Rain Tarp

Does anyone carry an extra tarp for backpacking hunts or just regular backpacking when rain is expected? I probably wouldn’t do it if I was by myself as I could just hang out in my tent, but I feel like it would be good to have when going with a small group so there’s still a place to congregate. Maybe even get a fire going underneath to warm up and dry off a bit.

If you do, what size do you bring? I was thinking of getting a 10x12 that weighs about 1.5# for about $40 on Amazon.

I pitch a tarp off the entrance to my hilleberg like an awning for that reason. Use an extendable pole that goes up to 6 feet for the side furthest from the shelter entrance. Adds lots of space to spread out and store gear/comfort on rainy days. I use an Ultralight tarp though, since I'm backpack hunting a ways in.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I pitch a tarp off the entrance to my hilleberg like an awning for that reason. Use an extendable pole that goes up to 6 feet for the side furthest from the shelter entrance. Adds lots of space to spread out and store gear/comfort on rainy days. I use an Ultralight tarp though, since I'm backpack hunting a ways in.

How do you rig that as an awning? I have a nallo 3 and was thinking of doing this. Keeps the rain off the door... Not sure how I would connect to tent.

How do you rig that as an awning? I have a nallo 3 and was thinking of doing this. Keeps the rain off the door... Not sure how I would connect to tent.
I do it like a combination of these 2 photos. I have a nallo 2, so the tent side of the pitch looks like the first photo. I use a hilliberg tarp pole for the peak instead of a paddle like the 2nd photo. Depending on weather/wind/location, I'll tie the edges up like the first photo for more space or down like the 2nd photo for more protection.

I use a Hilleberg tarp 10. A kifaru aegis would also be a good option I think. Not sure if something smaller like the tarp 5 or sheep tarp would work well or not.
d616c2b4037cfb357d942488a2116bb1.jpg
6bb1289defb3b900ab11a4c3ba3b4c4f.jpg

NW307

Lil-Rokslider
My silnylon tarp is one of the most useful things I carry. It's been the difference between running back to camp or stringing it up in some trees and riding out a storm. Tons of uses, ground sheet, tent, tarp for meat processing, emergency shelter, etc. Ive even used it as a sun shade if i'm glassing for extended periods of time. I taught myself to sew by making one a few years ago. I'd definitely recommend one.

I do it like a combination of these 2 photos. I have a nallo 2, so the tent side of the pitch looks like the first photo. I use a hilliberg tarp pole for the peak instead of a paddle like the 2nd photo. Depending on weather/wind/location, I'll tie the edges up like the first photo for more space or down like the 2nd photo for more protection.

I use a Hilleberg tarp 10. A kifaru aegis would also be a good option I think. Not sure if something smaller like the tarp 5 or sheep tarp would work well or not.
d616c2b4037cfb357d942488a2116bb1.jpg
6bb1289defb3b900ab11a4c3ba3b4c4f.jpg

Thanks. Looks like center cord over tent and to a ground stake and corner chords just pegged out. I have eno profly for my hammock, thought to use it with tent for an awning. 6'x10' or so.

ewade07

WKR
If i know its going to rain and have a chance of raining good i will bring it. Having a tarp with has saved my ass on multiple occasions. The joy of being able to sit and cook out of the rain after being dumped on for hours truly cant be described.

netman

WKR
I have a Mountain Smith tarp I use quite a bit. I stretch mine between trees or whatever I can wrap a rope around . I tried to find a picture of it in use with a fire under it but couldn’t. I’ll see if my wife took a snapshot

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
Love my tarps. I have a 5x7 Rab silnylon tarp that I carry in my daypack for waiting out storms or unplanned bivouacs. Not much space but it weighs only 7 ounces.

For backpacking I think a 10x10 offers way more space and utility--love that size for a plow point or any variant of a lean-to

Rich M

WKR
I do truck camping and either set 2 tents or a tent and a tarp/shelter.

Also carry a 5x7 nylon tarp in my pack at all times - got wet once and was able to use the tarp to channel heat from fire onto me to 1 warm me up and 2 dry my clothes. Likely saved my life.

nrh6.7

WKR
I recently bought a SO Silex for just this purpose. Will work great for glassing, riding out a storm or if I need to stay out overnight.

Mountainman3

Lil-Rokslider
I have a warbonnet brand. Super light and durable. Not cheap thou.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a few. Whether I pack one and the size depends on the weather I am likely to encounter. I cheaper synilon one will do the trick. 8x5 or 6x9 is handy for a day shelter from sun or rain. 10x10 is a good size for a camp gathering place for 3-4.

Seek outside dst is a great option.

gustafsj

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 6x9 from Borah Gear for 1-2 man trips and a 12x12 from Guide Gear for 3+ or when we know there is going to be a lot of wet weather. This is in addition to a standard shelter and used for needing to get out of the rain in wet weather and reflect heat back on you if you had a campfire. And yes, to use as an awning on a tent as well if needed.

Mosby

WKR
I have two tarps. A Kifaru sheep tarp and a Seek Outside DST( that I just got this week). A lot of uses for them.

tdot

WKR
I recently bought a SO Silex for just this purpose. Will work great for glassing, riding out a storm or if I need to stay out overnight.

Have you glasses from the Silex yet? It's my one hesitation on that setup right now. If the door is up enough to glass, I'm not seeing how thered be very much coverage. Am I wrong thinking that?

Always have my BearPaw 8x10 or Kifaru Sheep Tarp with me. Way to handy and versatile to leave at the Truck.

I've got a 10x8 silnylon tarp that only leaves my pack when being used. As noted above may be the greatest multi use item in my pack.