Raise your hand if you did not get an elk this season

Still figuring this out. Please bear with me.

I spent nearly six weeks hunting. Covered close to 450 miles on foot and horseback and only saw elk twice - no bulls and no deer.

Only the second time skunked in over 50 years. The last two years have really sucked.

🤚 Called in at least one during Colorado first rifle but it snuck up through thick timber and smelled us. We got chased out of the backcountry by snow.

✋ Burned 7 points and struck out in Oregon this year with the rifle.

My best opportunity was on the second day of my hunt. I glassed up two nice 6x6 bulls feeding. But the only shot I could get wound up being 350 yards across a canyon, with a 20 mph cross wind, at last light, after about a 400 yard crouch-sprint. Just couldn’t bring myself to send it. Figured I’d pull back and get on them next morning, but they were gone. Ive replayed that decision in my mind every day since then. Motivation to practice my shooting, for sure.

Like2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't even see an elk. ☹️

Suppose that's what I get for having the last tag of the season.
Yep me too. I had a depredation tag and usually there’s elk down in the fields or on the private foothills but I only saw them one time. Not enough snow/cold enough to push them down this year.

Fatcamp

WKR
Yep me too. I had a depredation tag and usually there’s elk down in the fields or on the private foothills but I only saw them one time. Not enough snow/cold enough to push them down this year.

Same. I smelled elk one time while in some thick timber, but just didn't understand it at the time.

tylerwhat

FNG
Did my first solo elk hunt during 2nd rifle in Colorado. Unfortunately, didn't even see an elk. I really enjoyed my time out in the woods though.

G8ters

Lil-Rokslider
👎

saw lots of elk on private land in Montana. Where they were very comfortable staying. Saw a cow elk for a fleeting second through the timber. Nothing else.

lintond

WKR
I didn’t even see a bull this year. Was not a great year for me in terms of time in the field. :( Hoping for a better year in 2022

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mosby

WKR
I didn't draw a tag but my oldest son did and I went with him and got him on some bulls. He passed on a smaller bull and then chased a couple of bigger bulls but couldn't get a clean shot. We had fun though.

Jkean949

FNG
Two kids in diapers limited my hunting this past season....this year it's on like donkey kong though.

✋ Late Season Archery in AZ, solo. First archery elk tag. Got to put on a few shitty stalks and got within 100 yds of a rag horn on day 7. Got my ass kicked but had a blast.