Rancher vs Elk in OR

IdahoBeav

WKR
I did a little research online. It looks like the ranch is in the Sled Springs unit.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

It says in the article that they do not allow any hunting.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

I know I was just looking for clarity on your statement.

I don't agree with those land owners at all and hope they see full extent of the law. With that said elk migrate. Just because they are eating you out of house in home in July/Aug doesn't mean they will be there during hunting season.

Jon Boy

WKR
I know I was just looking for clarity on your statement.

I don't agree with those land owners at all and hope they see full extent of the law. With that said elk migrate. Just because they are eating you out of house in home in July/Aug doesn't mean they will be there during hunting season.
If you also read the article it says they were offered depredation tags for when the elk were there bud.

JWP58

WKR
Just because they are eating you out of house in home in July/Aug doesn't mean they will be there during hunting season.

"and that the animals caused a lot of damage on the 450-acre property during a bitter winter"

From the caption below the snowy picture at the very beginning of the linked article in OP.

Bottom line these folks didn't want to allow hunters on their place, didn't want to harvest the elk legally (would require more work than just letting them rot), and wanted the Oregon G&F to either solve the issue or let them do whatever they wanted. Apparently that didn't work out so well for the poacher....I mean rancher.

If you also read the article it says they were offered depredation tags for when the elk were there bud.

I already stated I hope they see full extent of the law.

My point was not allowing hunting and damages arent always a direct correlation,

I have elk laying down corn circles in July/early Aug, as soon as it's cut they are gone. I have 150 plus antelope on winter wheat in Jan, season is in sept with 75 tags for entire unit.

Jon Boy

WKR
The way I've seen depredation tags issued is they can be legal outside of general seasons depending on how they are issued. The way I read the article is they were offered depredation tags during a time period the elk were there. And from the sounds of there statement they released, elk are there through a good portion of the fall as well.
Either way I have a feeling this guy is not going to be getting off easy

Wallowa man arrested, charged with poaching after 25 elk carcasses found | OregonLive.com

There is a lot going on in this situation. Not quite sure what to make of it all.

I have no problem siding with the state on this one. They rejected all the conventional tools legally available and used an illegal method. Case closed. Their stated concerns about hunters endangering neighbors is bull. They are guilty of poaching and wanton waste...no other way to view it IMHO. And yes, I have been added to depred permits in the past and there is no fee for that...based on the wife's statement, "We have allowed people we know, who can utilize the meat, to purchase depredation tags." it would seem she is selling hunting opportunities using the depred permit like a landowner tag which may be illegal. I believe edible meat should be salvaged and not left to rot. One look at the "ranch" in the link above and it's pretty obvious these sloppy people take the easy way out much of the time. What an eyesore. Clean that mess up.

Last edited:

Logan T

WKR
I know some will take offense and to that I say please forgive me but this but many will find it true. That said once I heard he was a Logger and Rancher all bets of this guy use good rational judgment were out.

Dumbest thing I've read on here in a long time.

Moving on, that guy should absolutely have the book thrown at him. 450 acres.... less than 1 square mile. If he can't take any time to just take a leisurely drive through his "ranch" to get them to move out, accept any of the help the Fish and Game offered- which is a lot compared to most instances, or let a single person take an elk or have an opportunity to take an elk then he is entitled and lazy. Forget about the public for a second, he isn't friends with or doesn't know a single person who would have liked to do that? Pretty incredibly stupid.

KMBH

FNG
Too many elk. Check.
They do not want to hunt them, or let others hunt them. Check.
Need to eliminate rotting carcasses. Check...introduce wolves.

In all seriousness, I do not know what this 450 acres is bordered by, I am just so saddened that this could have been a win-win for the rancher and some local hunter(s). Instead a waste of time, money, meat, and energy for everyone.

johnsd16

WKR
I like how they "bring the cattle back" to the ranch in the fall. Sounds like they graze them on someone else's or public then bring them back. Nice that they are ok stealing the elks food in the summer then don't like it when the elk steal back. Sound like they have the same attitude as too many landowners today. If ranching your 450 ac is sooooooo stressful and hard then quit and get another job. Classic have their cake and eat it too. Surprised they didn't point out all the bacteria and plants those carcasses helped.

4rcgoat

WKR
They thought having too many elk on their property was bad?, their problems are just getting started!!

541hunter

WKR
I know some will take offense and to that I say please forgive me but this but many will find it true. That said once I heard he was a Logger and Rancher all bets of this guy use good rational judgment were out.

What does being a rancher or logger have to do with him using rational judgment? This comment asinine and down right disrespectful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TripleJ

WKR

As one of my old high school coaches used to say, what does that have to do with the price of tea in China? Talk about painting with a broad brush. It's one thing to say there's bad apples in every group. It's quite another to say the whole group is rotten. This guy is a jack-wagon poacher and I hope he gets hammered for what he did. From what I've seen in this state, at least most, if not all ranchers and loggers are on our side in support of hunting. Also, I guarantee not many are out doing target practice on herds of elk. Trust me, it would be all over the news. There's plenty of city dwellers up and down the I-5 corridor that would just as soon turn the whole state into a giant nature park with zero hunting and zero fishing. That is the biggest threat to hunting in this state. That will always be a lot more irrational to me than someone making their living in the woods or on the range.

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for your constructive feedback!! Your right I did make a board unfair statement and I apologize to all. Please forgive me, guys. I was pretty upset after reading the wife's playing the victim card in her news release. It's not a good excuse though and again I am sorry.
Brett
As one of my old high school coaches used to say, what does that have to do with the price of tea in China? Talk about painting with a broad brush. It's one thing to say there's bad apples in every group. It's quite another to say the whole group is rotten. This guy is a jack-wagon poacher and I hope he gets hammered for what he did. From what I've seen in this state, at least most, if not all ranchers and loggers are on our side in support of hunting. Also, I guarantee not many are out doing target practice on herds of elk. Trust me, it would be all over the news. There's plenty of city dwellers up and down the I-5 corridor that would just as soon turn the whole state into a giant nature park with zero hunting and zero fishing. That is the biggest threat to hunting in this state. That will always be a lot more irrational to me than someone making their living in the woods or on the range.

SkinnyPete

Lil-Rokslider
I like how they "bring the cattle back" to the ranch in the fall. Sounds like they graze them on someone else's or public then bring them back. Nice that they are ok stealing the elks food in the summer then don't like it when the elk steal back. Sound like they have the same attitude as too many landowners today. If ranching your 450 ac is sooooooo stressful and hard then quit and get another job. Classic have their cake and eat it too. Surprised they didn't point out all the bacteria and plants those carcasses helped.

EXACTLY!!!!! "We sent the ODFW a bill for $10,000" WTF?!
This outlook is typical of people who have NO idea how things work. They wan't everything they can get, but don't want to have to "deal with the wildlife"... "Mr. Shoot the elk" can make his living pulling trees out of the woods for 50 years, but can't grasp how wildlife works? B.S.
Also, as my wife who also grew up in an Oregon ranching family said "How much work do you put into a herd of cattle in a day FFS? Sounds like they were doing it ALL wrong. Idiots!" lol

OR Archer

WKR
Those people can't tell me they couldn't have rounded up some people to come take those elk. Between themselves, family, and friends I'm sure they could have rounded up 8-10 people and baited the elk into a safe shooting area. They could of easily done that a few times and solved their issues all while utilizing the elk and feeding people. Or just get some heavy duty tarps and tarp your stacks up. It's not rocket science. Just boggles my mind the lack of intelligent thought used in this situation.