Ram Pickup CTD 6.7 vs Hemi 6.4

This is what I did too, except it was a duramax for the powerwagon. I know you were asking the other guy, but the powerwagon is way better for tooling around, goes through way more stuff more easily. The flip side is that it was terrible for towing my little 2-horse trailer. I did not expect it to struggle like that. Personally, I would upgrade the lockers and winch. I don't need, or won't ever use, the remainder of the off road items.
Kinda where I was at lockers and a winch will get me out of more trouble than I really hope 2 ever be in

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

wyodan

WKR
Kinda where I was at lockers and a winch will get me out of more trouble than I really hope 2 ever be in

I tried to trade it back, but they himmed and hawed, and I think I am kinda stuck.

It is a good truck, just not what I was expecting when I actually put some miles on it. I don't tow a lot, but my little trailer and the animals that go in it go most everywhere I go for fun.

FLATHEAD

WKR
What type of place would I go to do the complete deletes?
We dont have emissions testing here in the S.E.
Would prolly have to wait till my warranty runs out.
I do love the power of the CTD and I hate to go back in debt
for another truck.

I went from diesel to gas 2 trucks ago. But in fords. I will never own another diesel and tow double what you do a couple times a week. I was worried at first and like you never had any issues with my diesels but costly repairs/horror stories scared me away from them and I couldn’t be happier! My 7.3 with the 10sp is an absolute powerhouse!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
I have had the 6.4l since 2014. 0 issues with 130k miles on it. The fuel saving feature of dropping out cylinders when cruising takes some getting used to, but overall I am happy with my 6.4

I have a 6.7 Cummins for a work truck and I love it. I had an older 5.7 Hemi truck that I swapped Power Wagon axles into, and it was pretty good. Last year I sold it and bought a '14 Power Wagon with the 6.4. Its been a great truck, and its perfect for what I use it for. Its less powerful than the CTD, and gets worse MPG, but its immensely more capable offroad and very fun to drive. I wish I could have afforded a 8 speed truck, but the 6 has been fine.

I daily drive a 6.4L 2500 and occasionally a 6.7L. I'll be towing with both this week.

The 6.4L is very easy to live with and a better daily driver for sure. Both the unloaded ride and the power curves are friendlier in traffic or on back roads. The other guys pretty well nailed the details for towing. Power is "good enough". It will tow 8k on all but most rugged roads. Compression braking is limited, so good trailer brakes are a must.

The major drawback is range. Any kind of heavy or draggy load and I'm getting 7 mpg. Sometimes a 5 gal can is needed to get me home when the Cummins will barely burn half a tank. That can be a real issue at times.

As a note on the Power Wagon (my current DD). The taller and softer springs are a handicap for heavy towing for sure with that model. It gets the job done, but not anywhere near the same confidence that my previous standard model 2500 did.

The 6 spd can have some odd shifting gaps under heavy load / grade conditions. I understand the latest 8 spd takes care of all that.

OP
golfbum

golfbum

WKR
Will probably keep the diesel 6.7, looks like it would be more like 10k to get into the New 6.4 and for that I think I will just keep the 6.7 especially because I have another 45-50k miles in warranty….

Thanks for the feedback and keep it coming if you have something to add! With 82k on my odometer I haven’t had any power train issues (knock on wood)

Will probably keep the diesel 6.7, looks like it would be more like 10k to get into the New 6.4 and for that I think I will just keep the 6.7 especially because I have another 45-50k miles in warranty….

Thanks for the feedback and keep it coming if you have something to add! With 82k on my odometer I haven’t had any power train issues (knock on wood)
I have 147k on my 6.7 knock on wood no major issues I also don't drive like a pissed off teenager so I'm sure that helps

OP
golfbum

golfbum

WKR
How many miles do you guys have on your non deleted modern engines?

Are they still a reliable pickup with all the after treatment stuff?

Geewhiz

WKR
Ive got a '17 with the 6.4. My camper is around 6k loaded and although I've never drug it around with a diesel, the 6.4 does not lack on the power end of things. I can go as fast as I want anywhere I want to go which is nice.

wyosteve

WKR
I'd be very hesitant to do a delete. First, it violates Federal law. Then, most dealers won't touch it on a trade down the road since it's deleted. And, it will likely be very difficult to sell to a private party with the deletes.

Vandy321

WKR
I've always been a diesel guy, towed boats and hauled loads. Bought a 6.4 power wagon last year, previous full size was a 3500 6.7l...6.4L is a fantastic motor, as is the new 8 speed trans

Doubt I'll go back to a diesel unless I buy a monster 5th wheel. The new 8 speed is huge in the mountains. A buddy has a PW in CO here he put headers and a chip in and and pulls a 35ft 5th wheel through the passes, no issues.

The PW rides like a dream, on and off road and is far more capable offroad, don't neglect weight of that diesel vs the 6.4 for offroad capabilities.

Mx is cheaper and easier as well, but is semi offset cost wise due to decreased MPG in the gasser.

OP
golfbum

golfbum

WKR
Ended up buying a older accord to commute around town with. Have 85k on the diesel now but still thinking about ditching the diesel for low mile gas truck.

Anyone have experience with a Nissan Titan xd (pulling 8k loaded camper trailer), or any of the big three gas 3/4 tons. Thinking an f150 would be out of the question as I have read mixed reviews on towing/stopping capabilities with a mid size camper trailer

tuffcity

WKR
120K miles (200k+ km) on my 2011 3500. No issues with anything so far. It hates 40 below weather (so do I) but fires up if plugged in.

No delete but with the price of diesel its looking better. Dealer up here will even do the delete.

Question: If I ever do a delete and drive it down south and through a state that has emission testing/requirements am I looking at a ticket if some black smoke leaks out the back?