Ram 2500 Mechanic question

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a Dodge Ram 2500 Project i am working on and am hoping for a tip or two. I bought a 2014 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi heavy duty at an auction without a bed. It was originally sold as a bed delete and not just a removal. I found a bed to go on it but the wiring on the bed delete is different so i had to splice for the Tail Lights, backup lights etc. instead of plug and play harness. one of the questions i have remaining is about the wiring for the bed lights and switch. On the Driver side, there is a wire hanging down from the switch and a wire hanging from the bed light and on the passenger side a wire hanging down from bed light. I would like to splice into the tail lights so that if headlights are on, i can push switch and bed lights turn on but i am confused on the wiring. assume i splice into switch wire... then is there a hidden wire to bed light? and the hanging light wire needs to jump all the way across to passenger light wire? otherwise, im not sure how it could be supposed to work. is my desired splice doable?

Second question i have, the fuel vent line that runs from the filler tube is held on with little U shaped clips. The clips are very brittle and fall apart in your hands when you unclip the vent line. parts guy at Dodge is unable to answer my question about ordering replacement clips. Either they are DUmb(possibility) or they think you will replace entire filler tube for 75 bucks everytime you unclip the line. An online search finds postings where people have taken Dorman Clips for Gm ford and filed them down too work but im not sure what needs to be trimmed as the one i have is in pieces. Does anyone have any tips on how to fix the broken clips without buying entire filler tube? Tips on trimming the Dorman Clips?

Last edited:

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
Any sort of answers on wiring, especially custom, without any pictures is going to be a shot in the dark but I'll try.

To wire a switch that is only 'hot' when the headlights are on ''should'' be as simple as wiring the power with the headlights and adding a switch or button to that wire to turn them off or on. Then if you leave it on while the headlights are on they will effectively be on/off same as the headlights.

You need to talk to a service manager or one of the actual mechanics about the clips. Easiest may just be going into a shop with some in hand and asking for a part #. They may have no idea what you're on about over the phone.

Titan

WKR
Ram does not use simple 12v wiring. They use CANbus wiring. I am not 100% sure about your exact application, but I believe a CBC (central body controller) module runs the lighting system. Maybe the BCM. Not sure if its the same system as the 1500 or not.

I would suggest purchasing the correct harness plus the LEDs that match the system. One tiny issue will cause DTC's non stop. There might be a "bulb out" override if you do have an issue.

Edited - I reread your first question. If the taillights etc. are working. You can pull 12v directly from the batteryto control the bed lights via a 12v switch inside the cab. You can also use a 5 pin relay, but I don't know if those lights are 12v or something like 10.8v and might not trigger the relay.

gburk

WKR
Dorman. I've had enough bad experiences with that brand of aftermarket crap that I won't buy it under any circumstances. I'm sure in their vast line they source some stuff that is acceptable but I haven't found it. They have succeeded in engineering the quality out.
May not be helpful to you (how bad could a plastic clip be), but didn't want to miss an opportunity to bash where it is due :D

Titan

WKR
Yeah I have come across my fair share of Dorman junk. But I would still rather pay a small amount of money for junk rather than a lot of money for OEM junk. Haha

I am not familiar with the vent tube setup...but can you not figure out a zip tie solution?

OP
E

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
In regards to the vent line issue, i will likely end up with the Zip tie paper clip solution but i cant belive that a mechanic in a doge shop wont have a handful of those clips sitting there ready to use. If i can talk them into giving them to me. Dorman may be junk but they cant be worse than what comes with the truck. literally fall apart in your hand

Lights... not sure what the answer will be there. I don't need them to turn on and off with key remote like some are set up to do but would like to be able to push the button in the bed and turn them on. just not sure of which way the wires run if i snip them off and start splicing

Truck does have the Aux switch panel so i can add additional lighting later.

Titan

WKR
"just not sure of which way the wires run if i snip them off and start splicing"

Thats the issue with CANbus. The wiring is reduced. If you just want 12v on and off, I think the easiest method is to just run your own wires to each light and replace the LED with a 12v one. Forget the OEM Harness.

OP
E

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
"just not sure of which way the wires run if i snip them off and start splicing"

Thats the issue with CANbus. The wiring is reduced. If you just want 12v on and off, I think the easiest method is to just run your own wires to each light and replace the LED with a 12v one. Forget the OEM Harness.

I guess that's the question... if i snip the plug off for the wire coming out of the on/off switch... is that a straight forward Power in splice? and then the wire/plug coming out of drivers light... is that outgoing over to the passenger light or what? Or is there a bunch of complicated OEM harness stuff hidden inside the bed?

PS sorry to sound dumb, just trying to verify before i start cutting off plugs

*** updated.... I did some googling on the CANbus system.... see what you are talking about with it being a complicated question ill keep playing with it

Last edited:
I am a tech at the local dealership and as far as the wiring goes I am clueless but the clips on the other hand you can absolutely take a dorman clip and make it work. There is no pressure on that line and all you want to make sure of is that no crud will get into the fuel tank/evap system.

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider

Titan

WKR
LED Taillights are going to pull very little power. I'm guessing less than 10w each. So less than an amp at 14v.

You will most likely find that some lights are wired using 2 wires and then others will pigtail in with 3-4 wires. Total nonsense.