Rain pants, gaiters, or both

NEhunter

WKR
Looking for suggestions on what to pack for mid September Colorado. Rain pants, gaiters or both. I am taking a rain jacket for the top but I am sort of leaning towards a pair of gaitors only on the bottom to save weight and space. Not to mention the gaiters dont get as hot as a pair of rain bottoms. What do you guys take?

Rizzy

WKR
Rain pants.
Skip the gaiters unless there is a couple of inches of snow on the ground or you are worried about debris in your boots.

Wrench77

WKR
It doesn't rain that much in here in Colorado so I'm not sure you need either one, especially if the pants your wearing dry quickly. It might have something to do with the elevation your hunting also. This is just my experience I've only been hunting for 3 years so take that for what it is.

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
I always take my rain pants on long trips. I rarely use them unless its a torrential downpour, but when I need them I am glad I have them. I use them far more often in winter. They are good for rain, wind, wet snow, extra warmth. Worth having around IMO, I also do not bring any other spare clothing for my legs as my rain pants are my "spares"

OP
NEhunter

NEhunter

WKR
Thanks for the replies guys. I was kind of leaning towards the gaitors for walking through wet vegitation after a shower or in the mornings since Colorado doesnt seem to get too much rain, however, if you guys with experience out there think pants then Ill leave the gaitors home.

Mike7

WKR
Hunt WA and N ID and do fine without rain pants prior to Oct, but never go without some form of gaiters. If on the move wet thighs will dry out and won't cause hypothermia as long as you have a warm dry core, head, and feet.

jmez

WKR
Without question pack both. You can leave one, the other or both in the truck. I would at least take the gaiters with you on the hunt. Two years ago in Co it rained almost every day on a 10 day hunt. Grass was tall and soaked. If you didn't have gaiters on the insides of your boots were soaked from water wicking down your socks. Last year was really dry, except for the day that it rained and snowed three inches. Again with nothing water will wick down your socks because of the wet grass. There will be frost and or dew every morning. Take the gaiters, they are light and will keep your feet dry.

I have both with me every day. I don't like being wet and HATE wet feet.

littlebuf

Banned
a good pair of gators and a rain jacket is all I wear and that's western Washington. I cant stand rain pants. if your moving a lot theres just no need, ive found this to be a very comfortable combo- kenetrek gators and a marmot precip jacket. again that's western Washington in sheet rain and jungle brush. but growing up working and playing outside in washington getting a little wet never bothered me.

a good pair of gators and a rain jacket is all I wear and that's western Washington. I cant stand rain pants. if your moving a lot theres just no need, ive found this to be a very comfortable combo- kenetrek gators and a marmot precip jacket. again that's western Washington in sheet rain and jungle brush. but growing up working and playing outside in washington getting a little wet never bothered me.

X2. I doubt I'll ever pack rain pants unless in Alaska or Western Washington.

Mike

TJ

WKR
Both but I hunt in Wa state.

I hunt in Oregon, so both.

I had one September elk season where where it snowed every time I was hunting, about 12 days that year.

Not much fun trying to dry everything out by a fire when you should be out hunting.

I too hunt NE Oregon for elk which is a lot like CO I'd think. For me it kinda depends on the forecast.
I like my Softshell fleece lined pants for wetter forcasts or snow, but like gaiters and Wrangler Riggs "Ranger Pants" for drier forecasts.
As for which gaiters....I run w/ the Wilderness Pack Specialties gaiters out of (Klamath Falls, OR) for like $35
American made quality.

wapitibob

WKR
I don't own rain pants. I always use/carry gaiters and carry a Sportsmans Warehouse rain jacket rolled up in it's little stuff sack.

OP
NEhunter

NEhunter

WKR
Sounds like my goretex paclite jacket and OR crocs should be good to go for Sept. in Colorado.

huntography

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Huntnfish, I'll check those out.

Re: crocs in the backcountry - from my experience camping and hunting, unless you just wear them in camp, you might get a sharp branch of twig to go right through the sole and cut your foot like it happened to me. Since then, I wear my Keen sandals in camp to rest my feet and keep them comfortable.

Rudy

OP
NEhunter

NEhunter

WKR
Thanks Huntnfish, I'll check those out.

Re: crocs in the backcountry - from my experience camping and hunting, unless you just wear them in camp, you might get a sharp branch of twig to go right through the sole and cut your foot like it happened to me. Since then, I wear my Keen sandals in camp to rest my feet and keep them comfortable.

Rudy
I think we are talking about 2 differnt kinds of "crocs" here.