Ram 1500 eco Diesel

I am sure you realize those are completely different engines. The cummins have proven to be awesome and arguably the most reliable, tough as nails diesels out there. The puegot/fiat 3.0 ecodies is a pos in my book. Had one in a Grand Cherokee- never again

That’s why I would go to a 2500.
I tried to talk my friend out of a eco diesel after my uncle had so many issues. Now the epa is another story.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have a 2015, its been a big POS. It had $21,000 in emission warranty work.

I yanked all the emissions off and deleted the DEF. Its been much better since. But I would not buy one again.

Last edited:
I test drove a 20 and thought it was nice. Didn't love the lag but thought it was nice overall for someone that doesn't drive with a lead foot like me. I liked the hemi better. They're so nice inside that I almost pulled the trigger but decided to go in another direction.

gbflyer

WKR
So many problems with tier 4 diesels in the higher HP range. Wouldn’t even consider that Ram 1500.

Fullfan

WKR
Wife Had a 2016 Eco diesel. Truck was great grocery getter at first. Would get 26-28 mpg. But for towing it was a no-go. The truck did not like a 21' 4500lb ski boat or a two horse slant feather lite trailer. Mileage would drop to around 12-13 and the oil temp would climb to 260-275. Around 40k miles started having problems, the egr was replaced twice, oil cooler replaced and several other things. Truck was replaced with a 3/4 Chevt Duramax

Scorpion

WKR
I have a 2014 Laramie Limited and I very much like the truck overall. I have almost 180K on it now, mostly trouble free. Deleted the emissions around 110K after a second trip for DPF and SCR issues and it was the best decision I made.

2015-2017 if it’s not deleted stay away, same problem as any modern diesel with emissions equipment. Hemi engines are great, just not great mileage.

danarnold

WKR
We have a 16 that’s been flawless, got it tuned a couple weeks ago, recent trip to Colorado from Missouri
f1173b020a67775d042a3112cf8c5f79.jpg

This was pretty flat 2lane, running 85 the rest of the trip yielded 24. 875 mile avg. 4 people an a bunch of crap in the bed with non stock aggressive tires

Wapiti1

WKR
My Eco is a 2014, almost 100k trouble free miles. As others have done, I did tune it and do the reliability mods to it right after I got it. Pretty sure that is why I have had no issues with it. I learned on a 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD that I took to 300k. That was a fun rig for hunting.

If you can't or don't want to mod your truck, get the 2020 or don't get a Ram. They can be great, or can be a headache.

If I wanted a diesel 1/2 ton, I'd look at the Ford, and Chevy offerings. They seem to have learned from Ram and put out a more refined product.

Jeremy

boom

WKR
I looked at a Chevy Diesel, it was $87,000.00. I didn’t even get past the sticker to look and smell the interior.
phooh. That’s Champagne on my Budweiser budget.

the salesman was yelling something about 84 month financing (To the back of my distant head). I think.

how much is the 2020 dodge?

tdhanses

WKR
I looked at a Chevy Diesel, it was $87,000.00. I didn’t even get past the sticker to look and smell the interior.
phooh. That’s Champagne on my Budweiser budget.

the salesman was yelling something about 84 month financing (To the back of my distant head). I think.

how much is the 2020 dodge?

A 1/2 ton was $87k? I think you were looking at an 3/4 ton LTZ duramax in that range, if all you can afford is a Budweiser why look at the top shelf liquor? All diesels are $10-$15k more then the gas models due to all the emissions crap, unless you want a midsized pickup then it’s not as large of a price gap.

Also the price of any of the manufactures diesels can vary by $25k based on other options.

boom

WKR
A 1/2 ton was $87k? I think you were looking at an 3/4 ton LTZ duramax in that range, if all you can afford is a Budweiser why look at the top shelf liquor? All diesels are $10-$15k more then the gas models due to all the emissions crap, unless you want a midsized pickup then it’s not as large of a price gap.

Also the price of any of the manufactures diesels can vary by $25k based on other options.
I know trucks. I can read a window sticker.

it was a Sierra AT4 diesel. you never just go to the dealership to check out a new rig? And I can afford the truck but that won’t mean I’ll get it. Im really close to early retirement. And paying off my house early. I know what I need to do.

trazerr

Lil-Rokslider

it was a Sierra AT4 diesel. you never just go to the dealership to check out a new rig? And I can afford the truck but that won’t mean I’ll get it. Im really close to early retirement. And paying off my house early. I know what I need to do.

Well, you did say it was a Chevy in your first post. Now you said its a Sierra. GMC is usually more expensive than the comparable chevy so your numbers may make more sense now.

tdhanses

WKR

I do but you made it sound like the std price was $87k, I mean I want a mountain Ranch on 10k acres as well but I don’t make it sound like all properties cost the same. You can get plenty of vehicles with a diesel for less then $87k. Heck when I bought my 2019 F250 gas pickup I could of got a duramax GMC Denali (top package by GM) for $5k more on sale If I had wanted another diesel.

My 2014 Ram 1500 stop running for weeks but that's because I swerved to avoid a head-on with a commercial panel truck, jumped the curb and found a hidden boulder in the landscaping before coming to a stop in the adjacent parking lot which fortunately, was pretty empty. Took the tranny right out.

IMG_2733.JPG

Knock on wood, my truck's been a dream come true. It's a Limited with all the bells and whistles for comfort. Bought it used for 34K and transformed it from a puddle-sniffing mall cruiser into a backcountry beast.

1a7c0b4bce37d5c76bcc8880c19eac79.gif cf21e17ec12b74365212e4954d06a1fd (1).gif

Stripped off the air bag suspension, badges and chrome, added a 6” BDS suspension lift kit, custom wheels, 35” Toyo AT Xtreme tires, color matched Bushwhacker fender flares, color matched steel bumper, 12K winch, shackles front and rear, color matched grille, Powersteps (not shown), stubby antenna, Bedrug, BakFlip MX4 tonneau cover, Dee Zee tailgate assist, McGard tailgate lock, color matched side mirrors, handles, custom lights all around from Retroshop, window tinting, 360* camera surveillance system pretty, full recovery kit,...put a crap-ton of miles on it without any real problems but the computer does act squirrely from time to time and needs to be updated. I have beat this truck up for weeks on end offroad, and my service guy replaces the broken fender flares, buffs out the hillbilly pinstriping to keep it looking nice. Best truck I ever bought and I drove my previous 1999 Ram 1500 Quad cab for 15 years without a problem. You either get a good one or a bad one I think. I love the mileage!!!

mileage june '19.JPG

Only towed with it a couple of times to move my daughter to college but it was like the big enclosed U-Haul wasn't even there. It does what I need it to do and let's me go 50% deeper into the backcountry than my former gasser.

bikeonrack1.JPG

I don't particularly care for it being branded with the name ED though.

Last edited:

boom

WKR
Well, you did say it was a Chevy in your first post. Now you said its a Sierra. GMC is usually more expensive than the comparable chevy so your numbers may make more sense now.
i did make that error. touche.

bisblue

WKR
Also had the truck shut down because the cam sensor came apart. It took two weeks to get the part and they had to pull the tranny to replace it. $1,800 bucks later.... SMH.

I realize this is an older thread, but I love diesels and was planning to retire my Cummins with 357k on it in the next year, and was going to get an EcoDiesel and delete it. I have a VW wagon diesel for around town.
I use my truck to pull a 11' stock trailer, occasionally I toss a stock rack in the bed and jump llamas in it. I was going to install airbags for the rear.

At what mileage did you delete yours, do you think deleting a lower mileage truck would be better in there long run? I live in central Idaho.

tdhanses

WKR
I realize this is an older thread, but I love diesels and was planning to retire my Cummins with 357k on it in the next year, and was going to get an EcoDiesel and delete it. I have a VW wagon diesel for around town.
I use my truck to pull a 11' stock trailer, occasionally I toss a stock rack in the bed and jump llamas in it. I was going to install airbags for the rear.

At what mileage did you delete yours, do you think deleting a lower mileage truck would be better in there long run? I live in central Idaho.
You would be better off with the GM 1/2ton diesel.