rain testing

well i was out for a bit this weekend with the dog and looking for some sheds and it wasnt all that cold but raining like crazy so i decided not to wear rain gear and see how some other items fair.
helly hansen odin guide pant - the pants are a softshell with some sort of dwr, i really like them, breathable, stretchy, tough, great in snow and ive worn them in 70degf weather as well. about 30min before they were soaked through
kuiu guide jacket - after about an hour i was clammy and questioning if i was soaked through on the hood and shoulders, 1.5hr definately soaked
kuiu gaiters - 2.5hr of wet grass, light wading and sloshing through flooded clearcuts, held tough the whole time
hanwag alaksans - same as above plus they got the hose when i got home
kifaru longhunter - everything inside was wet, i had some gear in a chamber pocket in the lid, pocket soaked, gear soaked
fhf bino - binos stayed pretty dry and were functional
fhf camera pouch - case got wet but camera stayed relatively dry and functional

24458_610307822330603_500789036_n.jpg

food for thought i guess

littlebuf

Banned
I know where that pic was taken. we weren't far from each other if you were up Saturday morning. I just don't go in that way much any more. ive been looking at those gators for a while,glad to hear they work. I may have to try them out.

I know where that pic was taken. we weren't far from each other if you were up Saturday morning. I just don't go in that way much any more. ive been looking at those gators for a while,glad to hear they work. I may have to try them out.

Those gaitors were definitely one of my favorite new additions last year! I pretty much refuse to wear rain pants so allowing me to wear breathable pants and keeping the bottom of my pants dry has been priceless.

Mike

littlebuf

Banned
ive been running the kenetreks for 2 years now and I love them. very tough. im the same way, I don't wear rain pants ever. precip jacket and gators have been a great rain suit for me. the one complaint I have about the kennys is there heavy. are the kuiu ones pretty light? like summer/early fall light?

ive been running the kenetreks for 2 years now and I love them. very tough. im the same way, I don't wear rain pants ever. precip jacket and gators have been a great rain suit for me. the one complaint I have about the kennys is there heavy. are the kuiu ones pretty light? like summer/early fall light?

They are pretty light weight wise. I wore mine with board shorts this last summer and while my legs sweated underneath them they obviously had no problem drying once done hiking. I can get a weight tomorrow for you if you want.

Mike

jherald

WKR
I like OR Expedition crocodiles. Heavy duty but not heavy weight. And the bootstrap is field replaceable. Be sure and downsize with the expedition gaiters, my dad got a large but they were too big so i sold them off to get him mediums. They are slightly oversized in sizing.

jherald

WKR
OR offers them in multicam too for you fed/leo/mil guys. You can get multicam from OR direct.

OP
fillthefreezer

i figured you might... this was sunday, i like the hill to get my heartrate up to start.
the dog bumped a herd not long after taking this, his head was down, nose on the ground, he didnt even look up at them...

my gaiters weigh 11.2 but you would probably want the XL
i can weight them next to my wifes med. kennys if you want