Rain Shell or Softshell?

I am split on whether to go with a soft shell jacket, or rain shell as an outer layer. It doesn’t rain very often during the season in Northern CA, but I do plan on going on hunts in other areas and different times of the year. My layering setup is
Sitka Core LW hoody plus option of Jetstream vest and core heavyweight hoody, and will be purchasing a heavier weight puffy jacket such as a Kuiu super down pro.
I used a Sitka Jetstream this season, but found it a bit tight to layer anything more than a core heavyweight underneath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmahoney

WKR
I have both, I bring the light weight rain jacket earlier in the season if there is going to be rain or if I’m going to be up high glassing in the wind. If it’s going to be cold and windy or later in the season the soft shell makes a big difference in warmth. If it’s early and no rain in the forecast I’ll leave them both.

tracker12

WKR
I am split on whether to go with a soft shell jacket, or rain shell as an outer layer. It doesn’t rain very often during the season in Northern CA, but I do plan on going on hunts in other areas and different times of the year. My layering setup is
Sitka Core LW hoody plus option of Jetstream vest and core heavyweight hoody, and will be purchasing a heavier weight puffy jacket such as a Kuiu super down pro.
I used a Sitka Jetstream this season, but found it a bit tight to layer anything more than a core heavyweight underneath.

I love the jet stream. Soft shells all the way. Just buy a bigger size and your set