Raise your hand if you did not get an elk this season

TexasIcon

FNG
🙋‍♂

Two separate trips to Montana. A total of 9 days hunting. No elk.

I did get a muley and had a great experience. First time elk hunting in Montana and it was beautiful. I loved the terrain and my lungs appreciated the lower altitude. Will be back next year.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
🤚

Due to some unforeseen circumstances at my new house in Arizona I was only able to spend 3 days in Idaho chasing bull elk. Brand new area. Found a group of Bulls early evening on day 3. Not enough time to get to them.

rideold

WKR
🖐
None seen during Archery. Tried a new area and paid the price. It would be a great area during later seasons especially if there was a lot of snow on the ground.
Saw some during 3rd Rifle but either didn't match my tag or they were in areas we just couldn't get into. We had old snow on the ground from day 1 and it was LOUD!

Wapiti1

WKR
I whiffed a 40 yard slam dunk MZ shot in Colorado. That is the story of my elk season. Still had a great hunt. 10 days and 12 bulls called in. It's been a long while since I whiffed due to nerves, but it got me. Didn't get my head down and shot over his back.

Jeremy

slick

WKR
Sign me up.
Spent 10 days locally chasing bulls with no tag in my pocket during archery season. Helped pack a bull.
Spent another 10 days with a rifle tag in pocket. Partner shot a young bull. I elected to pass on raghorns.
Another 8 days with a childhood friend chasing spikes (his tag). Of course it was big bull central.
5 more days in MT chasing elk with an old friend. Bunch of post rut lazy bugles.

Note to self..."Self, always have two bull tags every season"

my 2nd skunk in the past 18yrs:cautious:

pretty clear pattern... damn struggle stick! neither year i was skunked was due to lack of opportunities, but something about packing that recurve gives me the burning desire to prove you can miss a whole mature bull elk at spitting distance.... how many times do i have to prove it to myself before i'm satisfied proving it?

new plan next year, compound for elk, and i'll hunt blacktails with the struggle stick... it's been a long time since getting blacktail skunked, so why not? haha. if i'm going to leave a tag on the table, i will pick the deer tag, because elk have a lot more food on them.

Jethro

WKR
No elk here. Hunted 8 days CO 2nd rifle OTC. Saw 4 cows 2 hours into opening day and 2 cows at 5pm on our last evening. That’s it.

manitou1

WKR
Buddy came close a couple of times in archery season. No opportunities for me. Couldn't find a decent bull during season. Now have a cow tag and can only turn up bulls. Watched seventeen bulls a long while this morning... a few were dandies.
A very unusual season here.

🤷‍♂️I had plenty of days but couldn’t make it happen in Idaho then Oregon cascade general rifle season was moved 3 weeks later and i couldn’t find elk in my usual spots. 🤔 just another opportunity to improve

This was the most awesome skunk thats ever happened to me. I packed in to the backcountry and set up camp opening weekend and was into elk the first 2 weekends. When i took time off for the last 14 days and went in, i didnt see anymore elk after 3 and a half days and found out 11 other hunters moved into the area while i was at work.

I packed up camp and went to an area i scouted in 2009 and was into bulls daily after that hunting from truck camp. I called 6 into bow range but never had a shot. I had to hunt them where they were at. Which was on steep slopes choked with deadfall and thick black timber. I will be back there. Noone else was hunting that nasty shit so i had it all to myself. It was pretty unbelievable the amount of call ins. The 6 i mentioned were the ones i saw. There were about a dozen that i suspect were in or close to bow range, but i did not see them for the terrain i was in.

Last edited: