Ram Pickup CTD 6.7 vs Hemi 6.4

120K miles (200k+ km) on my 2011 3500. No issues with anything so far. It hates 40 below weather (so do I) but fires up if plugged in.

No delete but with the price of diesel its looking better. Dealer up here will even do the delete.

Question: If I ever do a delete and drive it down south and through a state that has emission testing/requirements am I looking at a ticket if some black smoke leaks out the back?
If it doesn't smoke obnoxiously, you won't have issues.

OP
golfbum

golfbum

WKR
Bumping this back up.

I now have 88,600 on my ram ctd. No issues and still considering ditching it for gas 3/4 ton.

Anyone else opinons?

Found an 2018 ram 2500 w/6.4 (6 speed with 3.73 rearend) with 44,000 miles. Looks super clean and they would do an even swap.

I mean if you were comparing buying both that would be one thing.
But you can put new emissions on the truck you have a few times.
And the 6.4 will dive on the used market compared to a ctd
This is exactly what I was going to post.
The reason the OP can get a new gasser for $8k out of pocket is that the diesel resale is so strong.
You won't get that value out of an 8 yr old gasser.
People always comment how many miles you would need to drive to pay for the diesel based upon mpg...That's not the real economics of a diesel....You pay for it up front and you get it all back on resale.
The performance advantage is just a bonus.
In Utah, at elevation, I'd keep the TD....A gasser would gag above 5k.

I have a '22 F250 with the 7.3 gas. It's a beast. Tow a 33' 5th wheel every month around the state. All roads leading away from home require going up a 6-7% grade and have never had an issue. Can pull at speed and have power left. Before I bought it I considered a diesel. This was the better option in my opinion. Sure it drinks alot, but it is what it is.

No way I would consider getting rid of my Cummins diesel in favor of a gasser, especially a Hemi gasser. No
Matter what anyone tells you a gasser will
Never perform work like a diesel, especially at elevation.

If you insist on doing it, find a 7.3 Ford with a 4:30 rear end. That will be as good as a gasser will ever get at towing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro