Raised Cheek Piece -- Savage 99

maverick2

FNG
One of the things on my list of "to do" items now for a while has been to find a raised cheek piece to install on my Savage 99 "project rifle" to raise the comb to a height where my eye naturally lines up with the scope. I couldn't find a leather one that looked/functioned like I wanted it to, and all the pre-fab plastic ones looked pretty cheesy to me, so I played around with some Kydex during my downtime over the holidays and made one to custom fit the 99 stock as well as my face. I'm pretty pleased with how it came out (particularly since this was my first effort with Kydex.) I "trial and errored" some patterns with paper, used one piece of Kydex to conform to the wood comb, a second piece to serve as the new raised comb, and then fiddled with heights and angle of the second piece to get the fit I wanted. Once I got the configuration right, I attached the 2 pieces together with epoxy at the kydex edges in contact with one another, filled the void space between the 2 with expandable foam, and then sealed the exposed ends with epoxy. It ended up being pretty simple to do. Getting the right fit was easy and quick -- found myself spending more time trimming and playing with the aesthetics part to get it to look the way I wanted. When complete, the finished cheek piece weighed in a little under 5 ounces. Had I to do it again, I'd have trimmed a little less expandable foam out of the open end (which required more epoxy) and used the thinner sheet of Kydex (.06) for the outer exposed surface instead of the thicker stuff (no reason to go thicker with the inside filled with foam and epoxy). Had I done these 2 things it would have resulted in one that weighed less than 4 ounces.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Well done. Definetly better then stacking foam, covering it with gorilla tape, and then throwing on a neoprene sleeve. That's how my rem 700 rolls and while functional, I've never been happy with it.

I think I just found another winter project.

As a savage shooter I love it. If mine wasn’t in need of a new buttstock I’d be putting your idea to use.

Is there a back story to that gun or just one you own?

OP
M

maverick2

FNG
As a savage shooter I love it. If mine wasn’t in need of a new buttstock I’d be putting your idea to use.

Is there a back story to that gun or just one you own?

Not too much of a backstory. My first rifle was a .308 99f that my Dad handed down to me in 1972, and it's been my favorite rifle to shoot ever since. When I taught my daughter (now 13) to shoot 4 years ago, we pulled various rifles out of the gun safe to play with, and she latched onto my 99 with a gleam in her eye, and has claimed ownership ever since. Now that she is my primary hunting partner, I've been on the lookout for another 99 in good shape so I can have one to carry again, and ran across this one which is pretty much a twin (another .308 99f) to "my daughter's" rifle. For me, the only downside to a 99 is that it fit my 12 year old self perfectly, but is a little small for my current 6'2" frame to shoot a lot comfortably, so I turned this rifle into a "project" to make it comfortable to shoot in order to use as my primary big game (deer, elk, bear, …) rifle. So far, I've removed the crescent shaped butt plate and shaped a piece of 1/2" UHMW to serve as a spacer between the curved butt and an added recoil pad in order to gain 1.25" in length of pull, and then made the cheek piece above. Together, those two additions make it pretty darn nice for me to shoulder and shoot. Next step is to rebore this to a .358 Win, followed by refinishing the stock, and then this particular "project" will be done. (I've since found another 99f .308 that will undergo much the same routine, except I'll drop a new barrel onto it, turning it into a .243 for varmints, coyotes and wolves.) I don't anticipate hunting outside of North America, so basically anything I hunt from here on out will likely be with one of these three 60-yr old Savage 99f's...

Man after my own heart. Before this season I’ve never hunted with anything other than a 99e in .300Savage from around 40 or 41. My grandfather bought it from his dads general store and hunted with it until he gave it to my dad... I’ve got a little man that wears my rifles original owners name that will hopefully be the next new owner.

OP
M

maverick2

FNG
Man after my own heart. Before this season I’ve never hunted with anything other than a 99e in .300Savage from around 40 or 41. My grandfather bought it from his dads general store and hunted with it until he gave it to my dad... I’ve got a little man that wears my rifles original owners name that will hopefully be the next new owner.

Nice! Aside from being pretty unique and cool rifles, they seem to inspire more of a sense of nostalgia/history and personal attachment among hunters than most other rifles I'm familiar with.