Rain shells for moose/Alaska

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I used the stone glacier rain jacket last year, I wish I had my kuiu jacket back. The stone glacier kept me dry and everything but the pockets always feel wet and the zipper sort of sucks. I should have stuck to my yukon set.

I took my Kuiu Chugach jacket and the HH rubber jacket on my moose hunt. I wore my Chugach 100% of the time while hunting. Simple reason, it was breathable and wouldn’t get shredded climbing spruce. The only time I wore my HH rubber jacket was after I had shot my moose and went to the river to stand in one spot and fish for salmon.

The HH is the clear cut obvious choice if you want 100% waterproofness no matter how long the exposure to rain. I would not consider hiking around in it however. It does not breathe at all.

There are obvious excellent goretex/waterproof jacket makers that are not in the hunting market (Arc Teryx, Miuntain Hardwear, OR, Marmot, etc) however finding one that is half as quiet as the hunting intended brands can be a little difficult. My Arc Teryx shell is no doubt the most waterproof jacket I own. However it’s like putting on stiff cardboard and can be heard from a good distance away. That may or may not matter but just be aware of that fact.

OP
tam9492

tam9492

WKR
More fantastic info! I’m in Pennsylvania, and I don’t hunt in steady, hard rain too often. However, I’d like to be prepared for times I want to, as well as have an every-day rain jacket for kids sporting events and other activities. I also want a solid option for trips (even other than this moose hunt) where sitting out a day due to rain isn’t an option. If I have a week to hunt somewhere, I want to be hunting.

I have the Sitka dew point jacket and pants, always worked really well for elk hunting. But a 3 hour rain storm in Canada left me soaked to the bone. Would not recommend the lighter weight stuff for anywhere wet.

ndbuck09

WKR
wore the new kuiu Chugach jacket this past sept for a moose hunt in Alaska. Just like all "breathable" rain gear, once it's saturated with water, the pores are filled and it can't breathe hardly at all. So you will sweat just like anything else for rain gear. I was talking to someone about this a while back and they were like, well what about the DWR coating? It's laughable to think that DWR does anything...it only repels water for about 20 mins and when you're rolling through 10ft talk alders and brush, it's getting rubbed and the jacket is soaked.
It didn't leak though I'll say that! but you'll have that nice moist sweat going on; which you'd rather have than take 40 degree rain on directly.