Rain Pants: How often do you use them?

300m

FNG
I have a pair of Sitka that in keep in my pack all of the time. Most of my hunting is via horseback and I don't like wearing the rain pants in the saddle. I only use them when absolutely necessary (steady rain and I know I am going to be soaked).

ChrisAU

WKR
I carried them on my first elk hunt in CO, never used them, then let the forums convince me I wouldn't need them in CO. Then on my 2nd elk hunt, on my last pack out to the truck it was snowing pretty good and just walking through tall grass my pants got soaked. Thank goodness I was going to my truck and not back to camp because I would have had serious issues with freezing soaked clothing in a half blizzard. When I got back I got a cheap pair of Cabela's space rain pants to keep in my pack moving forward.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here in Colorado they get used more for wind. They did save me once on a summer hike while wearing shorts. Having owned several inexpensive brands and three different kuiu rain pants I’ve settled on a pair from rei. 3/4 leg zips, two hand pockets, assuming a 10k rated 2.5 layer material it’s a good mix of features for what I want and need. I do miss the weight and pack size of the ultra nx but not my money tied up in them. Overall I do like packing rain pants in the mountains for the what if chance I need them.

Davem6869

FNG
I carried My FL rain gear on my first Elk Hunt last year. thought it would be a good investment just in case. Now that i have been I am selling all my "just in case" stuff and only going to bring my needs. Packing fears cost me 10lbs in pack weight. I will have a super light cabelas pair of rain gear that cost me $30 in the truck and they will stay there until they are needed. I will save the 2lbs

Squamch

WKR
I'm in coastal BC. I NEVER leave the house without rain gear. I have 2 sets in my truck for work, plus gum boots. I have the set in my pack, plus the spares in the hunting rig, and another pair of gum boots. And one more set in the hall closet at home. It rains a lot here, and I hate being soaked.

OP
Wright406

Wright406

WKR
I'm in coastal BC. I NEVER leave the house without rain gear. I have 2 sets in my truck for work, plus gum boots. I have the set in my pack, plus the spares in the hunting rig, and another pair of gum boots. And one more set in the hall closet at home. It rains a lot here, and I hate being soaked.
Yeah I would be doing the same up there!

tttoadman

WKR
I am a western Oregon guy also. I wear these pants all day. They are sized and feel like regular pants instead of fitting like a giant plastic bag like some rain gear. I agree with others if you are seldom using your rain gear, it is not worth spending this much money.

Mt Al

WKR
I have some older Simms rain pants with full side zips, sure wish they made them like this now a days. Awesome design but I'm sure they lost money on every pair.

Similar to others in Montana, I don't pack them unless it might rain or for warming up in windy conditions. For longer trips on the road, they're always in the truck "just in case", but they don't go in the pack unless there's a need.

Brendan

WKR
Two years out of the last 6 I've felt I really needed them in Montana and Wyoming during archery elk season.

2017 we got a bunch of wet snow and I needed the extra protection and warmth. Would've been miserable without them and my gaiters together.

This year in Wyoming had a bunch of rain storms, and I found myself walking through a LOT of crotch high grass and brush almost daily, and I didn't have rain pants, just gaiters. I was miserable, water running down my legs behind the gaiters into my boots and my feet were ruined after 10 days. Threw away the garbage pair I'd brought with me, and bought something nicer with a side zip.

Personally, there are scenarios you need them, so I'll always have them in the truck. If I'm hiking in for a longer period of time where it's tough to hike back out, I'm now more biased towards carrying them than not.

They are always in my pack in Northern BC, NWT, Nunavut. Never carry them in AZ and I never even owned a pair when I lived and hunted CO for 35 years (archery elk, backpacking, etc). Doesn't mean I never had rain or snow there, just got by with a cheap rain coat (army surplus).

Jimss

WKR
In Alaska it's a no-brainer! Either Sitka/Kuiu raingear when active or Helly Henson when not active.

I carried and used raingear every weekend this past summer while scouting bighorn sheep in the high alpine here in Colo. It was windy and relatively cold in July and August on several of my sheep scouting trips at 10,000 to 13,000' elevation. The rain paints/jacket was nice for cutting wind while glassing on ridgetops. I spent hours glassing so it was nice having an additional layer.

Rain gear really doesn't weigh much and are often worth their weight in gold when I truly need them! There are times I could have survived but would have been miserable. In October through December they are always in my pack because weather can turn for the worse in a hurry. They are also nice when there is snow or wet ground to sit and glass.

On day trips in Colo and Wyo I watch the forecast and weather to decide if I want to pack them.

Last edited:

rm06

WKR
Rain gear is always in my pack. I hunt CO so it is rarely needed but it is worth it's weight in gold when you do.

Scotto

WKR
I always carry a set of goretex rain gear. CO in September of 2013 comes to mind every time I even think of not carrying them. They also provide a good wind break when needed.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't use mine very often, but when I need them I generally really need them-so I carry them.

Carrying them is not enough though, you need to don them too! :) On last year's Bob Marshall Wilderness Open I made a huge tactical error on day one, I was at 7000' at a pass and started raining- I donned my rain jacket, but figured it would be short lived and didn't don my rain pants. The temperature was mid 30's (on snowshoes w/ about 4' of snow), as the dwr on my soft-shell pants started to give out, I still didn't put my rain pants on (stupidly thinking it would surely back off soon). Well it didn't and with my legs soaking wet (mid 30's) the only way I could come close to staying warm was moving. When I would stop for a break- water/calories, about 1-2 minutes is all I could stop without going into shivering fits. Fortunately the sun came out several hours later and my pants began to slowly dry (a very large fire during a supper stop finished the job). The next morning it was lightly raining (again mid 30's), this time I put my rain pants on- what a difference!