enough to not be waterproof? I've never tried rainpants, but if they're as hot as a light rain jacket is on me, then there's no way.

Elkangle

WKR
I love long John's and rain shell

But only when needed...which isn't to terribly often

I’ve been doing the same thing for the last two or three years now, but my main go to pant is the Kuiu Chugach. I also hunt a fair amount in shorts with a pair of merino zip off bottoms underneath, but if it’s wet, and or cold (very common in AK), I’ll just wear rain gear. I only carry one pair of pants on a mountain hunt, they’re usually on me so not in my pack, and they’re usually the Chugach, but sometimes Yukon’s if I anticipate a lot of bush whacking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
W
I’ve been doing the same thing for the last two or three years now, but my main go to pant is the Kuiu Chugach. I also hunt a fair amount in shorts with a pair of merino zip off bottoms underneath, but if it’s wet, and or cold (very common in AK), I’ll just wear rain gear. I only carry one pair of pants on a mountain hunt, they’re usually on me so not in my pack, and they’re usually the Chugach, but sometimes Yukon’s if I anticipate a lot of bush whacking.

What kind of lifespan are you seeing with your pants? I'd think they would shit the bed prematurely but I haven't tried it myself.

Kitten

FNG
I think it's one of those things that is a "whatever works best for you". I did a bunch of hiking in the first lite stormtight pants in weather that was on and off drizzle and really enjoyed being able to sit for a minute on whatever and not get my butt wet. My legs sweat a bunch, but it wasn't bad enough to where I wanted to switch pants and the inside dried out super fast. I think in hot weather I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much.

Kentk

FNG
I've been doing the same with a pair if sitka thunder head pants for the last three seasons. Open the side zips when it gets hot and I cool off quick. Works great for me.

wildcat33

WKR
I’ll wear Yukons for an entire hunt if there is lots of snow on the ground or snow is melting and everything is wet. The choice to go Yukons in 85 degrees is bold. But for cooler to cold weather it makes life simple and low stress. The pants you got on are ready for anything. I dig it.

What kind of lifespan are you seeing with your pants? I'd think they would shit the bed prematurely but I haven't tried it myself.

I currently have four or five pairs but several of them are back ups that I’ve never worn. I’m still wearing my originals/1st ones I ever bought back in 2013, I think. I’ve put some holes in them (ripped them with my crampons last year), but I just repair them and move on. I wash them in Nikwax, then spray them down with the Nikwax spray at the end of each hunt, and they’re still working fine. When they finally do give up the ghost, I’ll just toss ‘em and pull out the next pair.

Wrench

WKR
I seam sealed a pair of Bora's and wear them 90% of rifle season. They're too loud for archery, but the breathability and waterproofness are awesome.

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
I tried wearing a pair of kuiu Yukon pants for a week for Co elk archery. Never again. It was to hot. I thought I was saving weight by not having to carry them.

This would probably work for someone that doesn't overheat nor sweat easily with exertion.
For the vast majority it probably wouldn't work well.

OP
W
I've got a pair of Chugach pants and I'm going to try this theory out once the snow melts. The concept is valid, just have to see for myself.

Antares

WKR
I hunted all last season in long underwear and the FL SEAK Stormtight pants. Works fine for me. I do worry about all the brush and salmonberries snagging them up though.

Wrench

WKR
You guys that sweat a lot, the Bora are the answer.

I dumped sweat out of my shirt yesterday but my pants were dry as ever.