Raking Strategies-Do You Rake?

ElkNut1

WKR
This is a topic that goes different directions with many hunters. Some say Raking is an important part of successful Elk Hunting/Calling while others say it can run bulls off so are hesitant to use this tactic. The question is; should hunters consider this tactic? Before we personally entertain this we need to understand why & when bulls rake!

Here's a short list of when & where bulls rake their antlers on trees, brush, etc.

>>>>>>>>>>

Bulls rake at wallows & waterholes

Bulls rake on trails from feeding to bedding

Bulls rake/display for cows

Bulls rake when challenging or warning other bulls

Bulls, especially subordinate bulls rake as an invite to other bulls

With these things in mind when is a good time to implement this behavior?

Can Raking be used alone or do elk sounds need to accompany it?

Have you had good or bad results from raking?

ElkNut/Paul

A buddy and I tried it last season for the first time. It was the first week of the season and we watched a big bull chase another decent bull across a meadow. We snuck into the timber and started raking. Sure enough on our first sequence we called a bull in, unfortunately he caught our wind and ran away but it was awesome none the less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sshhhh!

In all seriousness, since we started raking with intensity the past 5 years the results have been phenomenal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heavily pressured elk, we started raking and very light low volume chuckles Work very well for us. Full blown bugles it was thundering hooves in the other direction on that same hunt.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Raking has been the death of many of my bulls.....often if in a bugling chess match violent raking a quick scream run up 20 yds and get ready👍 4 for 4C408C50-9F03-40D3-A377-9B31FA139C4C.jpegme and stood next to my buddy on the 5th
all fell to heavy raking it can be like candy to a baby. My last archery bull all in otc units we chased for an hour my brother and set up for the umpteenth time and here he came screaming as my brother raked froze as he saw tines and he came into 4.5 yds incredibly rushD5814974-1C49-4C18-A8F3-01243D451434.jpeg48A26D75-530E-4FDE-87A2-8296CDE4D739.jpegAE35B230-FA68-4F8B-8861-118524242E54.jpeg7C12616E-B98F-44AA-9B04-2AEE948A96AA.jpeg

Last edited:

Swede

WKR
I have used raking at waterholes/wallows where I had a tree stand with mixed results. It has always been a part of what amounts to a single event cold calling. I rake some, splash the water and often will make one short bugle. I have never had a bull immediately run in. I am sure the ones that came in heard my raking sequence, but came in slowly after delaying. I had my equipment ready to go up the tree, so there was plenty of time to get up and ready.
I do not believe I have ever been busted doing the raking or ever ran off a bull near my tree stand. At least I have seen no evidence of an adverse affect there.
I have not been successful raking when out moving around. I have had bulls come in silent, and got busted. I hate those sneaky bulls.

87TT

WKR
I have done it but not enough I guess. Have been doing it more though.

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Yes sir, as seen by photos & comments Raking can be utilized as a huge part of ones arsenal. I know for myself that 90% of bulls we either call in or take has to do with Raking added to the calling! There are occasions when hunting close to pressure that I utilize softer calling or raking on its own when I know I'm 150 yards or closer to a bull. This way other hunters can not hear my display but you can bet the bull can!

Understanding why & when bulls rake will help us to know what's what & why! It's easier to apply a strategy when you can Read The Situation at hand! Some bulls will not tolerate fast aggressive calling on our part so we need to recognize this & adjust our thinking & Fit In on the fly! Other bulls that show aggressive action right off can be handled with more aggressive bugling & raking.

If you're cow calling a bull & you are close enough (inside 100 yards) there are occasions you can hear him raking, this displaying action shows his interest & wants you to come his way!

On another note bulls will display for cows coming into estrus along with subtle sounds as he shows excitement with her in his presence. If another bull here's him it can draw him in to scent check the area as he too has the same urges as the bull with the hot cow. It's understanding situations as this that we in turn can use as a Tactic against bulls as we arouse their Instinct To Breed! This is a great tactic on those lethargic bedded bulls.

Of course along with raking despite the situation it's good to kick debris, roll rocks kick boot heels on the ground & any other thing than can simulate your sequence! All in all Raking Is King.

ElkNut/Paul

kicker338

WKR
Dan Kolr owner of deep timber sounds puts on a very good seminar on elk calling talks a lot as when , where and how to rake. I've tried his tactics and get real good results using them.