Ram 1500 eco Diesel

Looking to get a new to me truck and have found some reasonably priced Ram Eco diesels around me in the 2015-2017 age range.

Wondering what owners thoughts are, likes/dislikes, issues, and watch outs.

Just starting to look now so not dead set but would like to get some opinions. Don't pull a lot of weight, enclosed trailer now and again and a Boat. I do put a fair amount of mileage on each year so fuel economy and ability to last into high mileage are important. Current '07 Chevy has 225k and is going to get retired into a hunting rig if I pull the trigger on something newer.

ZDR

WKR
I did test-drive a 2020 ecodiesel and really liked it. I ended up with a hemi, but have occasional second thoughts when I pull my trailer. The ecodiesel has amazing torque and MPG. The hemi has amazing power and average mpg.

The one thing to watch out for with the older ecodiesels that I have heard is they were caught up in the diesel emissions issue a few years ago and may have been modified to the point of losing some of their advantages. I do think it is easy enough to check though...

fishslap

WKR
I did the emissions recall on my 16 Laramie 1500 with 50k miles. It was dangerous to drive after that. It had almost no acceleration out into traffic until it was at highway operating temps. Warming it up for 15 minutes on a 90 degree day did not help. I got a $3k settlement check from the class action lawsuit and traded it in on a new 5.7 hemi. The dealership gave me the best deal they could, discounted a factory lift kit, and threw in a spray in bed liner. I almost switched to ford but I’m liking the new truck. I’d never buy an eco diesel again. It was decent before the recall but I did run out of power on interstate hills in the mountains not towing anything. Good fuel economy.

Beendare

WKR
Ram had to buy back a bunch of those Eco Diesels....due to lying about the stats when they sold them. They still drive well...and get very good mileage....from the sample size of Two that I've seen.

Last edited:

fishslap

WKR
I should mention that I don’t tow, but the new truck I have has the e torque engine, a 3.92 rear axle, and a 33 gal fuel tank.

Reactions: ZDR

Unclemoe

FNG
when i bought my 2016 ram 1500 my dealer told me they sell the 5.7s 10 to 1 to the eco diesel but have well over double the diesels in the shop vs the gas made an easy choice for me.

numbers may be off a bit its been 4 or 5 years but last i talked to anyone it was still lot less diesels sold but alot more problems

SDHNTR

WKR
My dads 2018 has a persistent oil leak they can’t fix. About to lemon it.

JohnnyB

WKR
I love my 2017 RAM eco diesel. I was driving a 2016 Ford prior and am very happy with the purchase. Because CA made the dealers hold the 2017 inventory until the emissions settlement, I bought it at the same time the 2018s came out but with 20k in rebates. The mpg is very impressive. Been to Montana 5 times in it and it is very comfortable.

I don't tow normally so I can't comment although I did tow a Jeep Cherokee to Montana on one of the trips and there was plenty of power. My buddy bought his RAM at the same time and uses it to tow a bass boat regularly. He loves the RAM.

So far, at 57k miles I am a big fan. I have had GMC, Chevy and several Fords but will stick with RAM if things don't start falling apart.

I have a 2015 Ram Ecodiesel. I enjoyed several trouble free years thinking I'd struck gold with my purchase. It was a great truck for a few years.

Then the AEM recall happened and I've had nothing but problems since. In addition to the issues another poster had, I was on my way to my son's deer unit to scout for 4 days 2 weeks ago and check engine light came on with along with a message and another problem light showing "Service Engine Throttle Control" and lost all power, it was 113 degrees outside and I was in the middle of nowhere with no phone service. I immediately turned around watching my gauges for trouble and I could only go about 35 mph. I somehow got back near town and pulled over and turned the truck off once I had service. It's taken them 2 weeks to diagnose a bad turbo and EGR cooler. Of course the EGR cooler is on back order and was just told today it will take 2 weeks before I get my truck back.

Going to trade it in once I get it back.

rodney482

WKR
Only buy a 3rd gen version

ive got 2020 EcoD and love it. Ive also owned several hemis.

i get 20+ mpg towing my 3000# boat. I do lots of trips to Lake Erie 3.5 hrs 1 way... my hemi was getting 12 mpg at best.

keller

WKR
I am a Chrysler tech of 30 year's I would not take an eco diesel if they gave it to me.. too unreliable and expensive to fix.evem if it's under warranty do you want to get stuck in the mountains or half way or miss your hunting trip . How much time do you have to keep taking your vehicle into the dealer. Just being honest I see it way too often

Trr15

WKR
My dad has a 2017 eco-diesel and tows a 20' travel trailer with it. He hasn't put a ton of miles on it (less than 40K) but he really likes it. Says it pulls a lot better than the F350 gasser he traded in for it.

keller

WKR
The hemis 5.7 and 6.4 don't break any fuel economy records but are as reliable or more reliable than anything on the market.the big fuel tank is a plus.i have an o6 mega cab 5.9 diesel last of the good diesels and love it.will replace it with a gassesr unless something changes. They have changed the cummins from reliable to unreliable with emissions and def.

ahlgringo

WKR
dad has had a 5.9 and 6.7 2500 and 300k on both.

I am sure you realize those are completely different engines. The cummins have proven to be awesome and arguably the most reliable, tough as nails diesels out there. The puegot/fiat 3.0 ecodies is a pos in my book. Had one in a Grand Cherokee- never again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoSwede

FNG
I've been plenty happy with mine. Just drove 1100 miles CO to MN and was getting 29 MPG until I turned North into a headwind and then it dropped to 27. This is my second ECO (sold first at 100k miles and the only trouble was a bad glow plug.) I've heard all the other problems but knock on wood mine has been awesome.

OP
S
Thanks for all the info guys, gives me pause for sure, I will keep looking and look at a hemi or the v6 gasser.