Rain suit vs Poncho question

Grabwad

Lil-Rokslider
Im going on an early season bowhunt for elk next August in Colorado and was wondering if you guys carry a rain suit or just a poncho to get thru those afternoon thunderstorms? I have an old military poncho that is a good bit lighter than my rain suit.

Thanks

In light, or on and off rain, I use a rain suit (I always use a rain suit). I tend to sit on areas, so a poncho simply won't give me the protection I need to be comfortable.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have carried just a poncho on base camp and overnight trips. Wouldn't rely on it if hiking in for multiple days.

Poncho would do well to cover the bow to protect it whereas a rainsuit would only protect you. If you were expecting rain, or of it was raining when you start out, you would probably be better protected with the rainsuit. If you didn't expect rain, but got caught in a sudden rainstorm the poncho could be deployed quickly to cover you and your bow. A rainsuit might take a while to put on, and getting the pants on over boots might be a hassle if the suit doesn't have leg zippers (most do).

LostArra

WKR
A poncho sounds like a good idea until the wind picks up. Then it feels like you're in a tent with no poles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Felix40

WKR
I wouldnt leave the pants behind but I dont like being cold and wet. I hunt through the rain and lots of times it will rain for several hours every day of a hunt. Even if you wait out the rain the skunk cabagge and ferns will be wet and soak you as soon as you leave the tent. At least thats the case in most if sw colorado. Youll have to decide what the climate is like wherever you are going.

Also, we got snow and hail opening week last year so you cant count on warm weather in august. It could be highs in the 80s too so you never know.

FlyGuy

WKR
If you go with a poncho I would consider adding gators to your kit. Otherwise your lower legs will soak through quickly from wet brush/grass, then your socks get soaked, then your feet get destroyed.

I carry a suit (dewpoint) and I just added a sheep tarp to my kit to play around with this year. It's small, light, and goes up fast. Planning to use the tarp to keep me and gear dry during occasional heavy downpours, to get out of wind or sun during glassing/mid day naps, protect meat from sun/rain, or to spike with if unexpectedly spending a night away from camp.

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
For hunting archery in Colorado, I've never used a poncho. A rain jacket and some DWR coated pants that dry quickly is really all I've ever needed. The storms roll in just as quickly as they run out... The shelter of an evergreen/pine can usually allow you enough shelter to let the storm pass...

Good Luck

HawkCreek

Lil-Rokslider
For just sitting I prefer a poncho but for moving around especially through trees and brush I'd go with the rain suit. I tried it before and for me the poncho just gets caught on things and I end up fighting the poncho and usually get wet underneath anyway. However, like I said for sitting I really like them as they can be pulled open to not only cover me but also better break up my outline.

Beendare

WKR
Rain jacket for me.

On those Elk/Deer hunts in the high mtns I do have a UL poncho I use for hunkering down in those heavy downpours of rain/hail...and also as a survival shelter for overnights.