Raking

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
Anytime has some success with just raking around this time of year or during the pre rut in a week? What’s your strategy when raking

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
raking can be good any time and has sealed the deal on several of my bulls rake stop rake some more stop listen maybe throw in a few calls, when engaging I’ve often raked bugled quick and moved forward to catch them coming in hot doing the same this last bull was shot at 4.9 yds in this sequence waiting till broadside screaming frontal at 20 at my brother raked violently and froze watching the sequence unfold👊4B64E918-EA86-45C0-A8F4-CE6DA50964FC.jpeg

OP
C

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
raking can be good any time and has sealed the deal on several of my bulls rake stop rake some more stop listen maybe throw in a few calls, when engaging I’ve often raked bugled quick and moved forward to catch them coming in hot doing the same this last bull was shot at 4.9 yds in this sequence waiting till broadside screaming frontal at 20 at my brother raked violently and froze watching the sequence unfold👊View attachment 210161
What time of year do you try it

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use everything and anything opening day on to try and turn one on or bring one in that bull was shot 9/29 this bull was shot 9/10 and pulled from a herd to check Out a crazy raking jungle bull I’ve always been aggressive and learned in the 80s that being aggressive is more fun👍And also trying the gammut of tactics but also learning it does not always work but when it does oh man🤙7B2DE481-1F40-4B08-A4FC-E38701B53287.jpeg

OP
C

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
I use everything and anything opening day on to try and turn one on or bring one in that bull was shot 9/29 this bull was shot 9/10 and pulled from a herd to check Out a crazy raking jungle bull I’ve always been aggressive and learned in the 80s that being aggressive is more fun👍And also trying the gammut of tactics but also learning it does not always work but when it does oh man🤙View attachment 210169
Haha love it! Thanks for the info

StillBald

FNG
I found a bull with a couple of cows first week of September about 150-200 yards off. He was hanging out and wouldn't come in until I got angry, yelled at him, and started raking. He came in on a string to 4 yards. It was my first season and he came in quick enough I just didn't expect it and he ended up busting me, but it definitely got my adrenaline going and confirmed that'll I'll be chasing elk for many more years to come.

ElkNut1

WKR
Make sure you use an elk sound before you start raking. A Chuckle, short bugle, cow call, etc. More elk get pushed away by Raking when no elk sound has been introduced first especially on OTC hunts. Yes, you can rake first & have a good result but don't count on it, it's rare, most elk will move off. Elk are not like us humans, we want them to think it's just a bull in their area raking, but elk can view it as a predator or a threat when branches start breaking for no reason; most don't stick around to find out! Good luck!

ElkNut

OP
C

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
Make sure you use an elk sound before you start raking. A Chuckle, short bugle, cow call, etc. More elk get pushed away by Raking when no elk sound has been introduced first especially on OTC hunts. Yes, you can rake first & have a good result but don't count on it, it's rare, most elk will move off. Elk are not like us humans, we want them to think it's just a bull in their area raking, but elk can view it as a predator or a threat when branches start breaking for no reason; most don't stick around to find out! Good luck!

ElkNut

Thanks for the input! I just purchased your app today and have been loving the material!!

the_bowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
87ab2ebb5af8b1a86cf609aec88605e4.jpg

Biggest bull I had come in last season was from raking. We stayed on him for a couple hours but he would never commit to coming in. Finally, I turned to my hunter and cameraman and told them to be as loud as possible while hiking. Turned to some aggressive bugles and cut him off every time he responded. Didn’t take very long until he was raking the same bush that I was with my hiking sticks. Definitely fun to see them all pissed off and coming in looking for a fight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk